How to Ship your Costume to a Con

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

This was copied from my other group website the Superhero Costuming Forum credit goes to Gwarpigdave from that website for the tips.

Why ship your costumes to a con?
I first heard of the idea from a television host that said there are two types of checked luggage… Lost and Stolen.. More and more people are electing to ship their clothes and etc. to their destinations than ever. Many TSA and airport baggage handlers are professional thieves. Everyone knows of someone they’ve stolen from. They have access to inside of every piece of luggage that comes their way. Locked or not. Is Fed-Ex safer? Yes. You can lock your Fed-Ex package with a lock that TSA doesn’t have a master for. You can insure your Fed-Ex package and if a Fed-Ex driver loses too many packages he loses a nice paying job. TSA are federal employees and baggage handlers are union. They don’t get fired and there is no record of baggage they’ve opened.

You’ll need to purchase a nice container to ship in. I’ve used several types over the years. Always choose one you can put small, effective locks on. Keep your keys in two separate locations. I keep one around my neck and another in my carry-on bag. Write “Property Of:” and your home address on the container itself so that there is no doubt where this package belongs if lost. I have four stainless steel tags screwed into the side of my shipping container with nuts on the back side so they can’t be removed. Include your cell phone number on the tags in case it’s lost while you’re away from home. I also put two full size sheets of paper in the package with my “Property Of” information. One easily seen if opened and another hidden in case I have to prove I’m who I say I am. (Yes. I’m paranoid and overly cautious.)

What kind of container? I’ve found my current one the best for the job. It’s a Pelican PE1620FB 1620 Case with Foam (Black). I purchased it online from B & H Photo Video. Price has gone up to about $250, but a delivery driver told me these cases are the best for what I’m doing. The Model 1620 is the largest I could find that is still under the maximum H x W x D measurements for checking luggage with Continental Airlines. It’s a couple of inches under their max in case I decide to check it instead of shipping. This model comes full of tear out foam squares. Handles, wheels, two lock points. (Added by Nintendude): I usually use a 55 gallon tote to pack all my stuff in and it fits all the armor and stuff to pack a Master Chief suit into.

When packing your container I recommend taking pictures of items contained within in the unlikely case you have to prove the value of the contents. I lay a few things in, take a pic, add a few more, another pic…. Keep these on your cell phone and another copy as backup. Do the same when packing for return trip. I also take pics of the hotel room and it’s condition at checkout. My paranoia once again.

If you’re using duct tape to help seal your container, buy another cheap roll to throw in for the taping of the return trip. Also, if you’re like me and putting this on your Fed Ex account, put the return shipping label inside before sealing. Keep a copy of your shipping info either on your laptop or in your carry on so you’ll have it at your destination. I keep a copy of all pertinent travel info on a thumb drive and keep it with me in case there is a problem with hotel, airline, Fed-Ex, etc. People at home or work also have this info as a last resort.

Call the hotel and ask them the address they’d like to receive your container at. Put “Guest: Gwarpig Dave” followed by the hotel’s address. The hotel might charge a handling fee. (Bellhop will have his hand out too, so slap him some skin and say “have a groovy day, my brotha!”) I ship Fed Ex Second Day so I can control when it arrives. I ship regular Fed-Ex back because it’s cheaper. Make sure you insure!!! You worked hard for your stuff so get compensated if lost. Airlines don’t care and you’re screwed. Less so with Fed-Ex. Your pics of the contents will be very helpful if you have to prove value. Make it a reasonable amount though because they will be paying what they think the value is. (yes that sucks, but its very rare.) The hotel doesn’t want to hold your package for very long. They’re like wives, they lose interest in your package quickly so come quick. Have it arrive the day you do or maybe a day before.

Definitely a worthy read. This has a lot of stuff you usually don't think about when shipping stuff. I haven't been to a convention yet that I can't drive to myself, but I decided early on that if I go to SDCC or some other con I have to fly to, I'm shipping my stuff. This also saves the hassle of having to explain props in baggage to airport security and certainly prevents airport confiscation.

A little something I have seen several members of the 501st do...

Find out several people from the area who are going to the same place. Have 1 person drive and everyone give him/her 30-50$ for bringing their costume. 501st R2D2 builders have no choice but to drive and a few people shipping costumes with them helps to cover the gas expense.

This is very helpful, but I still have a few questions. I was thinking about how I could ever get my hunter costume to SDCC. It's going to be one difficult task to get the pieces that I will have done by the time I start school in Cali, but as far as how I would get the whole thing from San Francisco to San Diego was another story entirely.

It's gonna be very hard to do. Especially with how big it will be. I don't know. Any ideas?

This is very helpful, but I still have a few questions. I was thinking about how I could ever get my hunter costume to SDCC. It's going to be one difficult task to get the pieces that I will have done by the time I start school in Cali, but as far as how I would get the whole thing from San Francisco to San Diego was another story entirely.

It's gonna be very hard to do. Especially with how big it will be. I don't know. Any ideas?

All I can suggest is if you travel by Greyhound use the 55 gallon tote idea just remember with Greyhound you get 1 under the bus and one bag as a carry on so to take your suit it will be $10 for each tote I have always just used a 55 gallon tote and I have been able to pack everything from my costumes to clothing and essentials for a week and still have room I know Greyhound has a size restriction if you can get or make a box that size you could also do that.

With how big I suspect your hunter might end up... rent a U-haul? Be a little pricey, but will get the job done. Might be able to mitigate cost if you get in touch with a local group and do what Sirblood said and haul their stuff... you'd have plenty of room.

That's a good idea, Castellan. I'd have to have someone else drive it though, unless I get my lazy butt going and get my license before I move out there.

Having someone else drive it isn't out of the question... in fact, having company on that road trip can help keep all involved away from stir-crazy-ness. But getting your license would still be a good idea, if for no other reason then to swap driving shifts and/or do it all yourself if help falls through and flakes out. You're over 19, so you only have to drive on your permit for 3 months before taking a stab at the full license test.

You might even be able to save money buy picking up the U-haul in San Francisco and dropping it off at a San Diego location for the few days the convention runs, then just do it in reverse. Then again, might also be easier to store the suit in the truck in the parking lot depending on the amount of space free in the hotel room @_@. I've seen all sorts of logistical shenanigans due to how many friends run party rooms and/or compete in Masquerades XD. Good luck on the Hunter. ^_~

I'm just wondering how I'm gonna transport my awkwardly long props like a staff and swords. Bah, those'll be fun to package for shipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back