Iron Man Mark 6 Helmet in 5 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCsaber987

Jr Member
There's an event this weekend that happens to involve Cosplay. I'm normally a rather unexciting outside of my group of friends, but in a helmet and costume I can really get into things, as such I need something to wear. BlackUnderdog 5 (405th name) is joining me and we both may armour up once again on the sunday if all goes to plan (I can't wear it all day so it's going to take some organising) but on the saturday I thought i need something else, hence this Iron Man helmet:
P1030274640x480.jpg
P1030276640x480.jpg
P1030278640x480-1.jpg
P1030273640x480-1.jpg

I'm working from "SharkMarks VI Helmet", modifying the file a bit to work in foam with my lower skill level. I hope to get some lights in there and ofcourse smooth it out a lot and add more details around the eyes.

If you've read this far thanks, I write to much, so here's my question. Does anyone have any neat ideas how to make the face raise and lower on the frame. I know one of timecons helmets does this as does some others. I'm thinking a few modifications to use the top groves and magnets/ elastic? Thanks for looking and 4 days to go!

Little progress day 2, out most of day.
Day 3:
Gap filler, always on EVERYTHING I makes. Adds strength, smooths and unsuprisingly fills gaps.
P1030280640x480.jpg
P1030282640x480.jpg
P1030285640x480.jpg
P1030288640x480.jpg

First attempt at the light up eyes. Originally had two LEDs on each side but even with semi-transparent 'defusing' plastic they were to obvious, so I added a third.
P1030289640x480.jpg
P1030287640x480.jpg

Each piece has three glue layers and a base/sealing coat. I also found a tutorial on the internet for a basic hinging idea I will use.

Quick images of the WIP paintjob:
P1030293640x480.jpg
P1030296640x480.jpg

Since I never got them perfectly smooth I went for a scratched two tone look with silver 'scratch' highlights. (Images don't show the colours perfectly)

Still to pad, hinge and add lights.

what are you using for gap filler? it does seem to even things out quite a bit- so far ive always just used hot glue to fill my glaring holes, but it leaves much to be desired.

what are you using for gap filler? it does seem to even things out quite a bit- so far ive always just used hot glue to fill my glaring holes, but it leaves much to be desired.

It's a product called "polyfilla", it's normally used for wood/ walls so it doesn't flex much but it attached to the foam suprisingly well and sands easily (I've also tried hot glue, u need a lot more patience then I possess).

Didn't win the cosplay with the helmet (another person made a great lightning costume complete with their own leatherwork and everything) but won the next day with my Halo Suit. Thanks for looking everyone!

Good job man! 6 days to create that! I love it!

Thanks! Kudos to the modeler shark, it's a great file to work with. I should probably mention you need to pad the back and top of the helmet to make it sit properly. I use stuffing and a soft thin foam to hold that in making it comfortable. Works on chest pieces to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back