How To Make An Assault Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm374787

Greetings all,

I'm wanting to make a Halo style assault rifle which needs to be sturdy as I intend to use it in fan films with some sweet VFX.

Anyway, rather than look at 100's of reference photos, I was wondering if someone else has made a sturdy rifle which would fit my purpose.

You could make a pep file and then saw it in half and fibreglass it, and finally glue it back together. Or use some filling foam (I think it's called that).

That, or carve it out of wood.

Also, welcome to the 405th!

Boryenko said:
You could make a pep file and then saw it in half and fibreglass it, and finally glue it back together. Or use some filling foam (I think it's called that).

That, or carve it out of wood.

Also, welcome to the 405th!

First question, what's a pep file?

Wood sounds good. But I'm still stuck as to where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not planning on making a simple paper display model, I'm talking about something that I could actually pull some melee moves with.

I'm beginning to think a wooden model would (geddet?) be best. Are there any decent reference pictures about? I might make a paper one just as a reference...

Woah there trooper, you're soaring through without doing your research. Go back, read all the stickies in all the forums. That will tell you all the available methods of making anything here on the forums. If you have any specific questions AFTER that, you can contact the Q&A Team Member that has the proper knowledge on the subject you are asking about. I can tell by your Pepakura remark that you didn't read anything about pepakura, strengthening or making molds. So go back do your research and ask a Q&A Member only after you've read all the stickies.

Cheers,
Kensai

Making one using layered cardboard is as strong as you can get. It's not rigid, but its not going to bend or crack either.
And fiberglassed "paper" weapons are stronger then wood, use kevlar and it wont break when you drop it from a ten story building.

-FSS

Like FSS said just because pep "starts" just as a paper model once its been resined and fibreglassed its plenty strong enough, theres nothing stopping you from added sevral layers of glass and if you REALLY want, you can add metal reinforcing into the (for melee combat) base of the reloading bay.
but really should read up on a subject before asking ?tions that have been answered loads already.
(one other note you could always PM adam about his rifle, check the elite section)

Finnish_Spartan said:
Making one using layered cardboard is as strong as you can get. It's not rigid, but its not going to bend or crack either.
And fiberglassed "paper" weapons are stronger then wood, use kevlar and it wont break when you drop it from a ten story building.

-FSS

What FSS said. The only reason why we even bother with paper is that it's a great base for adding fiberglass and resin to, and in the case of armor plates, bondo as well.

You want the secret? Here it is. Read the stickies, search, read the stickies again, put in time, have patience, and the supplies and you will get an AR. Read the post the others have made and you will have an AR. No one way is better than the other. It all depends on what you are most comfortable with. Good luck.

As Finnish_Spartan said, I may go with layered cardboard and fiberglass it. I also found a tutorial for making a wooden one but it looked a little cheap.

Thanks for your advice guys! I'm sorry if I sounded like a noob, I have built props before but I'm aiming for a higher quality this time and didn't really know where to start.

link4044 said:
theres a couple of guys that makes and sells ARs on here ;)

That's an understandment ;) Love your AR, btw & thanks agian on the pistol.

I have a nice paper AR(fiberglassed the hell out of it) and i can hit all kinds of things with it, like those annoying fans at conventions that wont leave you alone, or the crazy fan girls that flying-glomp you...

Anyways pepakura is a great way to go if you want one quick and cheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back