heythisisBETH's Mark VI WIP (first ever build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good so far...nice folds and cuts...just take your time and do a good job on the pep because it saves a TON of time in the end...even though pepping is by far my least favorite part.

looking pretty good so far for a first pep, looks like you are off the a great start, keep up the good work amnd can't wait to see it finished in pep :)

cheers for the comments :) me and my dad worked for a almost a whole day solid and didnt realize until we looked at a clock lol

Very easy to do. The peps do look good, and I think you've probably got a good idea in doing it by sections. I should have done that, and didn't. Next time, though!!

My parents don't care for this type of hobby, saying it takes to much money which is kinda true until I can show off the result.

This is the FlyingSquirl Mark VI? Mine is sitting right next to me, all resined up and waiting for my mom to find her Dremel so I can cut the supports out. If you add all the supports to this helmet, there will be virtually NO warping. The way I pepped it was to do the top half and the bottom front and back: then I put the bottom two together, then the top and all supports. I wouldn't recommend putting the top on last, you could build the front and then put that on right at the jaw indents last. <Hope that wasn't a run on sentence.

just a short update. I left my dad alone with the helmet...baaad move....he tried to do a bit on his own and ended glueing bits in the wrong place and warping it. so in short, we will be starting again

If you start over again I suggest you try this trick. Instead of cutting everything precisely, you can skip a lot of the tabs. The tabs are just guide on how the parts stick together. You can liberally cut the tab a bit larger. Since they will be glued on the inside you won't see if the tabs are messy. This speeds up the process. Plus, this also makes the pieces stronger because they have larger area to stick to.

Here is an example. The black line is the paper with the tab. The red line is where you cut the line.

PepTab.jpg

Finally, I suggest that you use scissors instead of a blade. Once the armor is prepped, you need to resin and bondo. Nobody will see if you cut the line straight or curved. A nice sharp scissors with rubber handle will speed up the process at least 3 times, in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• PepTab.jpg
    PepTab.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 124
If you add all the supports to this helmet, there will be virtually NO warping. The way I pepped it was to do the top half and the bottom front and back: then I put the bottom two together, then the top and all supports. I wouldn't recommend putting the top on last, you could build the front and then put that on right at the jaw indents last. <Hope that wasn't a run on sentence.

Cheers for the tip :D sounds like a good plan. Big update on the way soon btw

VISUAL UPDATE! :D

my dad started his helmet again after fudgeing it up lol.
Photo0085.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0095.jpg

here is the old one
Photo0098.jpg

Photo0073.jpg

Photo0079.jpg

This just shows a little bit of the warping
Photo0076-1.jpg

Attachments

• Photo0073.jpg
    Photo0073.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 110
  • Photo0098.jpg
    Photo0098.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 116
  • Photo0095.jpg
    Photo0095.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 119
  • Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 122
  • Photo0085.jpg
    Photo0085.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 115
  • Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 124
  • Photo0076-1.jpg
    Photo0076-1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 112
Keep it up. It's good to have help cutting and scoring. And it's great your dad wants to be involved. As far as scissors, there are some things they are good for, but I find a blade is much more accurate. You want to spend the time with a pep. While it might take longer in the pep stage, but every hour it takes extra can save you five or more hours easy in the bondo sand and detail stage. Trust me. Get your pep right and you won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back