"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventrue, I've read your posts quite a lot and I do respect you because you are always helpful. I think you misunderstood my meaning. I was going to give an answer on the pro and con of rondo and fiberglass...then the one line, "lazy answer" that got me sidetracked. One line of being lazy is not helpful, plus it conveys a message to tell someone to shut up. A few months ago someone said, "don't tell me to read all the stupid stickies!" That was something. I'll just sign-off by saying if I offended anyone I apologize.

Oh, I would actually agree with your previous post to some extent, the only problem with it is that you had confused themeta with NeoKeth, who obviously neither noticed that nor liked the reply, and came right back at you :)

But let's not get any deeper into this, it's totally off topic.

hey guys,
first of all i want to thank everyone who has given me advice on what i need to do to get started on my first suit.
my question is for said suit should i use rondo or should i fiberglass? what are the pros and cons of each method? i.e. cost, time, durability, weight
(suit will be Halo 3 MK V if it helps)
~themeta
(edit) if rondo is the way to go, how much resin and bondo should i mix? If fiberglass, how many layers should i put on?

One layer of is usually all thats needed for resin alone.
The question of Resin and Bondo to create Rondo has come up a lot, and I haven't seen a single answer, though I may have missed one somewhere. I personally like to do a 4 to 1 ratio of Bondo to Resin. Bondo should be the 4, and resin the 1. Remember to add the hardeners for both the fiberglass and the bondo or it won't set right.
Fiberglass, It is recommended by most that I see that you do at LEAST 2 layers. After that, it's just personal preference on how strong you want, how much time you want to put into it, and how much of a budget you have.
However, may I make a couple of suggestions? In working with rondo, I notice it's very sturdy, though not quite sturdy enough on it's own. I like to take Fiberglass MAT (which is very different from cloth) and completely destroy it before I mix the rondo, and then add it to the mix. Also, I like to scuff my rondo and add a couple layers of fiberglass if I start with rondo.

The question of Resin and Bondo to create Rondo has come up a lot, and I haven't seen a single answer

That's because you can mix it in any ratio you want. The thinner you want it, the more resin you add. If you like it really thin, you can basically just take resin and leave the Bondo out completely.

Ben Streeper has a video about Rondo that gives you a pretty good idea if you haven't used it before.

Fiberglass, It is recommended by most that I see that you do at LEAST 2 layers. After that, it's just personal preference on how strong you want, how much time you want to put into it, and how much of a budget you have.
It also heavily depends on how heavy your fibreglass is. A 25 g/m² surface fleece won't do squat compared to a 800 g/m² complex fabric (or whatever these things are called in English... I just translated that very loosely). The latter is not flexible enough to be of much use in making armour, of course, but you get the idea.

I like to take Fiberglass MAT (which is very different from cloth) and completely destroy it before I mix the rondo, and then add it to the mix.
The easier, less dusty (and less itchy!) solution would be to buy chopped fibres in a bag, they're much nicer to work with.

I'm building my kids' ODST using both rondo and fiberglass. I find that rondo is much easier to work with. I mix 1 part resin and 1 part rondo. The viscosity is just right and it usually easy to work with. The good thing about rondo is it can be used to fill in the nooks and hard to reach places. However, I find that rondo is not as strong as fiberglass. I accidently kicked my son's gauntlet that I rondoed. It cracked. The other bad thing about rondo is it can get pretty heavy. I'm using 2 inch wide fiberglass cloth on my kids shins and thighs because they get the most abused. I think fiberglass can hold better than rondo.

what if you used what i've heard referred to as "kitty hair" bondo, or bondo with strands of fiberglass mixed into it? would that make it slightly stronger without having to deal with glassing it?

what if you used what i've heard referred to as "kitty hair" bondo, or bondo with strands of fiberglass mixed into it? would that make it slightly stronger without having to deal with glassing it?

That is also what I mentioned above by adding strands from fiberglass mat to the mix. Never heard it called kitty hair. I just lolled so hard i sprayed milk from my nose xD

That is also what I mentioned above by adding strands from fiberglass mat to the mix. Never heard it called kitty hair. I just lolled so hard i sprayed milk from my nose xD

haha i don't blame you. my cousin was mentioning it to me and he's in the automotive industry, so i'm going to assume that it's an industry term or something.

haha i don't blame you. my cousin was mentioning it to me and he's in the automotive industry, so i'm going to assume that it's an industry term or something.

Could be. Though most people in the business I talk to about rondo don't have a clue what it is and have never heard of it before.

