Ichigo's Hollow Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend cloth over matt, but i'd also recommend premixed resin fibre over either. It's easier to apply, less messy and you don't get pooled resin or poorly overlapped pieces/layering. This thing should be insanely solid from all those layers? You can get things pretty freakin tough just from one coat of heavy mixed resin! Must be solid as a rock :D

If you're worried about the inside coat it in body filler/poured hot glue instead of bondo, will give you a smoother, nicer finish!
-Elliot

Hey your mask pep'ed up looks much nicer than mine dose. No fair i think you swapped me. J/k , but really it is nice also a huge fan. Any idea on how your going to do the teeth?

Hey your mask pep'ed up looks much nicer than mine dose. No fair i think you swapped me. J/k , but really it is nice also a huge fan. Any idea on how your going to do the teeth?

I just finished this pep and it wasn't exactly right. I had to add some crossbraces on the back to get the make the right shape.
63934ffd-a15d-c714.jpg

This may help you get it to look the way you want. Sorry to hijack the thread just thought this was a notable solution.

Oops! I meant to put these pictures up a week ago! These were after two thin coats of bondo, and only moderate sanding.

3-1-1.jpg

3-3.jpg

These pictures are from as of last night; As far as I can tell, there are no noticeable low spots, and it's very smooth and relatively symmetrical. I did end up using a ton of spotting putty though.

4-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

4-4.jpg

The penciled lines coming from the eyes have since been carved out with my dremel, and the penciled lines near the mouth with act as guidelines for the teeth. As for the teeth themselves, i've made two master teeth out of Das Terracotta clay, an upper and lower tooth.

Today I plan to make a mold using this stuff I found at Michael's. I'm unsure of the properties of this compound, so i'll run a few tests. First I will put bondo in the mold, which if it works will make for a very fast production time. If bondo doesn't work or ruins the mold, I will try again by just stuffing clay into it. I'd rather not have to do it this way because the clay is air drying, and that would take a while to make a dozen casts.

Sidenote: The whole mask at the moment weighs roughly a pound, and I can't bend it in any way no matter how hard I try. I'm kind of curious to try shooting it with my pellet gun, but I don't want to chance anything. I'm not sure of the fps of the gun, but it packs more a punch than my airsoft gun.

The penciled lines near the mouth with act as guidelines for the teeth. As for the teeth themselves, i've made two master teeth out of Das Terracotta clay, an upper and lower tooth.

Today I plan to make a mold using this stuff I found at Michael's. I'm unsure of the properties of this compound, so i'll run a few tests. First I will put bondo in the mold, which if it works will make for a very fast production time. If bondo doesn't work or ruins the mold, I will try again by just stuffing clay into it. I'd rather not have to do it this way because the clay is air drying, and that would take a while to make a dozen casts.

Man I really want to see an update on this. If you can take tons of photos of how you are making the teeth, because I am stuck pretty much where you are right now. This teeth problem got me very perplexed not sure on how to go about it without spending a ton of money. so far good work also i think the mouth area on yours is wider than mine... hmmm not sure what to do kinda hoping that the teeth on mine will fill it out to a more appropriate size. Good work so far.

Man I really want to see an update on this. If you can take tons of photos of how you are making the teeth, because I am stuck pretty much where you are right now. This teeth problem got me very perplexed not sure on how to go about it without spending a ton of money. so far good work also i think the mouth area on yours is wider than mine... hmmm not sure what to do kinda hoping that the teeth on mine will fill it out to a more appropriate size. Good work so far.

I have a few friends who have made these masks with methods other than pepakura and a popular way of doing the teeth is to use the fake press on nails from walmart and cut them to shape. I am curious to see what the molded teeth turn out like as well.

Man I really want to see an update on this. If you can take tons of photos of how you are making the teeth, because I am stuck pretty much where you are right now.

You're in luck my friend! My original mold dried out and is now useless! So today I had the opportunity to make a new one with my camera nearby.

5-1.jpg

These are my two clay master teeth. The longer is the upper tooth and the shorter is the lower. The light patches are bits of my original mold that stuck to the clay.

5-2.jpg

The masters in the molding compound. The compound is a 2 parts dry powder, and 3 parts water mix, which creates a rather fragile mold that will shrink and harden over time.

5-3.jpg

The finished mold. Far better than my first one, I'm actually happy it dried out!

5-4.jpg

The mold filled with (half-cured)bondo, which works perfectly well with the molding compound.

5-5.jpg

My first pull from the new mold! Very happy with it.

5-6.jpg

Preliminary sanding with a grinding wheel. Sandpaper afterwards.

5-7.jpg

The 4 successful pulls from the original mold. There were 2 failures in which there was too much cream hardener for the amount of bondo. Mixing on such a small scale is a little tricky.

