How To Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleanTHEpig

Hey guys, it's Tim. I'm very new to the site. I started building the Halo armor and weapons about a week ago. I already have the pepakura files printed, cut out, and glued together. I was wondering how I would resin coat all the stuff. I'm currently working on the Halo 3 shotgun as of right now. I could use a shopping list for the resin materials plus a few tips on how to resin the shotgun. Thanks guys.

im currently about 1/2 of the way finished with the shotgun. nearing the bondo and sanding stage. if you have any question specifically about the shotgun, i can try to help you out.

Yeah, actually I do.

See, I found a different shotgun, so reprinted everything for the Hi-Res shotgun. And on a few cut outs, the numbers are so tightly printed, that they are just a mess of black ink. Same problem with you? If so, how'd you get over it?

NapoleanTHEpig said:
Yeah, actually I do.

See, I found a different shotgun, so reprinted everything for the Hi-Res shotgun. And on a few cut outs, the numbers are so tightly printed, that they are just a mess of black ink. Same problem with you? If so, how'd you get over it?

yes that happened to me. basically i left those pieces until almost the end and placed them in the logical openings. you can usually see at least one of the numbers to match up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious. How much did it cost you? My friend wants to make his own, but he's really frugal.

NapoleanTHEpig said:
Oh. Now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious. How much did it cost you? My friend wants to make his own, but he's really frugal.

it was only my 2nd project so it cost me quite a bit to get started but id say the gun itself probably ran me about $25

Yeah if it's high res you won't have to worry too much about buying bondo and all to smooth it out, you may only need resin to get it all rounded. IMO 1 can of resin for about $11 would be enough to coat the gun a few times, and a few dollars if you want to split the prop and reinforce it with expandy foam like some members do here.

Don't forget your organic vapor approved respirator! Buy that first :), As for other materials you'll need: gloves, fiberglassing resin (I use Elmer's personally), a few foam brushes to mix up and apply the resin and an area away from people to store it from weather while it dries such as a garage or shed with a clean surface to rest it on. Make sure to alert any family members, friends, or handymen to keep away as well as any pets. Good luck and happy armor making!

Cheers,
Kensai

mwege,

I saw pics of your shotie. It looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna see about making each half (roughly) separate and then fiber glassing the interior. Then glue it completely together with i little hole in the stock. Then I'll put the expanding foam inside through the hole. And of course, resin the outside and paint it. I want to see your progress man.

To everyone else- Thanks for the shopping list for resin supplies and some tips. I'll prolly put pics up as soon as I finish the peping.

NapoleanTHEpig said:
mwege,

I saw pics of your shotie. It looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna see about making each half (roughly) separate and then fiber glassing the interior. Then glue it completely together with i little hole in the stock. Then I'll put the expanding foam inside through the hole. And of course, resin the outside and paint it. I want to see your progress man.

To everyone else- Thanks for the shopping list for resin supplies and some tips. I'll prolly put pics up as soon as I finish the peping.

thanks. sounds like you have a good idea just find a way to make the halves straight before fiberglassing or they wont line up later. good luck!

mwege441 said:
thanks. sounds like you have a good idea just find a way to make the halves straight before fiberglassing or they wont line up later. good luck!
Thanks. You too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back