How to make a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlemisssark

I’ve looked at the link on Etsy and it’s great but I worry about it’s size. Are there any semi-easy methods for making a halo helmet for Felix?

Last edited:
I’ve looked at the link on Etsy and it’s great but I worry about it’s got. Are there any semi-east methods for making a halo helmet for Felix?
It all depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put in it. Pepakura is a good method for detail, but can get a little pricey and takes a long time. It is generally good for detail, but it comes out how you want it to come out( shape effort and amount of details put into it). Foam is usually the same in how it looks better if you get really picky and let your OCD flow. The more time and effort you put in, the better it will look. Foam is cheap and easy to work with, but isnt hard and can sometimes be a pain to cut the right angles or glue. If you practice a little it will be easy. You could also see what people on the site and outside the site would be willing to do price wise to 3d print you a helmet

It all depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put in it. Pepakura is a good method for detail, but can get a little pricey and takes a long time. It is generally good for detail, but it comes out how you want it to come out( shape effort and amount of details put into it). Foam is usually the same in how it looks better if you get really picky and let your OCD flow. The more time and effort you put in, the better it will look. Foam is cheap and easy to work with, but isnt hard and can sometimes be a pain to cut the right angles or glue. If you practice a little it will be easy. You could also see what people on the site and outside the site would be willing to do price wise to 3d print you a helmet
What kind of foam? Like expanding foam? Craft foam? I don’t mind putting work into it but money is lacking so I’m trying to do this as affordable as possible. I have ideas how to do the armor, it’s just the helmet that I’m having an issue with.

What kind of foam? Like expanding foam? Craft foam? I don’t mind putting work into it but money is lacking so I’m trying to do this as affordable as possible. I have ideas how to do the armor, it’s just the helmet that I’m having an issue with.
Most of us here on the forums build our armor out of eva foam. These are most accessible in the four pack of puzzle peice floor mats. The cheapest place to get them is usually harbor freight. Craft foam is too flexible and thin, but works great for adding layers and detail. Glues and adhesives are dependent on what you have available or are willing to work with. I hate hot glue as it gets all over the place, the seams arent great, and I burn myself, but I have also seen people make professional grade things with hot glue. I prefer contact cement as the seams will be very fine and it will be hard to tear away. Super glue and other adhesives will work fine. I highly reccomend watching videos by kamuicosplay, zonzonzombie, punishedprops, eviltedsmith, and any other you can find on youtube as this will give you a great idea on how tk work with this material. Also do any reading you can on the forums of build of this helmet or just foam helmets in general. If you have any questions please ask and post progress so we can help you and guide you :)

Seconding Harbor Freight for cheap foam. It isn't the best (some pieces have holes BUT THOSE CAN BE PATCHED). Other supplies include a heat gun (a hairdryer will NOT work) and cutting implements (box cutters, exacto blades etc, whatever you like).

I've mentioned this before in other threads but definitely don't just jump into the helmet since it is the most complicated part of the build. If you look at my post history, you can see my build I just finished. The first pieces I did were the biceps and shoulders and then built up to the more complicated parts.

Ps, excellent choice in RvB character! Felix is cool!

Most of us here on the forums build our armor out of eva foam. These are most accessible in the four pack of puzzle peice floor mats. The cheapest place to get them is usually harbor freight. Craft foam is too flexible and thin, but works great for adding layers and detail. Glues and adhesives are dependent on what you have available or are willing to work with. I hate hot glue as it gets all over the place, the seams arent great, and I burn myself, but I have also seen people make professional grade things with hot glue. I prefer contact cement as the seams will be very fine and it will be hard to tear away. Super glue and other adhesives will work fine. I highly reccomend watching videos by kamuicosplay, zonzonzombie, punishedprops, eviltedsmith, and any other you can find on youtube as this will give you a great idea on how tk work with this material. Also do any reading you can on the forums of build of this helmet or just foam helmets in general. If you have any questions please ask and post progress so we can help you and guide you :)
Will do! Probably won’t start building until sometime next year because I need to do more research and save up money for supplies.

Seconding Harbor Freight for cheap foam. It isn't the best (some pieces have holes BUT THOSE CAN BE PATCHED). Other supplies include a heat gun (a hairdryer will NOT work) and cutting implements (box cutters, exacto blades etc, whatever you like).

I've mentioned this before in other threads but definitely don't just jump into the helmet since it is the most complicated part of the build. If you look at my post history, you can see my build I just finished. The first pieces I did were the biceps and shoulders and then built up to the more complicated parts.

Ps, excellent choice in RvB character! Felix is cool!
Lol Felix is way too cool. Like, it’s not fair how cool he is and even though I shouldn’t start with the helmet, I want to because of it comes out decent it’ll give me more motivation to finish the rest. My thinking is “if I can make the helmet, I can make the rest of the body armor”

I would recommend starting with a smaller piece that will give the flexibility to experiment without getting discouraged. A bicep or shoulder plate is a great first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back