Jaku's Venator, Marine, and Misc builds

Terric

Jr Member
This is a build log not a place to post first pep or foam builds
Also I'm on vacation so don't expect updates for the next two weeks
Sorry about that. But that is my current build in progress. not done yet . Still somewhat new to the page.
 

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Finally I have found a bit more time to work on this project. I got the front of the gun done, now all that's left is barrels and painting.View attachment 252099 View attachment 252100 View attachment 252101 View attachment 252102 View attachment 252103
Any color/pattern ideas?
You should add some greeblies or panel lines, just something to break up the large flat area to help make it "pop". Adding height variations to the surface is what gives it that real world object look to it and can make or break any prop. Take a look at some Star Wars blasters or the Halo 4 weapons, there's some awesome examples of goofy sci-fi guns there that make excellent use of section breaks and random bolts/screws and widgets to make things look real.
 

Lieutenant Jaku

Well-Known Member
You should add some greeblies or panel lines, just something to break up the large flat area to help make it "pop". Adding height variations to the surface is what gives it that real world object look to it and can make or break any prop. Take a look at some Star Wars blasters or the Halo 4 weapons, there's some awesome examples of goofy sci-fi guns there that make excellent use of section breaks and random bolts/screws and widgets to make things look real.
Yeah it does feel a bit empty I will probably put a shape like a smaller version of the front on, and then put some screw heads in it.
I also realized that I forgot the trigger and guard.
 

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Added more details probably too much
View attachment 252128 View attachment 252129 View attachment 252130
Any tips for cutting holes for the barrels?( Or paint ideas)
The details look awesome dude. I don't think you went overboard at all, there's still plenty of open space and a good mix of greeblies, well done.

For barrels I've learned the hard way from doing my Fuel Rod Cannon that it's infinitely easier to either cut a channel for the barrel than adding it after. If you have a foam build having a barrel that runs the length of the prop body to add support, that's a bonus that can't be beat. If you use a harder medium such as wood, cutting out a channel beforehand will save you time and frustration of drilling out and keeping everything aligned. The Fuel Rod Cannon a year down the road is starting to show my mistake with the barrel coming loose and the adhesive mix I poured in to keep everything in place clearly ate away at something inside. This is more a warning for your next build honestly.

For the current build since you can't really split things open, I'd make sure that the barrel is less than half the total width of the prop, drill a pilot hole with a standard drill bit and then work up to a spade bit or hole cutting saw. Make sure you get at least half an inch to an inch deep so that the sidewalls can support the barrel and reduce the chance that it warps out of line over time.
 

SI3RRA 117

Well-Known Member
Looking good. You probably want to seal your foam one way or another. Plasti-dip is a popular method of doing this.
 

Lieutenant Jaku

Well-Known Member
The details look awesome dude. I don't think you went overboard at all, there's still plenty of open space and a good mix of greeblies, well done.

For barrels I've learned the hard way from doing my Fuel Rod Cannon that it's infinitely easier to either cut a channel for the barrel than adding it after. If you have a foam build having a barrel that runs the length of the prop body to add support, that's a bonus that can't be beat. If you use a harder medium such as wood, cutting out a channel beforehand will save you time and frustration of drilling out and keeping everything aligned. The Fuel Rod Cannon a year down the road is starting to show my mistake with the barrel coming loose and the adhesive mix I poured in to keep everything in place clearly ate away at something inside. This is more a warning for your next build honestly.

For the current build since you can't really split things open, I'd make sure that the barrel is less than half the total width of the prop, drill a pilot hole with a standard drill bit and then work up to a spade bit or hole cutting saw. Make sure you get at least half an inch to an inch deep so that the sidewalls can support the barrel and reduce the chance that it warps out of line over time.
Thanks I have a spade bit so I'll try that hopefully my barrels aren't too wide
Looking good. You probably want to seal your foam one way or another. Plasti-dip is a popular method of doing this.
Yup I have plastidip but I'm not quite ready to seal it yet I will seal it once the barrels are in and the gaps are filled
 

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Top