I Need A Specific Type Of Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigwillie5

Jr Member
Well just like the above link says, i need clay, but i remember that a while ago someone posted a specific brand that could be melted and poured and was actually tested by the person who posted it, but unfortunately i cant remember what it was, ive tried using the search function to find it and it hasnt worked, so does anyone know what i may be talking about? i believe it could be oil based clay, but from what i have read it tends to stay soft and never dries out, and oil based clay tends to crack if not kept properly maintained or used immediately

I just got done with a clay project like what your talking about. click the noble six link under my sig.

but anyways Chavant NSP medium clay if what i would go with if I were you, its easy to work with, melts an pours at 180 degree F

and through the project i never had cracking issues or any problems at all.

but take a look at my noble six thread its pretty helpful with what your asking about :D

Any of the oil based clays can be melted like that (I remember the post you're talking about). I have always used a brand called Roma Plastilina, but they are all basically the same. You can't usually find them at common retailers, like Walmart, but might be able to at Michael's or other craft stores (I couldn't). The best prices are found online. It runs $6-10 for a 2lb block, regardless of brand / hardness / etc.

I will tell you that, in my opinion, what that guy did by melting the clay and pouring it into the paper model was not necessary. He did it because he is afraid of fiberglass resin fumes (I think he said he had lung problems). It would be much easier to resin / fiberglass the paper model, and put clay on the OUTSIDE for details. He went through a lot of work just to avoid the resin.

Depending on which method you decide on following, you'll need several blocks of it. I used about 15 blocks (30lb, $120) for making my armor. If you fiberglass the paper model, and just use small amounts of clay on the outside, 5 blocks would probably be plenty.

One final note, especially if cost is a concern, melting the clay like that guy did, RUINS IT. It makes it drier, and it cracks easier and becomes more brittle, which is exactly what clay is not supposed to be like. I tried doing something similar to him, by melting it, when I did my armor, and I noticed that it was ruining the clay. If you find that post, you'll notice that I asked him about it, and he too said it was not good for his clay. It's just sad to throw out $100 worth of clay, but it was ok to him because he wanted to avoid fiberglass resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back