How to use plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so i thought i could quickly make a plaster helmet since it will still take atleast a week before i get my silicones etc...

So i want to know how to use plaster with my helmet.
I have bought these plaster sheets before (which you soak in water and apply to your mask) but im not sure if they are detailed enough.
So i came to ask your help on the plaster that you mix yourself.
Do you just apply it to your helmet like the silicone?

Thank you.

Finnish Spartan said:
Okay so i thought i could quickly make a plaster helmet since it will still take atleast a week before i get my silicones etc...
So i want to know how to use plaster with my helmet.
I have bought these plaster sheets before (which you soak in water and apply to your mask) but im not sure if they are detailed enough.
So i came to ask your help on the plaster that you mix yourself.
Do you just apply it to your helmet like the silicone?
Thank you.
Being a plaster-experienced person.....
1. Plaster bandages/gauze isn't a good idea for the details, but definately worth using for the core structure. Do the first 2 or so layers in plaster bandages, then start packing on the mixed plaster overtop.
2. The mixing plaster (prob best to use Plaster of Paris for this...) can be applied like silicon, yes. If you wanna do it that way, wait for the plaster to set a bit (usually 1-2 minutes) before you start scooping it out for brushing. I usually just take a spoon...and start applying it while the plaster is still wet. Do small batches, and learn your favorite way :)
3. You better be good at chiselling, because plaster isn't easy like clay. If you screw up, it's back to mixing plaster and touching-up. I reccommend clay over plaster; clay is reusable too!

Edit: grr.....uh
I just read your other thread post, and now I know you're asking something different. I thought you were asking how to make a helmet out of plaster. What you actually want, is to make a mold of of plaster. If that's so:
1. Section off parts of your helmet with cards or more clay. Something similar to how you'd prepare for silicon.
2. Brush on WET plaster with a spoon or brush, and make sure to get all the details covered. I also reccommend making a clay wall around your helmet so that runoff plaster will not get everywhere.
3. The *outermost* layers should be plaster bandages, not the innermost. These will give a protective shell cover.
4. Make your mold at least 1/2 an inch thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plaster is weak and brittle, it's meant for molding or fixing cracks in walls, it wont work too good for armor if your making a pep helmet.

I have started using plaser bandages on one of my peped helmets (the first one finishing worthy) and it is strong and somewhat fexible. here are the issues the plaser is wet so does horrors to paper i fixed this by coating it with tempera gloss varnish (amazing stuff made to keep water away from the paper worked extremly well). for the most part this worked well i just have one major but fixable rip. also it is very rough do you think that i could sand it?

Squirtle117 said:

Yeah umm, please check the dates of the last post, if it is over a month since please do not post, Unless:

1. You've gotten permission from a Moderator.

2. It is your thread and you have an update on a project.

If you do not have one of these reasons, then please refrain from posting in a thread that has not been replied to in over a month, that is what we call around here a Necro Post and it is very much frowned on here.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
See the reason you use silicone is because it is flexible. The plaster will not release anywhere that you have a wall that is not straight unless you put a split line everywhere. I would wait until the silicone arrives. Patience is one thing making armor requires. If you hurry it will show. Do it right and you will be happier. Just my opinion.

If your going to use plaster sheets you should probably apply it in the inside (dry and use the minimum amount of water, sift it out with your finger as much as you can.) because if you try and sand it on the outside, the nettings going to be in the way and be a bitch. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back