Iron Man HD Helmet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

The King Cobra

Hey 405th and members! Its been quite a while. I have been working on my Iron Man since the 405th went down and its been pretty far going. I have pepped the incredible Super HD helmet by Sharkhead and by god its taken forever. But I finished late last night and now I need some help with it. My first helmet was a disaster and since I spent forever on this helmet I wanted to get it perfect. Before I even think about bondo I want to get the basics out of the way. Resin and Fiberglass. I have all 3 pieces connected by Binder clips and its very sturdy, and I need some help on how to resin it. I want this helmet to be perfect for the amount of pressure I had with it.

Heres some pictures:
AMBA0763.jpg

AMBA0764.jpg

AMBA0765.jpg

AMBA0766.jpg

AMBA0767.jpg

AMBA0769.jpg

AMBA0770.jpg

Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me out.
-The King Cobra

Thats a nice looking helm there!!! I hear you on the "trying" level of the helmet. I currently had to put mine on pause lol. Treat the next few steps of this process as tedious as you did the pep'ing and it will come out as you want it. Remember get a GOOD QUALITY body filler it makes WORLDS of differences compared to the pink HARD filler that u find so easily at WalMart. I recommend Evercoat Quantumn filler, I use it all the time in the custom stereo world & it is 1,000,000 x's easier to work with, shape, & sand than the Bondo brand filler

Thanks so much MxRacer! I am pretty proud of this helmet and I hope to make it as close to the original as possible. My last helmet was going good besides we had to rip all the pieces apart from the resin but with the binder clips in this one it should be fine. The brand of filler your talking about sounds pretty familiar but I have none of it. Only the Bondo brand filler. I'm glad you like it :D

Yeah this helmet required a -blam!- load of it. I haven't really worked on it since I printed it though its been on and off. I'm very pleased with how it came out and the pep file is extremely accurate as well. Thanks :)

Thanks so much MxRacer! I am pretty proud of this helmet and I hope to make it as close to the original as possible. My last helmet was going good besides we had to rip all the pieces apart from the resin but with the binder clips in this one it should be fine. The brand of filler your talking about sounds pretty familiar but I have none of it. Only the Bondo brand filler. I'm glad you like it :D

A small tip. if you aluminum foil on the edges you don't want to stick together, Fiberglass Resin will not stick to these areas. ;)

So check and see if you can source some Aluminum Foil tape, or simply get a roll from the store and take ur time trimming it and tape it from the inside as you use ur binder clips

So check and see if you can source some Aluminum Foil tape, or simply get a roll from the store and take ur time trimming it and tape it from the inside as you use ur binder clips

Ok, noob question.... what are binder clips and what are they're application/function?

A small tip. if you aluminum foil on the edges you don't want to stick together, Fiberglass Resin will not stick to these areas. ;)

Nice one MX I never thought of that. With my helmet I tried using clips but it just wouldn't hold it inplace well enough so I ended up superglueing the edges into place.
Then once glassed I had to dremel the heck out of it.

Ok, noob question.... what are binder clips and what are they're application/function?

binder-clip-01.jpg

Nice one MX I never thought of that. With my helmet I tried using clips but it just wouldn't hold it inplace well enough so I ended up superglueing the edges into place.
Then once glassed I had to dremel the heck out of it.

Hey no problem, just glad to lend my tips and tricks I've learned over the years doing custom Fiberglass, and Carbon interior mods for stereo's

Oh and I am in awe of your work with that helmet. The close-up photos of the detail work truly show the toil and pain you must have endured to complete it... good job!

Thanks so much for the help guys. Yeah the helmet isn't the best out there but I think its definitely one of my best peps. I'll try out the Foil Idea thanks so much! :D

binder-clip-01.jpg

Hey no problem, just glad to lend my tips and tricks I've learned over the years doing custom Fiberglass, and Carbon interior mods for stereo's

Wow, I'll be honest thats not what I was expecting the anwser to be. I truely thought it was something other then that.... I guess it is true then that most of the time the simplest tools are the best tools

Wow, I'll be honest thats not what I was expecting the anwser to be. I truely thought it was something other then that.... I guess it is true then that most of the time the simplest tools are the best tools

Haha ya someitmes we as humans tend to expect much more complicated things to do such simple little tasks!! Ha! Who said creating a costume was expensive!? LOL

Yeah those little binder clips have saved my life. lol. I saw another guy do it and it gave me the idea to try it too, and it turned out really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back