Im building an odst costume and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're working with EVA, remember to keep a sharp knife. Sharp knives make smooth cuts which means easy to join seams and nice clean finished products.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Andrew DFT on Youtube just finished up a youtube series on building ODST armour. Might want to check it out if your still only getting started

Andrew DFT on Youtube just finished up a youtube series on building ODST armour. Might want to check it out if your still only getting started

Odd thing is he is doing the Reach ODST which is a little different to the Halo 3: ODST. But I cannot find a good comparison image to gauge the differences.. Fir example in the dft tutorials the lower abdominal plate is just one plate but in may cosplays its different - like this:
2420c8ccb6b954f8efc818be6cefad44.jpg
On this here the lower chest and abdomen plates are different to what DFT is doing. Also the whole chest armour is different..?

Odd thing is he is doing the Reach ODST which is a little different to the Halo 3: ODST. But I cannot find a good comparison image to gauge the differences.. Fir example in the dft tutorials the lower abdominal plate is just one plate but in may cosplays its different - like this:
View attachment 31783
On this here the lower chest and abdomen plates are different to what DFT is doing. Also the whole chest armour is different..?

You have me there, but the techniques DFT uses can still be applied to a Halo 3 ODST armour, even with its differences.

If you compare Buck to a Reach ODST, a few of the armour pieces match up just enough for you to follow DFT, but like any other suit its your own choice who to take inspiration from.

You have me there, but the techniques DFT uses can still be applied to a Halo 3 ODST armour, even with its differences.

If you compare Buck to a Reach ODST, a few of the armour pieces match up just enough for you to follow DFT, but like any other suit its your own choice who to take inspiration from.

Yeah man. I am taking inspiration from both as I prefer the reach ODST helmet but I like that chest better especially the lower chest/abdominal plates

Only issue I have run into is I can't bevel eva for crap.. :( and need to go out and maybe buy a dremel (I wish I had nerdy cosplay friends IRL... I am on my own :( )

Yeah man. I am taking inspiration from both as I prefer the reach ODST helmet but I like that chest better especially the lower chest/abdominal plates

Only issue I have run into is I can't bevel eva for crap.. :( and need to go out and maybe buy a dremel (I wish I had nerdy cosplay friends IRL... I am on my own :( )

I'm sure you can buy a knife that is angled. I'm sure I've seen it on a video once, you might want to ask your local Home Depot, Lowes, Bunnings (not sure what country your in), whatever hardware store is nearest to you. Other then that it's just practice and keeping the blade sharp (invest in a sharpening stone/tool), one I only recently achieved

I just finished my chest piece using Andrew DFT's method for the Reach ODST. He did do a regular ODST web series previously, I'd suggest checking that out!

I'm sure you can buy a knife that is angled. I'm sure I've seen it on a video once, you might want to ask your local Home Depot, Lowes, Bunnings (not sure what country your in), whatever hardware store is nearest to you. Other then that it's just practice and keeping the blade sharp (invest in a sharpening stone/tool), one I only recently achieved

I am Australian my friend. Yes an angle knife sounds epic and a great idea. I could also invest in a dremel.. which might work. hehe

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished my chest piece using Andrew DFT's method for the Reach ODST. He did do a regular ODST web series previously, I'd suggest checking that out!

I am probably sticking with the tutorial man. But I can't bevel cut at all so problems. I cut myself trying :(

I am probably sticking with the tutorial man. But I can't bevel cut at all so problems. I cut myself trying :(

Ouch! I stuck with the tutorial but yeah, the bevels gave me grief :( Have you tried cutting it from the backside in? I found that helped! Also, which type of blade are you using? I have to get the exactly type Andrew is using in his vids to even come remotely-close to his result.

What do you mean by backside in? I am using exacto blades with the detachable knife things. Though I have not clue how to detach them for the next blade... also I am using scissors to cut out the templates because I struggle to get decent straight perfect 90 degree angles :(

Instead of cutting from the front, flip it over and try and cut the angle from there? Ah, XACTO blades probably aren't long enough. I was having that problem with my utility knife. You need the really thin knives like Andrew uses, extend it all the way out then try cutting that way. If they're like the xactos I use, the top holding the blade should unscrew :) I used my blades to cut the templates out, easier on my hands then scissors :)

Instead of cutting from the front, flip it over and try and cut the angle from there? Ah, XACTO blades probably aren't long enough. I was having that problem with my utility knife. You need the really thin knives like Andrew uses, extend it all the way out then try cutting that way. If they're like the xactos I use, the top holding the blade should unscrew :) I used my blades to cut the templates out, easier on my hands then scissors :)

Ahh right wrong knife... These ones - FixXkkx.jpg what ever they're called. lol

Those are good :D I had to scourge around to find them at the Dollar Store :) They did help me get the best bevel I could. I need to keep practicing, though

Those are good :D I had to scourge around to find them at the Dollar Store :) They did help me get the best bevel I could. I need to keep practicing, though

Yeah they're pretty good. Just I've misplaced my sharpener somewhere and cannot find it... Oh no!

View attachment 31783

Basing it on this one makes for a bit of difference from Halo 3: ODST as well because the costumes were made by Weta Workshops for Halo: Landfall as a promo for Halo 3. A few small differences are in the general chest rig, thigh plates, gauntlets and shoulders. The oddest difference I found was the swap of shoulders for the medical information tally plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back