I Cannot Get The Scaling Right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leda

This is probably my 5th-6th time that I've re-done the calves and it always turns out to be the right height, but the width isn't right, and I can't fit through without having to rip the whole dang thing apart. I honestly have pretty big calves (which is what I REALLY hate about my legs), but if I change the width of the scale, it completely changes the height and it just looks odd. Can anyone help me out here? I'm so tired of wasting paper and glue...

Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment, I lost my USB cord to my camera... and lost my camera.

It could be the pep it's self is the problem (they're ment to be for a Guy's thigh : Dudes are porportionaly different then girls) Maby you could do some reshurch and try to find one thats for a Girl...

Well there's my two cents...

-Edit-

You could cut The thigh in half(The inner part from the outter part) and strenghen them seprately. Then have them be ajustable by ataching them together with a strap...

HARR 18 said:
You could cut The thigh in half(The inner part from the outter part) and strenghen them seprately. Then have them be ajustable by ataching them together with a strap...

Hmm, I thought about doing that before, but I wasn't so sure on how it would look on the final product.

BTW, I said calve, not thigh. xD I'm actually doing great with the thigh, no problem with that, it's only just the calve!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah it would be nice if there was a way to make them wider with out having the length change too. i saw this same thing happen to another persons pep

and he ended up just scaling them to the right width, but then cut out a one inch section in the length and fit it back together the best he could

and after bondo an paint couldnt even notice. but if you went that way dont cut too much off the length or the scale of it might look funny when your wearing it

insanetrooper said:
yeah it would be nice if there was a way to make them wider with out having the length change too. i saw this same thing happen to another persons pep

and he ended up just scaling them to the right width, but then cut out a one inch section in the length and fit it back together the best he could

and after bondo an paint couldnt even notice. but if you went that way dont cut too much off the length or the scale of it might look funny when your wearing it

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do right now. I'm almost done pepping the one with the right width, and it does look a bit funny. Let's hope it does turn out okay when I bondo and paint it just like the person who had the same problem with me.

Would it still fit if you cut it in half so there's a front and back half? Otherwise, you'll probably have to modify it yourself/deal with armor that's too long. I can't really help since I don't know any real ways around it.

5th-6th time!!?? That Sucks. I had to redo both my shins, after I fiberglassed them. They fit o.k. when I finished the pep, test fitted them again after resining, but once I hardened them up with fiberglass, my foot wasn't ever going through the lower bottleneck section. So I scaled them up as far as I could without making them too tall and the same thing happened when I glassed them the 2nd time. I was able to fix them by cutting a piece out, adding some scratch built fillers, and hiding my mods with some bondo.

I can give you my opinion about how & where to cut them and where to add fillers if your interestred, but first, two questions:

Which file are you using for the shins? (modeler/unfolder)

And, just so I understand your question, is it your calf that doesn't fit through, or your foot?

and what part of the model is too small? (opening at the top, bottleneck at the bottom, ect.)

JoeyCoz said:
5th-6th time!!?? That Sucks. I had to redo both my shins, after I fiberglassed them. They fit o.k. when I finished the pep, test fitted them again after resining, but once I hardened them up with fiberglass, my foot wasn't ever going through the lower bottleneck section. So I scaled them up as far as I could without making them too tall and the same thing happened when I glassed them the 2nd time. I was able to fix them by cutting a piece out, adding some scratch built fillers, and hiding my mods with some bondo.

I can give you my opinion about how & where to cut them and where to add fillers if your interestred, but first, two questions:

Which file are you using for the shins? (modeler/unfolder)

And, just so I understand your question, is it your calf that doesn't fit through, or your foot?

and what part of the model is too small? (opening at the top, bottleneck at the bottom, ect.)

I'm using the ones made by crackhead09, and my foot fits through fine, it's just then it gets hard to fit through the rest... (kind of in the back-ish and the bottomish) because my calve is just evil.

Here's a possible solution:

Pics were the best way for me to try and explain this.

shinrearview.jpg

shinsideview.jpg

You can see in the second pic how it will change the part. Before chopping into your shin, I would at least put a couple coats of resin on the thing to make it a bit stronger. That way you don't deform or warp the rest of the shin. (when I did mine, I alreay had resin and 1 layer of fiberglass on the inside)

When you got your final shape worked out, tape everything in place on the outside with some masking tape, then cut fillers out of cardstock anf tape them on the inside. Next resin the fillers inside & out, then add a layer of fiberglass on the inside.

Bondo as needed on the outside to make the fillers blend in.

Here's a link to pics of my finished shin.

My W.I.P. thread It took a alot of time and trial and error with bondo to get it looking like that.

Also you may be interested in how I modded my forearms. I never liked the "funnel look" of the pep models (tiny at the wrist, giant at the elbow). Anyway here's a link to that thread.

Forearm & bicep Mod

You can find some pics of the finished forearms in my WIP threadas well.

Anyway, I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

Wow, thanks!! I'll be sure to try this. The pictures especially helped since I'm the kind of person who cannot follow directions without a bunch of pictures... :lol

I'm having that problem with my thighs, the height is right, but it's too narrow, I'll probably cut a line down the middle and add in some extra cardstock, but I'm still disappointed that the width proportions will be off somewhat.

MW Immortalking said:
I'm having that problem with my thighs, the height is right, but it's too narrow, I'll probably cut a line down the middle and add in some extra cardstock, but I'm still disappointed that the width proportions will be off somewhat.

Exact same problem with mine!

we need a modeler to take the model and stretch them to be wider and deeper for bigger shorter thighs and unfold them. My thighs aren't even fat... I apparently have big thigh muscles for how tall my thighs are...

I had to mod my thighs too. They were almost perfect but they wouldnt go up my thigh high enough for me to walk correctly. I just added a little bit of cardstock where the inner thigh plates were, it doesnt change the look of the thigh that much and after bondo it probably wont even be noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back