Is it better to make a suit of armour then buy one in terms of value

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a girl that like to make armor. I finished 2 suits and each of the suit cost around 120 dollars to make. So there is nothing wrong for you to start making one set of armor for yourself and you can start with cardboard or craft foam as an alternative material.

Depends on which method you go with. If its PEP then resin and fiberglass around $50 including bondo and paint otherwise like me casting around $250. If its your first id go with PEP first. Just be really slow and take your time. Itll turn out better

Good so not really expensive I was thinking of pepping the Mark V helmet (reach version) and commando (carters helmet) but I havent particularly got a definete yes yet so hopefully I get the go ahead and there will be a new WIP with those two helmets probably just pepping though for the start and maybe a while after I can actually make them fully wish me luck!!!

Depends on which method you go with. If its PEP then resin and fiberglass around $50 including bondo and paint otherwise like me casting around $250. If its your first id go with PEP first. Just be really slow and take your time. Itll turn out better

For the benefit of all could you list the products and prices breakdown.

I got a quote of some basic materials from a local dealer (kirkside in WA)
-Wacker 4503 , casting resin, cost of about $68 for 1kg (they advised this would be enough for a mold not requiring heavy use)
-4PU, 4 min poly urethane , about $36 for 1Lt

other products needed to complete the cast (fibreglass for mothermold) etc can be obtained from normal outlets. The above from Kirkside was what they advised would be suitable for a single cast for the project I was working on (I explained to them my research and desired results)

Hope this is helpful for any Aussies, in particular the WA guys.

I made a master chief helmet like 2 years ago from halo 3. I pepped it and i kinda rushed it. I resined it on the outside and inside but didnt fibreglass it. Its strong but its a little flexy like those masks you get in the party isle at the supermarket. You can do that (cheaper still)

I love making armor and I feel a sense of accomplishment once the whole build is finished. Plus when it comes to making your own armor you have complete control over the project. Plus it will fit to your body. The only downside I see for myself is that I like making the small odds and ends of props and I also have multiple projects going on at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back