How to reinforce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze rip

Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here and decided to make a helmet from pepakura. I went into a tutorial, downloaded the program, and the helmet file, and printed it off on normal 8 1/2" x 11" paper. I'm going to start putting it together, and I was wondering how you would reinforce it? And with what? Also, when putting the paper together, do you glue it or tape it? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Ok, so I shouldn't reinforce with somthing easier like cardboard, etc. ? And about the assembly of the paper?

when printing the peices, use card stock (its like paper, but heavier and stronger yet still can be put through a printer)

this will give your pep helm some strengh to hold up in the shape you want when glueing.

Use hot glue for the glueing, stronger and more manuverable(sp?)

When you have built the helm outta the card stock, u want to move on to fiberglassing the helmet.

Resin outside, then inside, then lay fiberglass down inside all over, resin over the fiberglass,(repeat if wanted) add another coat of resin on top of that. Now you have an damn strong helm.

Add bondo to the outside to sand down and detail. Paint next, love it last! :lol:

yes cardstock is awesome

but you can use normal elmers glue BUT dont ever use gluestick made that mistake when i was resining the helmet, did i have to restart no but the helmet almost fell apart when i started to resin oh and remember when resining do a part of the helmet till your mix is used up then wait for it to cure then do another portion never all at once because your helmet may warp in the process (mine did but i did something during the fiberglassing process to fix it)

oh and i know you may think this when you finish fiberglassing ONE layer of fiberglass cloth will make your helmet strong but it still can break and or get destroyed easily so id recommend another layer at least 2 or 3 to make sure it wont break

i hope it helps :D

oh and what twisted cory said about loving it

yes you will love it.. alot i love mine so much that my girlfriend is jealous

yea i used cardstock i made a regualr papaer helmet before and it fell apart the second i started reinforcing it with a latex spray so i recomend cardsock or a thick paper and also for the assembly i used a hot glue gun on the inside and tape on the outside, makes it nice and strong! :tutu:

and tape will hide any cracks like the paper lifting in some spots (look at my thread to see what im talking about

i printed mine out on regular paper, glued it to thicker cardstock. But if you have the time and extra money you can fiberglass and resin the helmet (resin works good on its own). OR you could do what i did... fiberglass, and kevlar wrap the whole thing, with a lexan polycarbonate face shield... I can shoot the thing with a gun and the bullets just bounce off, .22 calibur if anyone is wondering, but the whole thing comes out to bout 6 pounds...

Yeah, and not really all that practical. Until techology is a little more advanced, or we start figureing out how to have some bio organic body armor, buying kevlar and such is just a money sink. Really, these suits are nothing more than glorified halloween costumes. But they are awesome!

^very true and great for any event exceptions do apply (imagine someone in MC armor at a wedding or a funeral lol)

thisismadness2 said:
yea i used cardstock i made a regualr papaer helmet before and it fell apart the second i started reinforcing it with a latex spray so i recomend cardsock or a thick paper and also for the assembly i used a hot glue gun on the inside and tape on the outside, makes it nice and strong! :tutu:
Latex spray? Would you mind taking a picture of the product you use and posting it on here or PMing it to me? Thanks! :cool:

pafford09 said:
^very true and great for any event exceptions do apply (imagine someone in MC armor at a wedding or a funeral lol)

OMG, that would be hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
kevlar is expensive...unless you get it for free!!! my dad works at a lab that tests the stuff for some company, some times he gos in and gets the stuff for me that has been already tested, dig it out of the trash, and i can use the good parts from whats left over...

W1D0MAK3R said:
kevlar is expensive...unless you get it for free!!! my dad works at a lab that tests the stuff for some company, some times he gos in and gets the stuff for me that has been already tested, dig it out of the trash, and i can use the good parts from whats left over...

Because we all know the thousands of uses for kevlar....you can:

Float in a pool.

Pummel a friend.

Shave a cat.

Even save humanity from aliens!

And this is all yours for 303 easy payments of $200,000,000! Act now and you get our patented Knife cutting kit, because those knives arn't going to cut themselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back