Iron Man Display Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

robo3687

Jr Member
So I've been a member here for just about a year...but have mostly lurked and not done much posting...

Around the time i joined I made 2 Iron Man helmets, one just didn't work at all and was quite bad, the second was better but after being abandoned part way through hardening it just didn't survive...lol..

Here's the old one:

beforeplastibond.jpg
afterplastibond.jpg

I do a lot of papercraft, its a big hobby of mine...and I always wanted to take an Iron Man helmet to completion, so I figured with the new movie out I'd have another go at it.

So far I have the helmet and neck seal put together. It's Mr Oreo's unfold of Dungbeetle's helmet and Dancing_Fool's Neck seal. Helmet is scaled at 26.6cm, and the neck seal is at whatever was the default...both fit quite snug, and the neck seal act's like a neck brace and showed me how bad my posture was....lol...

Here's where I'm at:

headneck.jpg

The helmet itself is split into 5 pieces (jaw, faceplate, cranium, 'earmuffs' and the little extra bit at the back) which are currently held together with masking tape.

Now at this stage I'm just looking at making a helmet for display that can still be put on if I want. I'd really like to make a full suit but just don't have the space (I'll barely have room for the helmet), at the most I'll do a torso and shoulders....

The main issue I'm facing right now is I live in Australia...and we don't have Bondo here...on my old helmet (the unfinished one) I used something called Selley's Plasti-bond which kind of worked but was a nightmare to work with. So I'm still looking into alternatives to hardening and detailling it out...

So that's my start, in the next week or so I'm going to do some experiments with different hardening solutions so we'll see how that goes.

thanks corby

since i won't be using resin or bondo i need to find alternatives for the inside and outside stuff

for my tests with the hardening stuff i'm going to pep a few handplates and use them as the test bed

I'm thinking of trying:

- masking tape + the hot glue method: tried this already but it seems to contract the model a bit

- paper mache

- straight pva glue

I would suggest a Urethane Plastic Resin and then use a sander and a dremel to do your detail. That's all I can suggest since you have no bondo.

Ithica

robo3687 said:
The main issue I'm facing right now is I live in Australia...and we don't have Bondo here...on my old helmet (the unfinished one) I used something called Selley's Plasti-bond which kind of worked but was a nightmare to work with. So I'm still looking into alternatives to hardening and detailling it out...

we sure do have bondo, its in disguise. you can buy it from just about any auto parts store, usually it will be called body filler or something similar to this. as for the resin any fiberglass resin will do. i bought a fiberglass repair kit from supercheap auto's for about $20, comes with resin, hardener, fiberglass cloth, cup, paintbrush and stirring sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah thanks FrostyTheSnowMan, i was wondering if there was anyone else from Oz on here....

i figured just any automotive body filler would do....might have a look around on the weekend to see what i can find....

robo3687 said:

So that's my start, in the next week or so I'm going to do some experiments with different hardening solutions so we'll see how that goes.

I think i have a solution for you, but it will take some working to get it right. Joint Compound. It is used for dry wall to cover up cracks and holes, but i have used it for smoothing on a piece i was making just for the release. Its not as durable as bondo, but it is a way you can smooth it.

If you harden it with a resin or something like that you might have something completely permanent. I haven't done many tests, just worked with it for smoothing, and i have done some chip tests. As long as you are not rough with it, it should hold up just fine. matter of fact if you use some epoxies or a resin coat over the paint job, i cant see this actually breaking on accident(minus a run in with a wall or similar).

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks wolfshui i'm going on a supply run this weekend i think so i'll see what i can find

so after saying i might but probably wouldn't be doing the torso, i've gone ahead and started it.....see i've put my back out so i've basically been doing all this lying down as i can't sit for overly long...

here's where i'm at:

chest01.jpg

the bit at the bottom looks flared out only because of the cushion i rested it on....it sits fine normally...

as for scale i just went with the default again and when i half tried it on it looked okay....

i'll be sure to put a pic up with it on when i get the chest finished (probably tomorrow)

thanks guys i should be able to finish the chest today and then i'll print up and start cutting out the back

when I'm not crippled I spend the majority of my time doing 3d modeling (have been doing it for 9-10 years) and once my back rights itself (whenever that will be) I was thinking I might do up a Mk VI Extremis armour model for someone to unfold....I've been gathering some ref for it...and since there aren't any files out there at the moment i figured it would be appreciated....

of course i wouldn't be building it but I'd love someone to if it ever gets done...lol

well you would have been my first choice for an unfolder anyways...lol....i'm thinking of taking inspiration from the actual physical suits that RDJ wears in the movies for the size of it (cos they were quite chunky)

so i finished pepping the chest this afternoon and tried it all on for size

chest02.jpg

a few things to note:

- helmet is bulging a bit at the sides but only because i'm in desperate need of a haircut... should be fine once its hardened and hair is shorter

- the shirt is kinda loose so its throwing the look off a little

- by the time this suit is finished i'm hoping to be around 15-20kgs(33-44lbs) lighter...lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back