Iron Man Mkiii Scratch Built - Xrobots Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dancin_Fool said:
Looking really good! Sounds like the mobility is excellent if you can go up stairs. I have a question, how is the calf attached to the thigh? It looks like there's some kind of attachment in the second picture the way the calf is hanging from the thigh, but I don't see any visible joints.
Yeah there doesn't seem to be a physical joint. then again the real Iron Man doesnt either, the calf/thigh is connected by metal struts between them. I'd imagine they are the same sort of straps as the picture higher up on the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
sharkhead7854 said:
Yeah there doesn't seem to be a physical joint. then again the real Iron Man doesnt either, the calf/thigh is connected by metal struts between them. I'd imagine they are the same sort of straps as the picture higher up on the page.

Yes, the lower leg is held on with a webbing strap either side. They are attached to the upper leg with press studs ('poppers') so you can remove them for storage and transport without having the whole leg in one piece.

All the straps are hot-glued to the inside of the pieces and then a piece of maplex board is glued on top of that. The press studs are also attached to maplex board which is also hot glued on. Hot glue sticks very well to the 'rough side' of the fibreglass pieces - it seems to stick very well to Jesmonite which is what all the pieces are made of.

Here's the info on Maplex board: http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1422

...basically it's a very strong but also flexible woven wood material that you can cut with tin-snips or a knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back