I have my base for the warthog im thinking about building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just got off the phone with Bill Gates and he's going to Sponsor me the funds to make three Warthogs and one Warthog Troop Carrier........I wish!!!.... :p my late April Fools. Any ways I got the truck bed pulled off today. I dont know if you guys want me to post pictures of that or not...Basically it looks like a tore up pickup with no truck bed. Im trying to plan this up so most of the Original Cab can be used as the Cab for the Warthog. But who knows It might just be easier to cut, strip and tear the thing down to its frame and build up from there.

Sean I know you just quoted halopedia but...

Length 6.1 meters (20 feet

Width 3 meters (9.75 feet)

Height/depth 3.2 meters (10.5 feet)

Mass 3 metric tons (3.25 tons)

What? No way that can be correct... 20 ft long? 10 ft wide? That sounds more like a tank.
20 ft is a two story building... logically thinking about it and even just looking at it in the game there is no way that can be correct.
It looks to be the size of a normal cab, normal bed pickup truck. Probably in all actuality shorter than this truck Col. McBride has but since he has a wrecked truck that is paid off with AWS its convenient to make it a hog.

EDIT: I checked on bungie.net
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?ty...link=BAGwarthog
To be exact - however I just don't see how this is possible, looking at the scale and proportions to marines and player in game I just can't believe this is correct.
I guess what I'm saying here is - a warthog to this scale is would not only be unrealistic but wouldn't translate to look the same as in the game.
*shakes his head in disbelief of these proportions*

Last edited by a moderator:
leegrisham said:
Sean I know you just quoted halopedia but...
What? No way that can be correct... 20 ft long? 10 ft wide? That sounds more like a tank.
20 ft is a two story building... logically thinking about it and even just looking at it in the game there is no way that can be correct.
It looks to be the size of a normal cab, normal bed pickup truck. Probably in all actuality shorter than this truck Col. McBride has but since he has a wrecked truck that is paid off with AWS its convenient to make it a hog.

EDIT: I checked on bungie.net
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?ty...link=BAGwarthog
To be exact - however I just don't see how this is possible, looking at the scale and proportions to marines and player in game I just can't believe this is correct.
I guess what I'm saying here is - a warthog to this scale is would not only be unrealistic but wouldn't translate to look the same as in the game.
*shakes his head in disbelief of these proportions*

I have been looking at this also, I also have been looking at the Warthog video on youtube. I think I am going to add the lift Kit, Bigger Tires and size it up with the frame. The Warthog they built for the movie is not even as big as the dimensions posted above and I will try to get some more information on the dimensions of that one. Ill pull out the tape measure tomorrow and get some dimensions on my truck.

Friendly said:
The length of a Hummer H3 is 15.55 feet.

Width = 6.225 ft.

I was thinking more about width, but as I sit here and look at the center consul, it seems like it is a good 3ft wide. so about 10 feet sounds right. Like I said, I cant visualize this in my head right now. I need to get out there and take measurements of my truck first.

This is a chevy commercial vehichle, it is approximately 20ft long and 7 ft wide.
scale.jpg

This thing is huge, use your imagination, can you see a warthog being that big? No, it doesn't match up visually with the game and what you know to be a warthog.

The hummer is roughly 16ft long and 7ft wide - but it has a double cab and cargo room. It is also too long to be a warthog model.
Modern ceilings are usually no higher than 10' and if you fell from the top of a 2 story building you will have fallen approximately 20'

Take a look at the following pictures...
real_warthog.jpg

This is a 'real' warthog when you see it you think 'that is incredibly accurate', just the way you picture a warthog looking in real life.

This is of course the game model...
game_Warthog.jpg

Those two look so similar, the real model is obviously not 16 ft long - so visually and logically thinking neither can be the in game model - Bungie is off on their specifications... as much research as they do, as much as I love them and their game they are wrong here.

Now look at this full size regular bed regular cab pickup truck. It is no where near 20 ft long and probably only about 5-6 ft wide, it is very close to the size of the 'real' warthog and visual imagery of the in-game warthog.
regtruck.jpg

Honestly the full size truck is probably too long - something like a Toyota Tacoma would probably be the best. It would be sized and lifted almost perfectly.
Now although my opinion is that Col McBride's truck is also probably too long it isn't very often an opportunity to use a truck with AWS comes along.

I think this would look amazing and being AWS it would be even better!

There is no way that 20' x 10' is correct. That would be a gigantic vehicle. Bigger than the Chevy commercial vehicle above. I'm not trying to be an ass here I'm just saying what I think and what I feel - I just hope that you see my point. (Which of course I believe is the correct one)

Video game proportions rarely translate well to the real world. Thats what makes them fiction.

Master Chief is a 7 ft tall, 1 ton behemoth of machinery and muscle... with barbie doll hips. The Brute Spiker gun is supposed to be almost 3 ft long. As much as videogames to emulate reality, they are often far from the mark, because they are a conglomeration of art, storytelling and simulation, and larger than life... literally in this case.

