"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, filling the brim, aka, making the brim a solid mass, would be quite heavy. However, rolling some Rondo around so it coats everything would not be too terribly heavy.

Just exploring my options. While my goal for the suit is one tough enough to sit down in, I'd prefer it if the helmet could withstand being dropped. I though that if I made the brim a solid mass it would definitely help strengthen the helmet. But if it's going to make the helmet too off balance it may do more harm than good.

today i started glassing my second project hybrid smg(H3)/m7(odst), i figured id try to mix up some rondo for the first time. i gotta say i was a bit nervous at first but once it was mixed the consistency was perfect!!! and once i started brushing it on i could tell that their wouldnt be as much sanding as i would have to do with straight bondo. its gonna be a breeze... i think im in love lol :D

on pep'd weapons and such, I would drill a hole and make some rondo. pour the rondo in and rotate the piece til the rondo evenly coats the inside of the weapon. this would make the weapon much firmer.

on pep'd weapons and such, I would drill a hole and make some rondo. pour the rondo in and rotate the piece til the rondo evenly coats the inside of the weapon. this would make the weapon much firmer.

Would replacing the Rondo with expanding foam work? Has anyone ever tried this? If so let me know the results please, cause I'd rather not buy Bondo just to do the weapon.

Oh yeah and can Epoxy replace Fibreglass Resin, cause I'm looking for non-toxic ways to do my armor, since I don't like dealing with cancer and all that good stuff. So anyone got any suggestions. Can't use Aqua Resin as it would murder my budget.

Would replacing the Rondo with expanding foam work? Has anyone ever tried this? If so let me know the results please, cause I'd rather not buy Bondo just to do the weapon.

Yes, some people have used expanding foam. But some people have also used too much and managed to quite literally blow up their models with it, so be careful. In any case, it's a good idea to brush on some resin before you start.

Oh yeah and can Epoxy replace Fibreglass Resin, cause I'm looking for non-toxic ways to do my armor, since I don't like dealing with cancer and all that good stuff. So anyone got any suggestions. Can't use Aqua Resin as it would murder my budget.

If you're using fibreglass cloth, you can switch to epoxy. Mats won't work that well because they require solvent and getting epoxy without that is your whole point.

However, epoxy is by no means less toxic than polyester resin, it's just different. Don't let yourself be tricked by the nice smell - just because it doesn't get into your brain immediately doesn't mean that the consequences don't suck. Make sure to read up on that.

Yes, some people have used expanding foam. But some people have also used too much and managed to quite literally blow up their models with it, so be careful. In any case, it's a good idea to brush on some resin before you start.

If you're using fibreglass cloth, you can switch to epoxy. Mats won't work that well because they require solvent and getting epoxy without that is your whole point.

However, epoxy is by no means less toxic than polyester resin, it's just different. Don't let yourself be tricked by the nice smell - just because it doesn't get into your brain immediately doesn't mean that the consequences don't suck. Make sure to read up on that.

Eh... Probably just gonna go with Aqua Resin then. Better to spend a few extra bucks then risk health. Is a respirator needed if working outside with AquaResin?

Eh... Probably just gonna go with Aqua Resin then. Better to spend a few extra bucks then risk health. Is a respirator needed if working outside with AquaResin?

AquaResin doesn't emit any fumes, so there's no need to go outside with it. You should wear a respirator with particle filters (or just a dust mask) and gloves.

Hi guys,
I am fairly new to 405th but i have been researching and planning a project for a fair amount of time now. I have a qestion about Rondo. How many layers do you apply to the armor piece?

Hey guys, I asked my dad to help me with this sorta thing, and we (read: I) got somewhat confused. Could you guys clarify some points:

(Note: I am 100% new at this. I have heard of it before, but never had the money to get it started. Now that I do, I realise I am somewhat out of my depth. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!)