Regardless of how many kittens it contains: Bondo alone? No. Rondo? Sure.

Hello guys i got a question here i'm building my 1st Halo armor set atm(Mark VI) but i never used fiberglass or anyting like that anny Tips?
Also i would like it to be waterproof(or atleast a bit) how could i do that?
I realy hope you could help me with these things.:D

Hello guys i got a question here i'm building my 1st Halo armor set atm(Mark VI) but i never used fiberglass or anyting like that anny Tips?
I realy hope you could help me with these things.:D

First of all, you are not asking a question, but a subject. I recommend that you start at the first page of this thread and read all the way back. If you have specific unanswered question, please ask. If a general question like this is already answered by all the stickies. I don't think anyone would want to rehash the same thing over and over again. Again please read the stickies by subject!

Your question on waterproofing-once you fiberglass your armor, it is pretty much indestructible, unless if you plan to stand in front of a train, which I would not recommend.

i never used fiberglass or anyting like that anny Tips?

Yes: Read a lot. Look at tutorials (most of them are stickied) and at what other people are doing. Here's a good starting point: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list. Also mind work safety. Other than that, the question is too general for me to answer.

If you have any specific questions, please use the appropriate Help!-Sticky in the Noob Forum.

What exactly do you mean by "waterproof"? Water won't damage it either way once the resin is cured and whether or not you get wet in the rain will rather depend on what you wear under your costume. Unless you intend to go diving with it, a rain suit and a pair of watertight boots will probably do.

First of all, you are not asking a question, but a subject. I recommend that you start at the first page of this thread and read all the way back. If you have specific unanswered question, please ask. If a general question like this is already answered by all the stickies. I don't think anyone would want to rehash the same thing over and over again. Again please read the stickies by subject!

Your question on waterproofing-once you fiberglass your armor, it is pretty much indestructible, unless if you plan to stand in front of a train, which I would not recommend.

Please note that the 405th infantry and all it's sub-members, unless hereafter stated and privately while not representing the 405th but as their own individuals separate therein from the corp; does not condone the testing of suits on trains, especially while a person or persons are in the suit.

Please note that the 405th infantry and all it's sub-members, unless hereafter stated and privately while not representing the 405th but as their own individuals separate therein from the corp; does not condone the testing of suits on trains, especially while a person or persons are in the suit.

Thanks for the declaration. I used the wrong example, not knowing that some people would take things literally. Yes! Please DO NOT try to proof yourself in front of the train!!!

Thanks for the declaration. I used the wrong example, not knowing that some people would take things literally. Yes! Please DO NOT try to proof yourself in front of the train!!!

My creative juices are flowing. Now that this came up... as soon as my suit is done, I'm going to a train yard and totally making a 405TH Halo Safety Video.
But first... Using pepakura to create a halo CHAIR... for my 3d art class... ideas?

Quick question. I've fiberglassed a couple pieces so far and I've been wondering would I be better off just adding a second layer of fiberglass or could I put some rondo on top of what I've already fiberglassed? Which would be better? I've heard of mudglassing being VERY strong as well and I'm interested in that however I can't find much on it.

Quick question. I've fiberglassed a couple pieces so far and I've been wondering would I be better off just adding a second layer of fiberglass or could I put some rondo on top of what I've already fiberglassed? Which would be better? I've heard of mudglassing being VERY strong as well and I'm interested in that however I can't find much on it.

In my experience, just a layer of fiberglass on the inside is enough to have a sturdy armor. Just apply bondo on the outside to smooth out any imperfections. Some may advice adding another layer of fiberglass on the inside. I find that it is not necessary.

CoolC is correct that one layer of fiberglass creates an adquately strong armor piece. However, if you are like me and just want that extra piece of mind then you need decide if you are more concerned about keeping a light weight piece or if a little extra weight is worth saving yourself a few hours work.

Fiberglass is stronger and lighter, so another layer of this would be the best option in the long run. However, rondo takes less than half the time and is strong in its own right. The last option (which is what I am currently using) is to use BondoGlass in your rondo mix. Bondoglass incorporates glassfibers into the bondo providing a LOT more strength. The trade off here is that it takes a little more material to cover the same area.

Hope that helps.

Bondoglass incorporates glassfibers into the bondo providing a LOT more strength. The trade off here is that it takes a little more material to cover the same area.

that's the type of Bondo i was trying to mention earlier lol. so BondoGlass would be a good middle ground between using fiberglass or Rondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back