How did you use your Filler!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

irvinelax

Jr Member
Hey im about to use filler on my helm and im just wondering all the different ways you guys might have done it?
1. Did you do the whole helm with filler?
2. Is it even possible to coat the entrire helm with filler?
3.Were did you place your filler
4. What was the hardness of the filler?
etc.
IMG_8081.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/i...ax/IMG_8080.jpg
IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8078.jpg

get "great stuff' from any home depot and just spray it in. dont coat it all, just the top inside of the visor and around the sides and some in the mouthpiece but not alot there or ull b biting foam when you put the thing on. the foam will harden on its own once sprayed and will be dry enough to cut and carve in about 30min. just use a knife it scrape off the excess, id post pics of mine, but mi camras f***'d up srry. :mad:

then use fiberglass on the outside n ur set

(I hav a finished suit, PM me if u hav any more questions)

work with filler in small batches. imagine you are baking cookies, thats about how much filler you want to use at a time. spread it on with a body filler spreader, thick enough to cover the highest imperfection in your fiberglass. then once the filler has cured partially, and you can touch it without it sticking to your finger, then "cheese grate" it. theres body filler files, commonly called a cheese grater, that you use to file down the filler to make it even. then mix up another batch and do it again in another spot. keep doing that until the entire helmet is filled and cheese grated. then sand it with 60-80 grit paper. after that, go back and fill again on any low spots that your cheese grating/sanding didnt touch. and repeat that process. once you are satisfied with the fill, sand with 120 grit and then primer it. then sand it again lightly, just enough to break through the primer on the high spots. if you find any spots that the primer still exists, its a low spot and you should probably hit it with filler again. and repeat all the way up to primering and sanding with 120. then use spot putty on any bubble holes or slight cracks. sand again with 300 grit and then primer.

TwistedCory said:
Full Filler Tutorial [HERE]

Hope this helps!

yea i know how to use it now im just askin were to use it? like today i started a little on the back of the helm and filed and detailed the crap out of it and now i think im goin to just do the whole helm, what do you guys think about that?(detailing the whole outside of helm) it will forsure make it sturdy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverzippo93 said:
Body filler isn't as sturdy as fiberglass.

i wouldnt be so sure about that the body filler i put on feels like a rock and i also have 2 layers of fiberglass cloth on inside 3 layers of resin on out with filler being put on, im plannin on airsoft in this thing :rolleyes

Silverzippo93 said:
Body filler isn't as sturdy as fiberglass.

QFT, Theres no reinforcement in body filler. It might be really hard, but it's brittle too.

Sean Bradley said:
QFT, Theres no reinforcement in body filler. It might be really hard, but it's brittle too.

true but when u mean brittle but hard do u mean it can be heavy but still crack when dropped?

irvinelax said:
true but when u mean brittle but hard do u mean it can be heavy but still crack when dropped?

Weight has nothing to do with strength or shock resistance. ;)
Body filler is un-reinforced and will break apart easier than fiberglass resin for that reason.
Protective coat... nope, not unless it has a layer of fiberglass cloth in it. But really, you should put fiberglass cloth and resin on before you put on your Body filler.

"Ogres are like onions.....we have layers!"

Goofing aside, the simple fact of the matter is, the more layers you add, the heavier, and most likely, hotter its going to be to wear, and also put unessecary strain on your head and neck. Its best in my opinion to just go ahead and do a layer or two of fiberglass on the inside and then use resin and and very light layer of bondo on the outside for smoothing and detailing.

drgon47 said:
"Ogres are like onions.....we have layers!"

Goofing aside, the simple fact of the matter is, the more layers you add, the heavier, and most likely, hotter its going to be to wear, and also put unessecary strain on your head and neck. Its best in my opinion to just go ahead and do a layer or two of fiberglass on the inside and then use resin and and very light layer of bondo on the outside for smoothing and detailing.

yea but i guess im used to it cause of lacrosse those helmets are bulky and shiz but yea im going to do a light layer of bondo on the outside its comin along great id send pics if i knew how lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back