hot glue , how to use it without screwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so if you are referring to using it on the tabs for the 110 card stock. You don't need to glob it on, if you do that it'll see through the card stock or just ooze out when you put it together. Realistically when I did my project all you need is a nice line to hold it together in the center. Grab a few pieces that are big with large tabs and just a line through the center of the tabs. Or dots. I did dots and then hold them both together. It's trial and error to find a good amount it may seep a few times but you'll get the hang of it! I use low temp hot glue just because if it seeps I can use my finger to wipe it off.

Recap:
thin line or dots (experiment on some scraps of card stock)
wipe off any extra hot glue if there's any seeping
reheat any glue that stuck out with the tip if it bothers you

hope this helps!

spartan22

Alright so if you are referring to using it on the tabs for the 110 card stock. You don't need to glob it on, if you do that it'll see through the card stock or just ooze out when you put it together. Realistically when I did my project all you need is a nice line to hold it together in the center. Grab a few pieces that are big with large tabs and just a line through the center of the tabs. Or dots. I did dots and then hold them both together. It's trial and error to find a good amount it may seep a few times but you'll get the hang of it! I use low temp hot glue just because if it seeps I can use my finger to wipe it off.

Recap:
thin line or dots (experiment on some scraps of card stock)
wipe off any extra hot glue if there's any seeping
reheat any glue that stuck out with the tip if it bothers you

hope this helps!

spartan22
thank you so much, I've been using high temp glue and have been feeling like darth Vader on mustifar accidentally touching the glue.

Haha, no problem I use high temp for my foam build. Using on card stock it's overkill, low temp is still toasty but not skin searing! Can't wait to see your work!

Haha, no problem I use high temp for my foam build. Using on card stock it's overkill, low temp is still toasty but not skin searing! Can't wait to see your work!
Thank you, I plan on starting my blog on my profile after I get home from school today since I now have the weekend to focus on it. I'll keep you all updated.

Also keep in mind when using hot glue......spacing.......hot glue if you don't press the pieces together firmly.....creates space between the 2 pieces.....Sometimes you need 2 hand to just hold the pieces together.....at that point you are hand-less and can't glue......Not saying it can't be done but there are easier ways to attach w/o the possibility of getting seared by hot glue. I've used craft glue by Duco. it has a smooth application and dries very quickly. And will not stick your fingers together like crazy glue. You could also try Aleen's Tacky glue or any brand of wood glue...... a bit more time to dry but it works.

I use high temp glue. I usually apply the glue on all tabs of every part before assembling. When applying glue to a medium sized tab, I'll put a small dab of glue starting on one end of the tab. Immediately after doing that I'll smooth it out with the tip of the glue gun's nozzle. Then maybe one more dab of glue to finish off the rest of the tab. If you have very long tabs. You can always cut little triangles out with xacto blade to make into multiple tabs instead one big tab. Its easier to work smaller tabs. Then with assembling I just re-heat the tabs once my part edges are lined up where I want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back