1. What happens to the paper/cardstock mould once it's been resined/fibreglassed? It is somehow taken out or left inside?
2. If it IS left inside, from what I've read, basically you use only resin and hardener on the outside, to make it easier to sand and finish, and fibreglass on the inside to give it strength. Tell me if I got it wrong somewhere.
3. If it's taken out, how would you get it out if you make something like a full-face helmet, or a Space Marine backpack.
4. What would you do if it's an enclosed model, such as a Warhammer 40K Boltgun or Halo Assault Rifle? I think it would be sort of hard, if not impossible, to somehow fibreglass the inside of an enclosed model.
5. If it's an enclosed model, would you fibreglass the outside, cut it out, remove the cardstock, and then re-attach the two halves?

I think that's all my main questions for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

- Adam

Hey guys, I asked my dad to help me with this sorta thing, and we (read: I) got somewhat confused. Could you guys clarify some points:

(Note: I am 100% new at this. I have heard of it before, but never had the money to get it started. Now that I do, I realise I am somewhat out of my depth. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!)

1. What happens to the paper/cardstock mould once it's been resined/fibreglassed? It is somehow taken out or left inside?

The cardstock stays as part of the piece. Don't bother trying to remove it.
Last Resort said:
2. If it IS left inside, from what I've read, basically you use only resin and hardener on the outside, to make it easier to sand and finish, and fibreglass on the inside to give it strength. Tell me if I got it wrong somewhere.

correct. Resin on the outside, fiberglass on the inside.

Last Resort said:
3. If it's taken out, how would you get it out if you make something like a full-face helmet, or a Space Marine backpack.

Cardstock stays as part of the piece. The resin water proofs it.

Last Resort said:
4. What would you do if it's an enclosed model, such as a Warhammer 40K Boltgun or Halo Assault Rifle? I think it would be sort of hard, if not impossible, to somehow fibreglass the inside of an enclosed model.

Those kinds of pieces are hardened by Rondo (mixture of fiberglass resin and Bondo Auto Filler), liquid plastic (such as Smooth Cast 320 or 300), or expanding foam (such as "Great Stuff"). Be careful with the expanding foam, though. Too much and your piece will explode.

Last Resort said:
5. If it's an enclosed model, would you fibreglass the outside, cut it out, remove the cardstock, and then re-attach the two halves?

See above.

Thanks Hickeydog. You've cleared up a lot of points that I was confused about. One more thing that I want to get cleared up: Say it was something like a Space Marine shoulder pauldron, where it's like a 90 degree rounded bend, with the inside against your shoulder and the outside, well, facing out; would you just do the fibreglass against the side that would be in against you, and leave resin on the outer bit? That'll be the last annoying question. Thanks,

- Adam

Thanks Hickeydog. You've cleared up a lot of points that I was confused about. One more thing that I want to get cleared up: Say it was something like a Space Marine shoulder pauldron, where it's like a 90 degree rounded bend, with the inside against your shoulder and the outside, well, facing out; would you just do the fibreglass against the side that would be in against you, and leave resin on the outer bit? That'll be the last annoying question. Thanks,

- Adam

Correct. If it's the inside of the piece, aka, it faces your body, fiberglass it.

One more quick question. Would it be ok to roll a lair of rondo into a helmet to fill the nooks and crannies, then add fiberglass for support? The idea being that the rondo would fill in all the folds I couldn't poke glass into.

One more quick question. Would it be ok to roll a lair of rondo into a helmet to fill the nooks and crannies, then add fiberglass for support? The idea being that the rondo would fill in all the folds I couldn't poke glass into.

That works great. I did a few boots like that before switching over to Smooth Cast 320.

Hello 405th! I have a question about how to make detailed lines in the helmet. Ive been looking for this question but havnt found it. This is the last thing i need to know before starting on resining and bondoing my MK VI helmet that i made from Papekura. Thanks for your time guys.
Forgive me for my bad english.:)

For example see here:
halo-2d3-2d7-resize.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back