Help me repair my broken suit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyHalo117

I have a suit made out of fiberglass resin that was not properly strengthened. It does not have fiberglass strips on the entire inside, only certain parts. Because of this, it has developed cracks and such. I need to fix the cracks, and strengthen the fiberglass that is missing fiberglass strips. Tell me what materials I would use, how to do it, and any other important tips you have to help me get this suit back into function! Thanks!

Also, I have foam pieces (not Eva, but like a flexible filler foam) that are ripped. Can I use Gorilla Glue or something on these? Much appreciated. Pictures can be provided on request.

You would want to use fiberglass cloth to strengthen the armor on the inside and a little bondo and sanding to fill in the cracks. Pictures of the damage would allow me to give you better advice. I use super glue liquid not gel for foam or you could also use hot glue.

Could I use something like Line-X or Herculiner to strengthen it? I hear that stuff makes anything virtually indestructible, plus it might give it an interesting texture (unless I put it on the inside...)

Could I use something like Line-X or Herculiner to strengthen it? I hear that stuff makes anything virtually indestructible, plus it might give it an interesting texture (unless I put it on the inside...)

Nope. It would only serve to hide any details on the exterior of your armor. jtcobra gave the best advise of first adding a layer or two of fiberglass to the inside, then using body filler or spot putty to the exterior cracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any repairs and strengthening need to be made on the inside. You want to disturb the outside finish as little as possible. If you use fiberglass try to get the woven mat. Brush a thin layer of resin on the inside then lay the mat and dab with resin until coated, Try to watch for drips. Also make sure you wear gloves and a mask.

Thanks a ton, jtcobra. That helps, I'm noob level 9000 at this stuff, so I appreciate it. Off to Home Depot! Also, type of paint I should use over the bondo?

If you can ask the maker of the suit what paint he used. If you use a different brand it can mess it up. If you can get the same color you can use a foam brush or repaint the whole thing with a spray can. Whatever you decide to do I recommend that you put at least 3 coats of clear to protect it.

Or you could leave the crack visible on the exterior as if it were battle damage and accentuate the crack w/ paint.......just a thought. I should say that you would definitely need to repair from the inside.....not just leave the crack alone. Fiberglass the inside 1 coat at least all over and extra where it wasn't done originally.

Or you could leave the crack visible on the exterior as if it were battle damage and accentuate the crack w/ paint.......just a thought. I should say that you would definitely need to repair from the inside.....not just leave the crack alone. Fiberglass the inside 1 coat at least all over and extra where it wasn't done originally.

Awesome idea! So I've started taping the smaller cracks together, and I'm going to use this damage to my advantage by strengthening and fixing the whole chest piece, then making sure to bondo and paint the damage as war damage. Trying to keep in mind how a Titanium alloy might look when damaged, it obviously has to be molded a bit since Titanium doesn't generally rip like paper... haha

I'll make a new post and give some updates, I want it to be done for Halloween and for any events coming up. If you know of any on Oahu, Hawaii that I should attend, let me know! Thanks a ton, bruh.

If I were you, I'd fiberglass the whole armor. Resin alone can always crack or worse, break apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back