How to cut aluminium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut the shape from wood and bend it like others said otherwise just use a giant wrench or clamp to bend it.

AoBfrost said:
Cut the shape from wood and bend it like others said otherwise just use a giant wrench or clamp to bend it.

No that is not the problem, look at the picture and look at the part circled orange. i cannot fold that part into 3 directions. it doesnt bend...

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this:

gallery_56_2_7511.jpg

Sean Bradley said:
Try this:

gallery_56_2_7511.jpg

I have thought about that... the only problem occuring to me is on how do i stick the edges together... should i just epoxy and sand (the epoxy) and colour the epoxy silver?

heres a drawing to help you visualize what i was saying.

gallery_2083_55_24315.jpg

oops, sean beat me to it. well, his is a different approach, but the same methods are used.

as far as attachment, just make tabs. along the outer edges of the entire thing, just leave extra metal to make tabs out of. dont cut the tabs off, and fold them inside of your piece. then the tabs can just be glued or riveted to the pieces they touch.

Sean Bradley said:
Nice.... Saint, great minds think alike.... heh.

yeah i guess so. you were a bit faster with the drawing, so i concede this victory to you.

Finnish_Spartan said:
Yeah this is basically what you do with PEP the only proble is how do i weld? solder? glue? the parts together?

tabs. leave extra metal on half of the outer edges. then just glue the tabs to the backside of the other half of the outer edges

in my drawing, you would put tabs on the outer edges of the pieces that i added to it. then when you fold, just glue those tabs to the backside of the two big "wings"

Sean Bradley said:
Use metal Epoxy.... if thats available to you.

Is metal epoxy of a certain coulour so i could identify it more easy (since the normal is transperant and something).

It's grey or dark black. but mostly you should look for Epoxy thats for metal.

Sold in most hardware stores here in the US as PC-7, Milliput, QuickSteel ect. epoxy... a two part thick paste thats stronger that steel when hardened. It comes in paste form or stick... cut a piece of the stick, mix it by hand and you can apply it like clay. Then sand it smooth.

henkel1.jpg

QUIKSTEEL.JPG

4559_1a.jpg

11_epoxy_putty.jpg

Google 'Epoxy Putty and you'll find MANY manufacturers if you can't find it at a hardware store near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back