Iron Man Suit _ Wants To Build The Real Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

david 12

Hey ,

After finishing my first steel helmet i came to thinking of building the whole thing out of steel. Its very basic of you use 2d images to convert a 3d piece and thats how i achieved my helmet.

What im looking for is a picture of the whole suit broken up into 2d images then all i need to do is the following

1- Trace the template onto steel

2- Cut the steel

3- Bend the steel on the anvil

4- Weld the peices

5- Grind and polish the surface

6 - Paint

If any one would like to help in finding or drawing this stuff my email is superman_krypton@hotmail.com

As an example http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/Spide...un/DSC01778.jpg

Cheers David

If you want I can give you a link to the tutorial of this effect, I did this in after effects in about 2 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
UNSC_Leatherneck said:
Might I recommend using aluminum. It's 1/3 lighter than steel, easier to work, and more than strong enough for your needs.

I second using aluminum, would be way lighter.

I also third on that aluminum theory it is lighter I have tried making Mark V armour with it but only got the forearms and hand plates done but it was noticeable light.

Just cam e to thinking how well does welding work with aluminium?

is it strong enough not to burn through or is it to do with thickness?

Frommi_David said:
Thank-You So Much This great help !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Appreciated Guys !!!!

No problem! always glad to help

Frommi_David said:
Just cam e to thinking how well does welding work with aluminium?

is it strong enough not to burn through or is it to do with thickness?

I think you need either a low temp flame welder (Oxy-Acetyline) or a low voltage electric welder (TIG, MIG, or Arc).

Dont quote me on it lol. Iam not really a metal worker....I did take a welding class in high school tho lol.

I weld for a living and aluminum can be difficult to weld you need to get some 2% tugnsten, put your welder on ac current and use trial and error on finding the right amperage to set your welder, everyone has different setting just depends on how you work the tig peddel. the amperage should be set pretty high though to start probley around 130-140

SPARTAN1803 said:
I weld for a living and aluminum can be difficult to weld you need to get some 2% tugnsten, put your welder on ac current and use trial and error on finding the right amperage to set your welder, everyone has different setting just depends on how you work the tig peddel. the amperage should be set pretty high though to start probley around 130-140

And most likely a gas tank connected to the mig as well?
Aluminum isn't easy to weld. Sheet metal would be the easiest just by spot welding, like auto body welds. You just need to do it a little different if you don't have a spot welder.

CPU64 said:
And most likely a gas tank connected to the mig as well?
Aluminum isn't easy to weld. Sheet metal would be the easiest just by spot welding, like auto body welds. You just need to do it a little different if you don't have a spot welder.

well i've never mig welded aluminum. i mainly tig stainless steel and mild steel but i learnt how to weld aluminum in a 2 year vocational class. if i were the one making a metal suit of armor i would go with aluminum. spot welds wont cover the seems of the metal.

SPARTAN1803 said:
well i've never mig welded aluminum. i mainly tig stainless steel and mild steel but i learnt how to weld aluminum in a 2 year vocational class

Yeah, from what I know, aluminum welding requires 100% argon shielding gas. And aluminum wire.

CPU64 said:
Yeah, from what I know, aluminum welding requires 100% argon shielding gas. And aluminum wire.

yeah i would go with the mig welder then it will be alot faster then feeding in the aluminum rod by hand

Aluminum will be lighter by far and easier to work if you anneal it. With a oxy/acet torch set to where its producing a large orange flame with a little oxogen to keep the smoke down that will put the flame temp just under the melting point of the aluminum. I usually hang my material by heavy wire in a warm windless area and start by heating the entire peice to where it just starts to flex, then remove the heat and let it cool down slowly this will soften the metal to where you can almost shape it by hand. Once you get the shape you want repeat the heating process but this time have a bucket of room temp water ready to quench it in as soon as you remove the heat. This process will bring the strength back to the metal or temper it and increase its hardness. As far as welding a mig with a shield gas setup is the cheapest way it may not be the prettiest weld but tig setups start around the cost of a full cast suit.

Thanks Guys for the welding advice !!! i checked out the pepakura software and its broken up in little bits and peices is there a way to just flatten out a particular a peice of the armour ?

You'd honestly prob be better off going piece by piece unless you use a low def model, I would assume so anyway.

You can weld aluminum with arc/mig/tig just depends how good you are.

I built an iron man helmet from a pep, I found in the forums, and both models of the pep are very sketchy, I am waiting for a hd or better layed out pep before I start another one.

I would also like to bring up, if you use aluminum do NOT use steel anything with it as it will basically eat the aluminum... aluminum armor gets aluminum bolts and aluminum rivets. steel armor gets steel bolts and steel rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back