I agree that a 20 ft long warthog wouldn't look right in reality, but if thats what they game purports it to be, I can't argue with Bungies writers..

Scale your warthog to the vehicle that you have... that is, unless you're 7 ft tall and want some extra leg room. ;)

As stated by Belakor, who has seen up close and personal the glory that is the WETA Warthog, he talked to the persons responsible for its build (I think) and what they said was:

the base vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee that was stripped to the chassis, the body was modeled and SLA'ed (in-house I believe), molded and cast in fiberglass

That being said the Jeep Cherokee's overall length is 167.5 in. (13.6 feet) and the width is 69.4 in. (5.78 feet)

There is NO FREAKIN WAY the in-game Warthog is 20 feet long X 10 feet wide. That would be a behemoth on the streets and Probably not "street legal" to have any vehicle of that proportion...

Sean Bradley said:
Video game proportions rarely translate well to the real world. Thats what makes them fiction.

Master Chief is a 7 ft tall, 1 ton behemoth of machinery and muscle... with barbie doll hips. The Brute Spiker gun is supposed to be almost 3 ft long. As much as videogames to emulate reality, they are often far from the mark, because they are a conglomeration of art, storytelling and simulation, and larger than life... literally in this case.

I agree that a 20 ft long warthog wouldn't look right in reality, but if thats what they game purports it to be, I can't argue with Bungies writers..

Scale your warthog to the vehicle that you have... that is, unless you're 7 ft tall and want some extra leg room. ;)

I agree with that statement, I also understand that it is a video game and far from reality.
I guess I just don't understand why they would make such exaggerated written proportions. You know what I mean? The brute spiker is visually not 3 ft long so why not make the stated specs reflect that and same with the warthog in this case.
I am done arguing the point of perspectives and proportions, everyone can see that a 20ft warthog would not translate into a realistic looking vehicle and also that the in-game warthog doesn't really translate to a 20ft vehicle.
I may have went off topic a bit here and I apologize but I just needed to get this whole wrong proportions thing out of my system, now it's time to move on to this fellow making a work of art. Hopefully.
I say go for it Col. McBride Tyson L.

(y)

Well said Lee. I think we should just concentrate on helping Col. McBride on realizing this project aside from the inconsistency of measurements.

Oh, I dunno how I managed to miss this topic.

Dear Col.!
I have life-sized 3D model of wathog body with all proportions.
Just tell me what length or width of warthog you want and I'll publish
measureable model and any blueprints satisfying your requirements.

Best regards.
1st Lt. bevbor

bevbor said:
Oh, I dunno how I managed to miss this topic.

Dear Col.!
I have life-sized 3D model of wathog body with all proportions.
Just tell me what length or width of warthog you want and I'll publish
measureable model and any blueprints satisfying your requirements.

Best regards.
1st Lt. bevbor

Roger, I have not had a chance to go out and measure my truck. I have been BBQ'n all day. the Family and Friends are all here. So this is the first time I have had a chance to sit down. Ill let you know what I need. Thanks guys

Truck, is 17Ft long and 6.5Ft width. I'm going to factor in Height after I add the lift kit and bigger tires. (Add the tail gate that is not there due to it being tore off in the wreck, with the tail gate down the truck was prob about 18Ft long.

that sounds sick ya for the turrit mount i was thinking that you sould like get a paintball gun or a co2 airsoft gun something thats loud lol and modd it into a machine gun that would be cool. bud luck about your truck sound like a sick truck but i would make it into a warthog and make some clips of it and stuff. keep up with the ideas

Just to let you guys know, I'm still going forward with this project. Things have just been busy as hell for me. Im a single parent with full custody, have a new job, and I am also working on the FS Helm. So I have a bunch of stuff going on. Any ways, new update in the next couple of days along with some pictures. If you are interested in helping out with this project shoot me a pm and we will talk more. When the hog is complete I plan on using it for conventions and parades to show support for the 405th. I have the truck bed off and I will be starting on the interior soon. I will have a butt load of picturess to upload so I hope you guys enjoy them.

PS Anyone in the 405th good with Carbon Fiber or Carbon Kevlar? Thats what I have decided to use for the body.

Edit: I need tire and rim sizes for the hog.

sounds like it's going to be amazing! you ftw!

(@ sean bradley "barbie doll hips" amused me for quite some time haha...go you!)

I sent a model from halo 2

The specs on the hog:

Length: 15ft 2in
Hight (from base of body): 4ft 10in
Width: 6ft 3in
Length of bed: 4ft 5in
Width of Bed: 4ft 6in
Hight of turret: 5ft 9in
Rim: 1ft 7in (looks like you will be rolling on 19s)
Wheel: 3ft 4in
Wheel Base: 10ft 10in (wheel to wheel)
Total Hight: 9 ft

All these are were taken from sketchup measuring tool so there not 100% but there close. I have personally used that tool more then once on my gears project and it came out perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back