"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been answered but I did a couple searches and couldn't come up with anything. So it's winter here, and I could paint the resin on in my garage(it's not heated), but i know it won't cure in these temperatures, so is it safe to paint on the resin, and then let it sit in my room? I know it's very toxic when you're putting it on, but once it's on, is it safe to bring into an indoor area to cure?

Sorry if this has been answered but I did a couple searches and couldn't come up with anything. So it's winter here, and I could paint the resin on in my garage(it's not heated), but i know it won't cure in these temperatures, so is it safe to paint on the resin, and then let it sit in my room? I know it's very toxic when you're putting it on, but once it's on, is it safe to bring into an indoor area to cure?

No. It's toxic while it's still wet, and (trust me on this) it will stink up the whole house. The hot box is easy to build and it works great. I've used it when the temps are down in the lower teens.

I say if you have the place to do it, outside of course, use your hot box , youll have to experiment with size and what not But a simple flood light will give you ample heat provided you line the box with tin foil, or better yet, make your box out of the sheet foam insulation from lowes and line that with the foil , and as far as light fixtures just hit up your local thrift store, they usually have old lamps and whatnot for mega cheap

Thanks for the replies, and NoxRocks, thanks for the link! I never knew about the hot box and I think that will work sufficiently for working in these damn MN winters.

hi guys

just wanted to ask about this strenghting metohd i was told about, ok so once you have pepped your piece you take fibreglass and cut strips that fit on the piece ( this goes on the outside ) and then use a adhesive spray to keep the piece in place, lift it up and put a coat of epoxy on the pep and lay the fibreglass down again ( remember to snooth out )

the same applies for the inside except your pieces wont need to be exactly cut ( the fibreglass that is )

so first outside and then inside.

does it sound like a good merhod?

Hey people... My name is Richard and i'm doing my armor. Just finished the chest and i have a question: I saw that it's only fiberglassed inside but which resin do i put outside?? The same resin of the fiberglass but whithout fiberglass??

Tks.

Hey people... My name is Richard and i'm doing my armor. Just finished the chest and i have a question: I saw that it's only fiberglassed inside but which resin do i put outside?? The same resin of the fiberglass but whithout fiberglass??

Yes.

567890. (Gotta reach ten characters...)

hi guys

just wanted to ask about this strenghting metohd i was told about, ok so once you have pepped your piece you take fibreglass and cut strips that fit on the piece ( this goes on the outside ) and then use a adhesive spray to keep the piece in place, lift it up and put a coat of epoxy on the pep and lay the fibreglass down again ( remember to snooth out )

the same applies for the inside except your pieces wont need to be exactly cut ( the fibreglass that is )

so first outside and then inside.

does it sound like a good merhod?

Fiberglass goes on the inside of the piece ONLY. You will loose a TON of detail if you put the fiberglass on the outside.

ok i have a question, if we r done fiberglassing and putting resin on the helmet, is it ok to cut the visor out or should i just wait til im done bondoing?

Answers :)

Ok so I am going to try to answer a couple questions here for you all. First off, yes if you are done with glasswork and resin then now is the time to remove the visor area of your helmet prior to any bodywork that will be done on the outside surfaces. Next, yes I suggest sanding to some depgree the resin to at least remove larger drips and bumps making it easier to smooth on the body filler of choice to the outside. I hope this helped you guys and good luck with your projects. Later Gforce598 :cool

hello everyone im kooey and new to the 405th. been up all night researching and cant wait to start my first project, already have a bit of FRP experience as well as ATS i have been in and out of chemical plants making Fiberglass ductwork.

So I'm absolutely new to this, but I'm already on the bondo portion of my first project. Quick question: Could you use the bondo to fill in rather large dents that were made by resining too hard? I have a pretty big dent on the ear portion of the Mark VI and I'm wondering if the bondo could fix it. (Sorry if this might be the wrong thread...)

So I'm absolutely new to this, but I'm already on the bondo portion of my first project. Quick question: Could you use the bondo to fill in rather large dents that were made by resining too hard? I have a pretty big dent on the ear portion of the Mark VI and I'm wondering if the bondo could fix it. (Sorry if this might be the wrong thread...)

You can do that. You can add as much bondo as you need to fix it. I've got a few dents like that like in my chest piece. Or you could just keep the dent as battle damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back