How long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Jr Member
How long is an average time to make a set of this Pepakura style armor?

I sort of would like to finish mine by the halo 3 launch ( as indicated by my active desktop http://www.halo3countdown.com/ )

I will probably try to go to walmart tomorrow to get the card stock and various other supplies... I had wanted to do this quite a while ago, but at that time the only info I could find on making armor was vacuforming which was out of my abilities and fundage levels... And I just found this site yesterday.

It depends on how dedicated you are. I finished folding 6 pieces (body parts) tonight alone, and 3 of them are resined now. only 3 more to fold and 6 more to resin and only 14 days.

OH NOES!! *downs 6 different energy drinks* lol

Also, Hot glue guns, IMO, make time go faster. It only hurts a little, plus my gun has a low setting so that helps.

are you just folding and resining, or all the way to fiberglass and extreme detailing?

Agent Orange said:
It depends on how dedicated you are. I finished folding 6 pieces (body parts) tonight alone, and 3 of them are resined now. only 3 more to fold and 6 more to resin and only 14 days.
OH NOES!! *downs 6 different energy drinks* lol

Also, Hot glue guns, IMO, make time go faster. It only hurts a little, plus my gun has a low setting so that helps.
are you just folding and resining, or all the way to fiberglass and extreme detailing?

I was hoping to fiber glass and resin, and try to do some detailing, not sure what I would do... I am planning on picking up a hot glue gun at walmart while I'm there... I'm gonna be picking supplies up on my bike, I don't know how much space this fiberglass sheets/cloth take, hopefully it will fit in my backpack, otherwise I will have to get it on a second trip...

I was figuring I would start with the boots or something, to get the hang of it, then the helmet as its more important, then carry on from there...

By the way, when all is said and done, how are all the pieces attached, I haven't found a faq for that in here yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim said:
By the way, when all is said and done, how are all the pieces attached, I haven't found a faq for that in here yet...

well when i am done fiber glassing it all, i am going to get a low expanding foam and shape it to my arms on the inside of the pieces and maybe attach the foam to my underarmor by means of velcro.

There hasn't been any true explanation on how the pieces are attached. Every one says "straps" but that doesn't explain much.

So thats what i plan to do, not what is the norm.

When you say under armor are you referring to something specific, or just whatever you wear under the armor? I have a long sleeve black hooded halo 2 t shirt I was thinking would work for the top...

pafford09, thanks. And also, that helmet in your avatar, was that made by Pepakura as well? It looks really good.

Anyways, I went out and got supplies tonight, I went to walmart...
They didn't have:

rulers
glue guns
card stock

But I did get:

resin
hardener
fiberglass cloth
and 2 brushes

So I went to london drugs...
They didnt have:
card stock

but I did get the ruler and glue gun

so then I went to staples, and got the card stock.

I also checked best buy, but they had nothing...

Anyways, have everything now :)

Whoah. found something better then those damned hot glue guns. Its called a "Simple Fix Glue Pen" Holds plenty of glue for an entire suit of armor, it dries fast, doesnt burn, any you can easily fix mistakes. Its at wal-mart for like 4 bucks and its pen shape makes it so easy to use. SOMEONE STICKY THIS IT IS THE BEST PEP GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim said:
When you say under armor are you referring to something specific, or just whatever you wear under the armor? I have a long sleeve black hooded halo 2 t shirt I was thinking would work for the top...

I just have spandex biking pants, and a walmart under armor shirt, black boots, a somewhat shaped balaclava, and a neck seal. Thats all i have so far for underarmor. nothing too extreme like a launch/pressure suit.

I havent spent more than 20 bucks on the all of that, since i already had the boots.

Andrew L said:
Whoah. found something better then those damned hot glue guns. Its called a "Simple Fix Glue Pen" Holds plenty of glue for an entire suit of armor, it dries fast, doesnt burn, any you can easily fix mistakes. Its at wal-mart for like 4 bucks and its pen shape makes it so easy to use. SOMEONE STICKY THIS IT IS THE BEST PEP GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is kind of expensive, compared to hot glue, 3 bucks for 50 or so sticks i'm nearly done with the cardstock model finished, and i haven't used half of them.

but, GOOD FIND none the less!! (y) Some people may not find glue guns easy to use or get a hold of.

Jim said:

pafford09, thanks. And also, that helmet in your avatar, was that made by Pepakura as well? It looks really good.
Anyways, I went out and got supplies tonight, I went to walmart...
They didn't have:

rulers
glue guns
card stock

But I did get:

resin
hardener
fiberglass cloth
and 2 brushes
So I went to london drugs...
They didnt have:
card stock

but I did get the ruler and glue gun

so then I went to staples, and got the card stock.

I also checked best buy, but they had nothing...

Anyways, have everything now :)

How much did you pay for the fiberglass cloth and resin? I couldnt find it anywhere else except in special shops. I bought 10 yards of cloth for 70 bucks. is that too much in both amount and price? The resin was 42 dollars for a gallon.

Maxpower said:
How much did you pay for the fiberglass cloth and resin? I couldnt find it anywhere else except in special shops. I bought 10 yards of cloth for 70 bucks. is that too much in both amount and price? The resin was 42 dollars for a gallon.

That is way more then you need as far as I can tell... I mean, I haven't fiber glassed it yet, but from what I hear an 8 foot sheet is good?

I got the resin for 15 $, hardener for 2 $, cloth for 10 $. But I only got 8 foot cloth not 10 yards, and I bet you got a whole lot more resin then me too...

On the subject of my progress, I just finished gluing my boot together, I didn't burn myself too badly :rolleyes And it doesn't look too bad. I don't have to work tomorrow (so far), so I may get at least a few more done... I'm going to get them all assembled before I resin, then resin, then cloth... I will probably just paint it for now, and then afterwards when I have more time detail, and repaint it.

Jim said:
How long is an average time to make a set of this Pepakura style armor?

I sort of would like to finish mine by the halo 3 launch ( as indicated by my active desktop http://www.halo3countdown.com/ )

I will probably try to go to walmart tomorrow to get the card stock and various other supplies... I had wanted to do this quite a while ago, but at that time the only info I could find on making armor was vacuforming which was out of my abilities and fundage levels... And I just found this site yesterday.

I'm printing out pieces and then folding 'em at work. I work nights and I get some strange looks now! o_O

Haha, I bet so. Your stuff is looking good so far!

I ended up making a pistol out of foam at work and I got laughed at a little, but I had all my work done so I had nothing to do =/

Jim said:
That is way more then you need as far as I can tell... I mean, I haven't fiber glassed it yet, but from what I hear an 8 foot sheet is good?
I got the resin for 15 $, hardener for 2 $, cloth for 10 $. But I only got 8 foot cloth not 10 yards, and I bet you got a whole lot more resin then me too...
On the subject of my progress, I just finished gluing my boot together, I didn't burn myself too badly :rolleyes And it doesn't look too bad. I don't have to work tomorrow (so far), so I may get at least a few more done... I'm going to get them all assembled before I resin, then resin, then cloth... I will probably just paint it for now, and then afterwards when I have more time detail, and repaint it.

Ya, I think I over did it on the fiberglass and resin, and payed way more for it too. Guess I can make more armour after this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back