I Am Very Young But Want Armor Nether The Less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with making your armor!

Just because you're only thirteen (or near that age) doesn't mean that you cannot make a decent suit. I remember several years back when I was about that age. A friend and I wanted to make Jedi costumes. So we figured out how to make replica lightsabers. Not the cheap plastic ones you purchase in the stores, but the ones that look like in the movies. For a little under $15 USD, we were able to make excellent replicas. People were actually surprised that we hadn't paid hundreds to do them. And all we used were some plumbing items, electrical tape, and a dremel.

So have faith in yourself, and look for ways to make it less expensive. There are usually different options that will make things cheaper.

My advice: Keep your options open.

If you want inexpensive card stock for Pepakura modeling, go to big warehouse stores like Costco or Sam's Club. They usually have large packs of paper for very little money. And that can be used as a basis for later projects. I purchased a ream of 150 sheets of card stock a while back. It cost me about $7 USD, and I'm still using it.

Also, ask the Q&A folks. They're here and waiting to help!

No worries, age doesn't matter so much as long as your determined to make something cool. Perhaps your brother could show you how to do it? Or we have a great Q&A team here willing to help. Acctually, it would be cool for you and your brother to have some sort of "team" for making armor, because trust me, it gets boring folding paper for hours. I bet it helps to have someone to talk to.

Overlord_Ian said:
No worries, age doesn't matter so much as long as your determined to make something cool. Perhaps your brother could show you how to do it? Or we have a great Q&A team here willing to help. Acctually, it would be cool for you and your brother to have some sort of "team" for making armor, because trust me, it gets boring folding paper for hours. I bet it helps to have someone to talk to.

Well to keep you guys posted i have most of the chest and back done,(I said MOST not COMPLETE) and i will have to barrow my dads camera to show you guys. I think my bros gonna help me with da helmet :D and im gonna ask some Q's in Q&A so ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
please don't bother with vacuforming.
For this kind of detail, it will turn out $#!T.
Same reason I don't recommend airbrushing.

Just pep and fiberglass or if you must, make moulds and clone with plastic or resin.

moofactory said:
please don't bother with vacuforming.
For this kind of detail, it will turn out $#!T.
It depends what you are vacuumforming...
If you make the recon helmet, you could vac form the small 'box' details that come in it to add to the detail.

-FSS

Finnish_Spartan said:
It depends what you are vacuumforming...
If you make the recon helmet, you could vac form the small 'box' details that come in it to add to the detail.

-FSS

I don't really plan on vacume forming, :rolleyes but I am going to resin it, my brother lost the rest of the papers for the back of the,well, back so now i have to RE-pep them, as for everything else, my bro gave me everything in one pile, wich doesnt do good since i dont know what part fo body they are. ill keep you guys updated once i finish some.

hay man welcome to the forums! I 14 so u will not fell discriminated that u are small. The only diference between us is that u live in England and I in Dubai+u have some1 who made the armor in your area.

During my membership here I know this stuf almost completely so feel free to ask me or the Q&A team.

hey if you want to do it soo badley just go out to staples get 110 pound card stock grap a pep file Pep files
and than print it out cut it glue it than get your bro to help you

I want to do it too but remember @jerik that he stated that his brother doesn't want to help him(or this is what I understood)

for your help

scalings: helmet 25.04979(fits every head)
for others u need to make for yourself the scaling u know better ur measures
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1804

Safety
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8604 (I hope your brother has a mask if he made the armor u will need it whe u will paint and bondo and resin it)

Howto

Resin http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2287
wire http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2481
bondo http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3711

Hope it helped.

Lets not point out the obvious here guys... I think he knows about the stickies by now, but is in search of someone to tutor him with his project.

Not everyone can learn simply by reading, I have to imagine that some people need a little more support when starting something new like this.

Anyone care to volunteer to help this guy? You can continue the conversation via PM's so that you're not getting 20 different answers for every question.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help in any way.

<EDIT>

@ AIBF: it's been said, but really, the stickies ARE your best option, for now at the very least. As much as someone can walk you through this, that help is only going to go so far. The best people can do is refer that information back to you verbatim and then hope you get it right. However, I think it's great that you have this project going along with your father, and I hope that his experience and your enthusiasm will make this a really great showcase project.

You may want to check out the "kid size helmet" thread here in the noob forum. He started with the Test sizer helmet pep model - which folded up rather quickly. Resin & Bondo'd it up for the details. Then made the armor out of closed cell foam. There are some pics in that thread. "He" is my brother btw. I am working on a similar suit for my 10yr old, with the same kind of foam just thinner (crud!). It's not going to be perfect, but my kids think it's awesome! Good luck. Now Turn of the TV and Xbox and get to work! :D

Its been said, but I'll say it again...Welcome to the 405th!

Don't worry about your age..I'm 14; I think there's actually quite a few of us young 'uns round here :p

So, I think Ultrakiller pretty much told you everything there is to know at first! The best thing to do is just to give it a go...try out the easier pep files first, then when you've got the hang of it, move on to HD. I'm a tellin' you from experience, I got so frustrated when my first HD came out awful!

As for funds...what about a paper round? Or a small saturday job at a local shop? Or the good old fashioned chores round the house? :]

Good luck with everything, post some pics up soooon so we can see how your project comes along!

Beth :]

Whats so hard about making armor when you're 13? I made my first AR out of cardboard when I was 11 (back then I didn't even know of this site), and I don't see how it's "impossible" for a 13 year old to do it. So, go for it, you'll be just fine.

By the way, work on the spelling. (It's marine corps, but it is pronounced as core. And I think someone else pointed out "never the less".)

Like I said, it's not impossible. You just need determination and a whole lot of free time.

Good luck and make some kick-ass armor!

BinaryCode said:
Whats so hard about making armor when you're 13? I made my first AR out of cardboard when I was 11 (back then I didn't even know of this site), and I don't see how it's "impossible" for a 13 year old to do it. So, go for it, you'll be just fine.

By the way, work on the spelling. (It's marine corps, but it is pronounced as core. And I think someone else pointed out "never the less".)

Like I said, it's not impossible. You just need determination and a whole lot of free time.

Good luck and make some kick-ass armor!

I also have to deal with school so that takes a lot out of time, so ya, but friday i have off (sprry for bad spelling m im usingA TV AS A MONTIOR RIGHT NOW) SO I WILL HAVE TO DO A LITTLE EVERY DAY.

AI Blue Fox said:
I also have to deal with school so that takes a lot out of time, so ya, but friday i have off (sprry for bad spelling m im usingA TV AS A MONTIOR RIGHT NOW) SO I WILL HAVE TO DO A LITTLE EVERY DAY.
lol sorry I had to wait to go on my computer so ya I really am going to have a problem with that. I am really starting to worry if i fold things right, and where the hell am i going to get the visor (I am not rich) so stress, school,money, lack of pepakura(I don't have it), and my mind trying to tell me its not worth it, and the fact i might grow out of it in about a year (though i can sell it for the amount it will cost to make a new one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back