Help! Needs Tips About Foam Armor Building!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haxzor

Hi, I'm new to armor making and I'm going to start a foam build (hopefully before Halloween) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips about making a foam helmet? Like what to do and what not to do. Any info is helpful!
Thanks.

Umm, in my personal opinion, i don't think that you should make the helmet using foam. if you do, use one with a very low poly count. or one where there are a lot of flat sides :p but for an overall foam build, the number 1 thing you can do is to plan. planing is the biggest thing. like have the scales already done and see if they fit by making a rough draft using card stock and tape or w/e plus, if you plan to make a whole suit. don't expect 8 sheets to be more than enough. you're going to at least need 12 sheets. Unless you layout everything perfectly. ex: chest+2thighs+cod+1boot= 4 sheets gone. and that's 5/13ths the way thorough. and when putting together folds, make sure you make an angle on the piece so it can have the slope you want it to.

So, Only use foam on helmets for flat sided helmets, like EOD?
But for the foam build, would you use pepakura? Or build your own shapes?

You use the flat faces on the pepakura model, seperating off a lot of edges and tabs with the join/disjoin tool because since the foam is thicker than paper, there isn't need for edges

Some members here make their armor out of foam but the helmet is usually a pepakura model. The helmet should be a pepakura model because it is most accurate and it is the centerpiece of your whole suit...it usually makes/break the whole look.

Thank you guys for all the info. I did make a paper helmet model....and it turned out fine, but it's too big for my head and I spent a lot of time on it. My friend made the same helmet out of foam and he finished it in half the time, I mean it's painted and everything and it also looks better. So I'm thinking that I'll just make the helmet out of foam, see how it looks, and if I like it I'll finish it and if not I'll make another paper one. But thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back