I should be done making the teeth by tomorrow or the day after, it's finally getting warm enough to work outside! A whopping 48°F tomorrow! I'm not quite sure how I'll fix the teeth to the mask yet, maybe drops of bondo? I may have some epoxy lying around somewhere.

Small update. As of 1:28AM EST

All the teeth are made, and I'm working on fixing them to the mask; In the pictures below you can see the almost finished bottom row. I am using spotting putty as glue for the teeth, and it seems to hold them on fairly well. I may or may not make "gums" for the teeth out of clay or bondo, too soon to say.

6-1.jpg

6-2.jpg

6-3.jpg

I still have yet to choose a paint scheme, but I am leaning towards the 5-stripe design from the end of the Soul Society Arc. This AMV has some decent shots of it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUMQArrd8K0

Update 6:15 PM EST

All the teeth are glued to the mask, spotting putty does a very good job of that. I've decided that I will make "gums" out of clay to help blend the teeth in with the mask a bit better.

7-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

7-3.jpg

Extreme Closeup!

AB is just a few weeks a way. Do you have the rest of his outfit? I might be there if I can somehow find enough money for expences. I know a friend of mine is going as a female Dante from Devil May Cry. If you see her comment on her twin guns..... the ones in the holsters on her back. :p She built a really cool sword too. I give her mad credit for the sculpt work shw did.

Sorry for the slight off topic comment.

edit: Sweet!!!!!!! I'm Site Admin! :p .... now I dont want to go and screw this promotion up. ;-)

@Talon
Unfortunately I do not. I didn't have the money to buy it, nor the time to learn the skills to make it myself. I'm not sure what i'm going to do instead, i'll figure it out. And, can do! I'll remember that!

Today I started and finished the clay "gums", and primed the mask.

8-1.jpg

8-2.jpg

8-5.jpg

8-6.jpg

8-7.jpg

8-8.jpg

I still have to sand a few bits smooth, and i'm going to hold off painting until I can figure something out...

Would anybody be interested in purchasing a cast? I would sell somewhere between 65-75USD, fully painted.
I know I'm not supposed to sell things one the 405th until I reach Infantyman status and gain access to the Classifieds, this is only an inquiry. I need some cash, but if there isn't any/enough demand, I can't justify spending money on molding and casting supplies. Especially since I am trying to get money for Anime Boston.

As somewhat of a bleach fan myself, I find myself quite liking this build :D
Planning on adding black cheese-cloth to the eye sockets? On that note, it would be a fun change to make them glow as well.
Still, I have to worry about using spot putty as glue for the teeth, as a fair amount of my frusturation comes from it cracking / flaking off.
Keep up the good work!

Thank you all for the kind words!! This is my first build to go this far towards completion, and your encouragement means more than you know! :)

Planning on adding black cheese-cloth to the eye sockets? On that note, it would be a fun change to make them glow as well.
Still, I have to worry about using spot putty as glue for the teeth, as a fair amount of my frusturation comes from it cracking / flaking off.

I've definitely thought about doing something like that! And although I am convinced I can build a simple rig to make the eye's glow, I'm not so sure I would be able to see with it installed! So I'll probably end up doing that eventually, even if it will only work for display.

The spotting putty actually made a great glue! I wouldn't trust it to hold up to being dropped straight on the teeth, but the clay I build up over the edges keeps them very solid and would made a nice socket of a quick and easy re-gluing if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got impatient and decided to start painting anyways. With Anime Boston growing closer everyday, I'm not convinced that I would be able to sell casts in time to pay for it. But if there is any interest at all, I suppose I can pay for AB out of pocket, and sell casts afterwards to make up the expense. Anyways;

9-1-1.jpg

This is the black undercoat, which will only show in the teeth and eye details. It brought out more imperfections that the primer didn't. Oh well. :/

9-3-1.jpg

The details taped off.

9-5.jpg

The white topcoat! For some reason, the white paint doesn't feel as thick as the black paint, even though they are the same brand and type. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's just my imagination. I was worried that removing the painters tape would screw up the paint job, but it came off just fine!

9-8.jpg

This is where I'm at now. I scrawled the stripes on the mask, and am carefully taping and erasing. It's tedious and time consuming, and I can't help but think there was a better way. But I started it this way, I might as well finish!

Side-note: I weighed the mask on my shipping scale, and it is exactly 15.1oz. (428.1g) Which according to Wolfram Alpha, is 1.2 times the weight of a 12oz. can of soda.

Amazing build, I am a huge bleach fan as well and I've always loved this version of the mask compared to his new one. But here is a little constructive criticism about the teeth. In the anime the teeth on the mask do not over lap, and they have the pointed end at the top and bottom as seen in this pic: http://images.wikia.com/bleach/en/images/4/4c/Ichigo_Masked.jpg
Still this is an amazing build none the less, I can't wait to see the finished project! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back