Iron Man Mkiii Scratch Built - Xrobots Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys seam so amazed by snow ive gotten so num to it but then again you cant count on Wisconsin weather one day sunny the next day heavy snow fall. But it completely sucks for prop making because you can never count on the weather

The weathers actually great, i love the snow! i've put my work on hold too, but thats because i've been out snowboarding in it :D

that aside, what you have done so far is actually making me dribble! it is beautifully done, how are you finding the jemsonite to work with?

your method of attachng the 2 sections of the torso is genius too, i may steal that idea!

SpartanG said:
The weathers actually great, i love the snow! i've put my work on hold too, but thats because i've been out snowboarding in it :D

that aside, what you have done so far is actually making me dribble! it is beautifully done, how are you finding the jemsonite to work with?

your method of attachng the 2 sections of the torso is genius too, i may steal that idea!

That's one reason why I'm using Jesmonite in the first place - because it's non-toxic and non-flammable, so you can use it indoors. So I've been able to sculpt, mould and cast all the pices without going outside. It's pretty easy to work with - just mix the liquid and powder together, and add thixotrope to make a gel coat if you need to. It's as tough as nails when it's set, so you can get stuck into sanding and filling the item after about 24 hours. It sets within about an hour, but achieves full strength within 24-48 hours. I use standard glass fibre surface tissue and chopped strand mat with it - same as standard fibreglassing.

Check out the strength testing info, if you didn't already spot it, complete with destruction testing video:

http://www.propbuilder.co.uk/jesmonite-testing.html

Last edited by a moderator:
XRobots said:
That's one reason why I'm using Jesmonite in the first place - because it's non-toxic and non-flammable, so you can use it indoors. So I've been able to sculpt, mould and cast all the pices without going outside. It's pretty easy to work with - just mix the liquid and powder together, and add thixotrope to make a gel coat if you need to. It's as tough as nails when it's set, so you can get stuck into sanding and filling the item after about 24 hours. It sets within about an hour, but achieves full strength within 24-48 hours. I use standard glass fibre surface tissue and chopped strand mat with it - same as standard fibreglassing.

Check out the strength testing info, if you didn't already spot it, complete with destruction testing video:

http://www.propbuilder.co.uk/jesmonite-testing.html

wow, that stuff is insanely hardcore!i may have to look into using it in this weather!

SpartanG said:
wow, that stuff is insanely hardcore!i may have to look into using it in this weather!

Yep - it's certainly good enough for costume or prop building, and also pretty cheap too. Give me a shout if you want some (propbuilder.co.uk is my other website).

XRobots said:
Yep - it's certainly good enough for costume or prop building, and also pretty cheap too. Give me a shout if you want some (propbuilder.co.uk is my other website).

i might take you up on that, you should put a kit together, sort of a basic...you will need all this kind of thing!

SpartanG said:
i might take you up on that, you should put a kit together, sort of a basic...you will need all this kind of thing!

That's a good idea, although it depends what you're doing... if you prefer to use just fibreglass surface tissue or chopped strand mat as well for extra reinforcement, and whether you need the thixotrope to make a gel coat depending if you're using moulds or not. However, I'll probably put together some examples / suggestions for typical use.

On a basic level you'll need either a 1kg liquid + 3kg powder, or a 5kg liquid + 15kg powder, to make either a 4kg or 20kg kit, plus your choice of fibreglass fabric if you're planning to laminate with it - or not if you're casting something solid.

Here's the latest update on this project. After a very long time sanding and filling (and they still aren't perfect), I've sorted out the legs which were previously pictured as raw casts:

Primer going on:

leg16.jpg

And the paint... I still have to lacquer the thighs so there will be some more pictures coming of all the pieces together etc:

leg17.jpg

...all the pieces are made of Jesmonite and standard glass fibre mat & surface tissue, which is now my permanent plan for the remaining pieces. Don't forget this month's 50%-off Jesmonite offer if you fancy trying it: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16699

I made up this strapping system to support the legs and also to attach lower torso/pelvis parts to:

straps01.jpg

Here's the pelvis in progress... I made this from thick card and it'll be reinforced with Jesmonite/fibreglass mat - it was the easiest way to make it and check it fits both me and the other pieces as I was going:

pelvis01.jpg

More coming soon...

This is all amazing! Shame that you're having horrid weather. Lucky I'm in a nice warm area in the 70's (F) just about every day.

Thanks, I'm using Halfords (UK company) Ford Jupiter Metallic Red and Ford Metallic Solar Gold... then just standard auto clear lacquer.

Razion Hellgate said:
When you put the lights in the eyes, did you illuminate the whole inside of your helmit, and if so does that make it hard to see?

Here's the eye illuminator:

IronHelmet34.jpg

IronHelmet33.jpg

...you can see ok if it's light outside, but if it's dark outside it gets a little harder - it's a bit like looking through a net curtain with a flashlight pointing at it.

Razion Hellgate said:
Haha what is that thing from? Have you thought about any other ways to illuminate the eyes?

I made that from a piece of clear acrylic that I heated in the oven and bent over a wooden plug, some silver 'one way' mirror window tint, some fabric from the veil of a brides dress, and some strips of white plastic layered up with white LEDs glued inbetween the strips.

...Haven't really given it much thought since then, it's the only way to see out and have it light up I can think of - without leaving a tiny gap to see through etc.

Just a brief update of the pieces so far:

finishedparts06.jpg

I've attached the legs to the strapping system I pictured previously so they can be worn - I can walk in them and even go up stairs ;-)

leg18.jpg

Hey keep us updated :) im gonna be starting my from scratch sculpt really soon, in order to have it done for ironman 2 next year. I need a few ideas on things too so keep it goin, lookin great :)

Looking really good! Sounds like the mobility is excellent if you can go up stairs. I have a question, how is the calf attached to the thigh? It looks like there's some kind of attachment in the second picture the way the calf is hanging from the thigh, but I don't see any visible joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back