Here's my take on Pepakura...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
Well, after just browsing the MJOLNIR armour forum on and off throughout the day, I'm thinking I may very well go ahead and take a stab at making my first suit using the Pepakura method.

From what I can tell, the in-game render was very well broken down using Designer 2, and surprisingly accurate. However, I've decided to take a slightly different approach to it.

Although I will be using the Pepakura schematics as a direct reference point, I'll be tracing each piece out on sheet styrene and building it using that medium. For my past scratch-builds I've heavily used styrene as I've found it's a very versatile material and easy to use. Not only that, but I would imagine styrene would prove to be more sturdy and durable than layered/built-up paper.

I honestly don't know if anyone else has ever given any thought to using the Pepakura schematics in this manner, but for me I think that would be the best way to go.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? :roll:

Eh, yeah. Why do you keep calling it "pepariku"?
paperika...
That sounds like a very good idea, I'd do it if I was aloud to buy styrene.
(just score the lines before folding them)

Here's my take on Pepakuru...

Well, as quoted from Frizzlefry's tutorial stickied at the top of this forum:

Pepakura Designer allows you to create a development for paper craft easily from 3D data used in 3D CG software. You can load a 3d image and make adjustments or you can load already saved files from Pepakura and print them out to assemble a 3d object using only paper.

So, to answer your question, that's why it's referred to as Pepakura. It's the program that allows 3D model-making using paper as the base material.

And yeah, that's exactly what I plan on doing with mine; lightly scribe the lines into the styrene and fold them. Also, by using styrene I'll be able to soften the edges a bit more to my liking... ;-)

This method you're talking about with using styrene, thats how I made my suit... but this was pre-pepakura, so I patterned everything myself.

I'd say go for it, I know if I ever do anything with Pepakura, I'll deffinately use styrene instead of paper... It'll just be much more sturdy.

Cant wait to see how you make out on this.

sorry if i sound like a noob, because i am, but what is styrene? and if it is better than paper, how would i use it w/ my pepakura?

Styrene is sheet plastic, usually used for thermoformic and Vacuum forming. You can get it in various thicknesses. You can cut it with scissors, or score one side with a utility knife and snap it apart. You can glue it together with superglue, and sand/paint it.

o...ok. hey i just printed my helmet designs out (from the pepekura program) and i have 2 of most every sheet. Is this part of the helmet or is it just extra copies i accidentaly made? reallly need some help here.

Help? Someone?

Well, check the sheets that are suspected of being duplicates. If they have the same numbers in the same places, then, they are.

I'll try my best to draw what I'm trying to explain;
|-----[}[}--------|
|---------------25|
|------------------|
|------------------|
|___________|

SAME
|-----[}[}--------|
|---------------25|
|------------------|
|------------------|
|___________|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|-----[}[}--------|
|----------------5|
|------------------|
|------------------|
|___________|

DIFFERENT

|-----[}[}--------|
|---------------25|
|------------------|
|------------------|
|___________|

Welll worth a shot. Hope you can decipher that and it helps :roll:

couldent decipeher it, but it helped. i found and disposed(cough, burned, cough) of the imposter sheets. dilemma solved. i hope.

btw, im a pyro.

blinkava44 said:
sounds like a good idea. dont forget to post pics here of your progress!

Sean Bradley said:
This method you're talking about with using styrene, thats how I made my suit... but this was pre-pepakura, so I patterned everything myself.

I'd say go for it, I know if I ever do anything with Pepakura, I'll deffinately use styrene instead of paper... It'll just be much more sturdy.

Cant wait to see how you make out on this.

Ah, okay... so although not the first to think of scratch-building a suit from styrene, it would appear I'm the first to think of doing so post-Pepakura, lol.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, fellas. You can rest assured I will definately keep you appraised of my progress, and with pics... :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back