Impossible Or Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer5k

Hello everyone,

My name is Quentin and I am trying to build halo armor using the pepakura techique and thus far, I have manage to get out all the cutting and pasting done but I only have 21 days left. Since I haven't had time to beable to work on the suit much, I have watch all the videos and tuturials on Cutting, molding, adding fiber glass. My GF is helping me some also. So I was wondering from you all that had experience, would it be possible to finish a suit before halloween.

Outside factor to consider:

I'm a full time student taking Java,Chem, Cal II, and 3 other course

Work 15 hours a week

I think I can devote 20+ man hours each weekend so that is about 60+ before halloween plus addition hands :)

All I need to know is is it possible? When there is a wil, there is a way. Is there is all hope or should I just dish out 800 of the real thing?( That would suck)

Also, is there a tutorial on the general or best way for strapping down the suit parts.

I suppose that is possible. (Depending on if the weather is warm enough where you live.)

Some pieces might not get "bondoed"; however, I think it is possible for you to finish.

Cheers!

Is it possible? Yes. Will it be intensely difficult and grueling? Yes. Just be warned, you might have to sacrifice some quality (and detail work, like SniperBaas was saying) to get it done in time. Good luck if you decide to pursue this path!

Its Possible Im rushing too and my current progress is me only having pepped my helmet and cutting out chest peicess as i type this. Thing that might cut down on alot of time is using the Rondo method where you mix bondo body filler and reson together and only apply it on the inside of the armor (no bondo on outside). Im gonna use bondo glass as i hear its basically bondo body filler with added fiberglass strands already.

Sniperbaas392 said:
I suppose that is possible. (Depending on if the weather is warm enough where you live.)

Some pieces might not get "bondoed"; however, I think it is possible for you to finish.

Cheers!

Thanks for wish opinions, you brought light into this project

Last edited by a moderator:
man its gonna be rough...You started very late, and if you could devote more time then I say yes but studies and work have a much higher priority. Good luck to you though I hope you make it!

Iam new to pepping and all but I think you can do it.

Things to help:

Friends, they don't really have to do much, but scoring and pre-cutting the parts out speeds up the time greatly. Folding properly will take a bit of trying to get down good, but it comes quick.

Do not try to work with a TV or other distractions around - even just glancing at them can take precious time away.

Order any parts you need online within the next couple of days - so they ship here on time to work with them. (visor,undersuit, gloves, belt, and suspenders mostly)

I wouldn't try to do anything fancy - like LED's or Fans or anything like that, just get a good lookin suit going. You can add that stuff later for next year.

Keep in mind fiberglass cures slower in cold weather - so you may need extra time for the fiberglass to cure properly.

Any Tacky or sticky fiberglass (but hardened) can be fixed with baby powder, but don't powder it if you plan to add bondo on top.

Don't stress out over it, have fun!

Honestly, I think the slowest part will be the pep building. You can resin multiple parts in a single run if you use multiple batches, and keep working on each part in a cycle until you need to fiberglass, and then bondo. Sure, the curing process takes 2 hours, but in the meantime you can build some more pep pieces, study, etc. Resining only takes about 5 minutes, and then frees up the next 2 hours for whatever you may need it for.

Tl;dr - Finish the pep stuff, and your work will be cut out for you.

It's probably possible but I would recommend on going with a medium definition suit. I don't think you have enough time to chew through the HD pieces.

Honestly HD isn't really worth it for my opinion - you cover up most of that with glass and mud - so you have to redetail the parts later anyway, so why not just add the heavy detail with craft foam, mud walling, or rotory tool cutting as you need on the "med def" parts, which look pretty fantastic actually even as just med def. ( I doubt anyone will come up to you and be like DUDE You lazy bum! you got med def suit on? what's the deal?! for halloween...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back