How do you reinforce your 3D prints, if at all?

its quite messy but you get used to it. Wear proper PPE (respirator, gloves, goggles, full sleeve clothing) and pre cut your mesh mats before starting. I just wipe piece with resin using silicone brush then press a mat down and then dab more resin ontop of it with the brush.

For those of you that do use fiberglass sheets and resin, do you have any trouble working with it? I think that's one thing that has kept me away is the apprehensivness I have around the process and nervousness I have in messing something up.
First time i did it it was really messy, but you get better with time so maybe do it on pieces you dont care about as much when you start or practice , you probably only need one practice just so you can get how it behaves.

its quite messy but you get used to it. Wear proper PPE (respirator, gloves, goggles, full sleeve clothing) and pre cut your mesh mats before starting. I just wipe piece with resin using silicone brush then press a mat down and then dab more resin ontop of it with the brush.
First time i did it it was really messy, but you get better with time so maybe do it on pieces you dont care about as much when you start or practice , you probably only need one practice just so you can get how it behaves.
Just wanted to mirror what Mr Lobbster and Kahn said here. It's really not a difficult process. Do it on a smaller piece first to get the idea of how the stuff behaves before you commit to the full suit.

It's not necessary on all pieces. If you're using a 3d printed chest then I'd advise it so it wont explode with the smallest amount of pressure. It's definitely saved me a lot of headaches. People seem to love to bang on my chest plates without permission to see what it's made out of >.>

Nope! Didn't get an AMS with my P1S cause I generally just use filament en masse rather than using a bunch of different colors. Maybe in the future I'll get it, but I've heard that TPU in the AMS is a nono right now.

I've actually found its hard to find TPU thats too soft! I play around with 3D printing undersuits, and my TPU discoveries have stemmed from that. It all has to do with the shore value, or how flexible the material is rated. The TPU I use is 98A, which I believe is comparable to the material shopping cart wheels are made of! I'm trying to use some in the 82A range to see if I can 3D print some gloves rn

I will say, flexible spackle is easy to find and very useful for sanding TPU. Just absolutely cover your print in the stuff, then sand down till you barely see print lines
One question I do have that I think I already know the answer to: I've been under the impression that it is very, very difficult to glue or join two TPU parts together, is that the case in your experience? My print bed isn't particularly huge so cutting and joining parts has been a big part of my build, but I'm guessing that may not really be an option with TPU but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Just wanted to mirror what Mr Lobbster and Kahn said here. It's really not a difficult process. Do it on a smaller piece first to get the idea of how the stuff behaves before you commit to the full suit.

It's not necessary on all pieces. If you're using a 3d printed chest then I'd advise it so it wont explode with the smallest amount of pressure. It's definitely saved me a lot of headaches. People seem to love to bang on my chest plates without permission to see what it's made out of >.>
Yeah, it definitely sounds like that was probably the route I should have gone in the first place rather than rondo. I had the same apprehension with that, found it relatively easy to work with all things considered, but of course didn't get the results I had wanted (quite the contrary). I may end up using fiberglass on the chest and stop there since I'm on a tight time budget, but I appreciate the insight everyone.

One question I do have that I think I already know the answer to: I've been under the impression that it is very, very difficult to glue or join two TPU parts together, is that the case in your experience? My print bed isn't particularly huge so cutting and joining parts has been a big part of my build, but I'm guessing that may not really be an option with TPU but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
I generally opt for fusing my parts together with a soldering iron instead of using glue! Works really well for TPU, but I highly recommend for just about anything large and 3D printed.

I generally opt for fusing my parts together with a soldering iron instead of using glue! Works really well for TPU, but I highly recommend for just about anything large and 3D printed.
is there s specific one youd suggest, are some brands better than others?

is there s specific one youd suggest, are some brands better than others?
I wish! I honestly just bought a cheap $10 one off of Amazon, and it's worked pretty well! Really all you're looking for is something that gets hot enough to melt the plastic, so it's pretty hard to go wrong.
I suppose I would try to find a hotend tip that is sort of spade-like so it's easier to use.

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back