How much supplies and cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsson2010

I really want to make a sweet mjolnir suit, but I'm going to have to ride my bike a couple towns over to get to a walmart for supplies. Anyway, I want to know how much of resin, cardstock, glue, etc... I'll need so I don't have to make 2 trips (I'm doing the Pepakura hot glue then resin over method). Also if you have a price for it that'd be great. Thanks! Oh, and I know that it depends on the size of the suit, but I haven't measured myself yet, so rough estimates are ok. On a final note, why is every tutorial on the helmet? Not to be rude but some variety would help.

u can get 150 sheets of 110 lb card stof for 5$ resin is like 10$ glue is like 3-5$ fiber glass tape might cost around 10$ or so

tserrof said:
u can get 150 sheets of 110 lb card stof for 5$ resin is like 10$ glue is like 3-5$ fiber glass tape might cost around 10$ or so

Ok, so I'm going to need about a bottle of resin and a crap load of 110 lb cardstock? The fiberglass seems expensive, how much do you get for $10?

Last edited by a moderator:
Devilsson2010 said:
Ok, so I'm going to need about a bottle of resin and a crap load of 110 lb cardstock? The fiberglass seems expensive, how much do you get for $10?

i'm not sure, buy two to start, then buy more as you go, and i'm not sure how much fiberglass goes for, take a look at napa autoparts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan to make trips. Many trips. To many different places. You'll be doing something and say "Crap, I need another one of those," or "I wish I had that." Also, around here fiberglass resin in $14 per quart - and I've used 3. Fiberglass cloth is $6 per 9 sq. feet, and I've used 4.

If you'd like to see a list of all the stuff I've purchased for my armor project to date (and I'm not done yet, not even close), click here and scroll down a bit. It may also force you to think about your overall budget, which is a good thing! The amount of money you have on hand (or lack thereof) will make a lot of design decisions for you. A really sweet set of MJOLNIR armor can set you back hundreds of both dollars and hours, so be up front with yourself on what you can and can't afford!

theres no such thing as free full set of armor, your going to spend a minimum of 50-100 dollars on paint, brushes, resin, fiberglass.

I'm going to test using paper mache glue (flour, water, and glue mixed together) on one gaunlet to see if it withstands a punch, then see if it withstands being sat on, if it does, I may forget about resining the entire armor, but I may coat it lightly in resin to make it water proof...dont want it to get wet then let 1 months hard work go away.

You can ebay hjc visor, they are gold, shiny, and about 23 dollars if you bid, it's 15 dollars + shipping, shipping is 7 dollars, so if you bid like 15.50, you'll pay 23.50 for a good visor that is recommended, alot of people use it for their helmets.

I'm testing different methods on cardstock cubes I made, see if paper mache glue works, or is regular elmers glue paint works, I'm testing anything to see if multiple coats will make it hard.

So far resin is looking better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back