Iron Man HD Helmet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
pics?
and i have no idea wats going on with that aluminium foil thing lol

It's as simple as the idea of using resin is to "penetrate (hahah) or saturate" the paper from the outside so it will not distort or warp the pep model when slushing SmoothCast or Fiberglassing on the inside of the helm. Obsiously Resin will not soak thru the foil. So if you line the edges of the adjoining faces (i.e. the faceplate, & jaw to the main body of the helm) with foil then you will be able to have 3 easily seperable pieces once the reinforment is complete vs having to cut & dremel the pieces apart.

Here's how foil is used in the stereo world when doing a FG sub box say.....You was to make a mold for a box of a spare tire well....You put foil down & press it to the contour of the panel you want to mold off of, then you apply masking tape to hold the foil to the shape. Then you start to lay your Fiberglass Mat and Resin.....Once cured the foil will easily allow your mold to release from the "Master or Mother" it was made off of. Hope that helps a little....

@ Lunar lord. The pictures are there so I don't know what your mean

@ MxRacer476 Thanks for this more in-depth look at foil and resin! I understand how it works and my Dad said it was a great idea so were probably going to get it resined next weekend. I should tell you that my Iron Man thread is herehttp://www.405th.com/showthread.php/23428-Iron-Man-And-War-Machine-Wip? and I really need to update it. Thanks for everyones input on this Helmet and I will now update my WIP thread. Moderators you can lock this thread if you want :)

@ Lunar lord. The pictures are there so I don't know what your mean

@ MxRacer476 Thanks for this more in-depth look at foil and resin! I understand how it works and my Dad said it was a great idea so were probably going to get it resined next weekend. I should tell you that my Iron Man thread is herehttp://www.405th.com/showthread.php/23428-Iron-Man-And-War-Machine-Wip? and I really need to update it. Thanks for everyones input on this Helmet and I will now update my WIP thread. Moderators you can lock this thread if you want :)

Hey no prolem what so ever my friend send me an IM anytime I can help you I will.....

It's as simple as the idea of using resin is to "penetrate (hahah) or saturate" the paper from the outside so it will not distort or warp the pep model when slushing SmoothCast or Fiberglassing on the inside of the helm. Obsiously Resin will not soak thru the foil. So if you line the edges of the adjoining faces (i.e. the faceplate, & jaw to the main body of the helm) with foil then you will be able to have 3 easily seperable pieces once the reinforment is complete vs having to cut & dremel the pieces apart.

Here's how foil is used in the stereo world when doing a FG sub box say.....You was to make a mold for a box of a spare tire well....You put foil down & press it to the contour of the panel you want to mold off of, then you apply masking tape to hold the foil to the shape. Then you start to lay your Fiberglass Mat and Resin.....Once cured the foil will easily allow your mold to release from the "Master or Mother" it was made off of. Hope that helps a little....

But, wouldn't the resin cause the foil to stick to the cardstock and harden? Then you will have the hassle of trying to get the foil off!

I'm not sure if you want to go this route, but with my helmet I screwed up the first 3 times and the 3rd time it was because when I fiberglassed it, it drooped and went all wonky. So what I did on my 4th one (The one i'm working on now) I peped it with extreme patience and have taken my time, but I didn't go pep, resin, fiberglass, bondo, sand, paint. I went pep resin, bondo, fiberglass, sand paint. I found that the bondo reinforced it and then the fiberglass didn't warp it or make it droop or anything. Just thought that it might help you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back