Helmet Painting 101 Privateer Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

I have been wanting to do this for a while and since I was on call this weekend I decided what better way to spend a afternoon lol. I started with a trimmed pilot helm cast and your basic spraypaint and other easily obtainble materials.

Sorry for the double feature but no matter how I edit it theres no way to show all the points of painting a helm in 10 min.

part 1

Part 2

Thanks for watching.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the ice cream truck :)
very nice tutorial, these tips and techniques will definetly help me when I get to the painting stage.

Thanks for showing us. I really like the airbrush. Hobby Lobby has a set's for under $100, some even $70 here. The only thing you need is a air compressor which is more along the line of the same price but only if you go toward a "home" version. There are a few 4 gallon'ers out there for $120-$150. Plus having a good size air compressor can be used for many things, like bike and car tires to air tools or just blowing out a dusty garage.

Also the black wash was cool to see as well. Not that many videos out there that show it as well as you did.
Thank! Good work!

Not to "air" jack your topic but I was looking around a found this:
Link
hcar4007.jpg

Cheap but looks like it would work. This would be nice for someone just to try it out (doesn't have any air compressor)
Did I mention that it is really cheap (cost wise, quality...idk)

*I haven't looked around* Was that your first Tutorial? That was amazing! I don't have latex so I might use just simple Toothpaste or something of the likes.

I like the whole look of that Watered-Down Black method. Looked like it came right out of a battle straight from the Game! :D

Nice work! I'll be using this for the Marine Project. (And Maybe the ODST helmet, need to raise some money).

finally theres a paint tutorial now the PM's will stop well done man! and alot better than the one i wouldve done

The vids keep getting better. You may need to paint something for me..lol. I will let you know what it is...hahahahaha.

Ithica

Thanks for the tutorial Privateer! :D Got to use this for later projects. Needs to be Stickied.

and the second showed real black washing! impressive on that my friend whos becoming an art teacher laughed at the way i did it (cloth and flat black spray paint)

crackhead09 said:
and the second showed real black washing! impressive on that my friend whos becoming an art teacher laughed at the way i did it (cloth and flat black spray paint)
I found that the way I did it is a bit more idiot proof lol, more time to work and if you screwup you can wash it down fast and its good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was really great! I've got an urge to go paint something now. Honestly, that looks better than the game, what with the black wash and all.

Someone said toothpaste instead of latex - I've heard of people using ketchup or mustard. However, the mustard wouldn't dry on like latex, so masking off areas with mustard would be impossible.

Does the paint burnish or anything when you rub it to uncover the latex areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back