Ironman arm armor question for anyone that's worn IM armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiefilmgeek

Question for all of you that have built (or more importantly WORN) Ironman armor....

As I am working on my 5yr old's Ironman Halloween costume, I've come to the arm armor. This is a fairly large (multi-piece) pep file, and I'm hoping I can figure out if I have the right scale by just building the wrist part (prior to constructing the WHOLE arm).

So, I have it constructed and here's a picture of it on Mikey's wrist...

5712925462_7116f94530.jpg

Problem is... I've never worn IM armor (or seen anyone in person wearing it)... so I don't know if this size is about right for the wrist (and therefore the whole arm unit).

So, in your experience is this about the right size for his wrist? Any smaller and it will be a very tight squeeze to get his hand through this piece, but there still seems to be a little room all the way around his wrist...

If any of you that have worn IM armor can chime in and let me know if this fit is common among the armor you've built (or worn), it would give me a good idea if I should continue to construct the rest of the pep at this scale.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. :)

it's too wide. Probably have to go another 10%. You can also cut it lengthwise after you fiberglass it, and hot glue an elastic on the inside so he can get his arm in.

You can also cut it lengthwise after you fiberglass it, and hot glue an elastic on the inside so he can get his arm in.

Is that how most of the wrist armor works? If scaled correctly, the wrist should be a bit too tight to fit without a seam?

Thanks for input! :)

So, after finishing up the full pep for the arm (mostly for reference), I found it was (obviously) too big for Mikey, but JUST RIGHT for my 9 yr old daughter. Here arm is 18" and Mikey's is 14", so after some math and two more pep wrist builds, I went with nearly a 14% reduction in size.

Now, I think it's too small - but VERY close.

5724316372_bf29279b60.jpg

5724313628_7c742de4ac.jpg

Anyone have any good reference for how the forearm, elbow, bicep and shoulder unit all connect? I've done some searches, but haven't found anything that shows the connection very well.

Thanks!

Mine seemed to be the right fit when I had to squeeze my hand through the hole. Actually, I had to trim the hole a little larger after fiberglassing. The wrist piece slides into the forearm, so you have a little bit of "fudge factor" on the length.

Hpim2475.jpg

Here is a photo of how I pinned my pieces together.

HPIM2509.jpg

Hope this helps

Here is a photo of how I pinned my pieces together.
HPIM2509.jpg

Hope this helps

That's AWESOME! I absolutely KNOW I saw this pic in your build thread (which I read thoroughly), but I couldn't seem to find it via searching the forum specifically for 'arm connection' and similar words.

The elbow connected separately to the forearm and bicep is perfectly shown in your pics! That's gonna be my bible on this piece - thanks!

Now... If I can ask one more noob question - How did you connect the shoulder pieces? Do they connect to each other? The bicep? The chest? I was sorta freaked out when I realized during pepping that they were actually two separate pieces (I always assumed they were one piece! :p

Thanks, again, MightyJohn. You're work is inspirational and I encourage ANYONE that hasn't seen it, to check it out - simply awesome! :)

Jon

what kind of screws you need to make the arm move and how many do i need?

From the pic (and the supplied package of parts), John provided it appears he's using 3/16" dia binding post/screws (two for each elbow piece at 1/4" length and two for each forearm piece at 1/2" length). That would be 4 total of each binding post/screw at 1/4" and 1/2" (since you need two each per arm). You should be able to find these in any serious hardware store in your town.

It also looks like John's solution to hide the hinges was to fiberglass the binding post to the inside of both the elbow and forearm pieces. That's an excellent idea, since many bolting solutions would involve nasty holes and involve trying to hide ugly screwheads or nuts on the OUTSIDE of the armor... NOT something you want.

Most important in this pic is the oval shaped slot on the elbow piece that will connect and move along the 1/2" posts inside the forearm. That's a slick way of allowing some flexible movement in at least a couple directions - which should do a lot to reduce arm movement that might bind a simple two point hinge.

Again, I'm just very impressed... and lucky to have John and some of these expert builders to consult. It's made my kid scale armor project SO much easier!

Thanks to all of you that have commented, messaged and emailed me with assistance - you all rock! :)

Jon

Thanks, again, MightyJohn. You're work is inspirational and I encourage ANYONE that hasn't seen it, to check it out - simply awesome! :)
Jon

Thk, indiefilmgeek. I really appreciate the compliment!!

hide the hinges was to fiberglass
Jon

Actually, 5 minute, 2 part epoxy LOVES fiberglass. No need to fiberglass them in.

you forgot to add: the placement of the 1/2" binding post placed so the oval hole will never show :)

I think the Thread you refering to are on Robos thread. I don't have my own thread. I've been posting all my progress throughout his thread. The post you are refering to is on page 76, post #1880. It shows how I connected all my upper body parts. Here is the link...

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687s...ar-machine-links-page-73-a-88147/index76.html

slawrence: I think reading the post above will help you.

I'm always floating around therpf and 405th. Let me know if you need anything. I'm always here to help.

I think the Thread you refering to are on Robos thread. I don't have my own thread. I've been posting all my progress throughout his thread. The post you are refering to is on page 76, post #1880. It shows how I connected all my upper body parts. Here is the link...

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687s...ar-machine-links-page-73-a-88147/index76.html

...and THAT'S why I couldn't locate it! I did SO much reading here and over at RPF (not to mention hours of watching youtube video tuts) before starting my own project, it just becomes hard to figure out WHERE I read specific info. Thanks for the help - and tip regarding epoxy (much easier).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back