How To Stick Resin To Resin? Where To Get Aluminium Sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bankz5152

Jr Member
Hey,

Basically does anyone know the best, most sturdy and strongest way to stick one peice of resin to another?

Not though I cannot peg/pin the peices.

Either way im going to reinforce the outside with aluminium sheet.

Also does anyone know where I can get aluminium sheet?

Thanks

Josh

How about sanding down the pieces you're gonna make meet just a bit then brush on some resin like glue between and around the meeting ends. Then patch it up with some paper and or fiberglass depending on what piece you're doing and where.

Never tried it myself but it's something that I've always thought to do if ever given the situation.

Thanks guys. What type of epoxy? How solid will that be?

The joint has to be incredably solid. Also hats the best way of attaching the Aluminium to the resin?

Just some advice:

It's probably not a good idea to try and use a material you don't know how to use and don't know how to procure.

Anyway, you might try a 2-part Polyepoxide resin between the parts. You can generally get it at hobby stores. Polyurethane doesn't like to bond to cured polyurethane in my experience.

I do know how to use AL used alot before. The place i used to get it from closed down :( and i cant seem to find another.

Thanks for all the help guys

You can get small pieces, up to like 3'x3', of aluminum sheet metal at any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, you name it). The only downside is that it's sold at a much more expensive price than at a metal supplier. You'll probably pay $60 for a large 3'x3' piece, and you probably wouldn't pay much more for a whole 4'x8' sheet at a real metal supplier.

If you have a 4x4 shop in your area, call them and ask where they would recommend getting metal fabrication supplies from. They probably have a local supplier that they work with.

Aluminium sheets are something that is easy to find on the web or on the market today. Make sure you do some research prior to purchase of the sheet as there might be a large range of same products with different brands. Select the one that are appropriate for your requirements. There are different kinds of aluminium sheets accessible on today's market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back