JFO Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMAW09

I haven't taken many WIP pictures of the JFO helmet but it is pretty straitforward. I have the base layer of bondo sanded. Next I will finish up the detail bondo and add the visor. I think for the visor I will be using an acrylic sheet and score it so I can bend it. I haven't decided on any specific color scheme yet.

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

Looks good if slightly warped. I look forward to seeing more. Maybe you should go a cherry red?

I actually haven't finished sanding the bondo down all the way on that side, so it is a little peaked on the left.
Ah ok. That makes good sense to me now. Keep up the good work and most importantly, keep us posted!

I added a little more bondo and sanded with a 120 grit. Tomorrow I hope to get it in primer and pick up some acrylic for the visor. The visor should be fairly easy since it is basically three flat pieces. I should be able to score them with the dremel and bend them to fit.

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

Cut some details into the helmet and added the base silver coat. I cut a visor out of acryllic but I really didn't like how it was flat instead of rounded so I am going to use a motorcycle visor. I hope to add pictures of the helmet after I finish painting tomorrow.

IMG_20110825_103732.jpg

IMG_20110825_103739.jpg

IMG_20110825_103745.jpg

Cut some details into the helmet and added the base silver coat. I cut a visor out of acryllic but I really didn't like how it was flat instead of rounded so I am going to use a motorcycle visor. I hope to add pictures of the helmet after I finish painting tomorrow.

IMG_20110825_103732.jpg

I see a bit of paint run here by the cheek but other than that it looks great! JFO is my favorite Reach Helmet so I'll be following this pretty close. Keep up the great work!

I actually used the buffer pad from the dremel and removed that. Helmet is all painted. I am waiting for the plumbers putty to cure so I can mount the visor. The bad part about this helmet is that it requires such a long visor. Most new motorcycle visors are low profile (small up/down length) so I had to go with what the had in stock. I wanted a mirrored silver one but settled for a standard black tint. It is still very see through so I might think about applying more tint to it.

Ah ok, I've been building model rockets for a long time so I'm really picky when it comes to paint jobs. Yeah, it does require a pretty long visor, are you going to do the double visor for the detail? You could also use car tint film for extra tint if you decide to add extra tint, actually you could probably get mirrored silver film too. Can't wait to see more pics of the painted thing!

I have the visor mounted in place. I filled in the gaps with some expanding foam after I mounted it. I have always filled in the gaps with plumbers putty but with this helmet, the gap was too large so I decided to use foam and I will try either regular bondo or spot filler to smooth it out. After that I need to etch the visor, add padding/lights and make a neck seal.

I also added a lot of night shade spray tint to black out the visor. I can still see out of it very well. I sprayed the inside of the visor so when I dremel in details, I wont take off the tint. I tested it on clear plexiglass and it seems like it would peel off very easy for all those interested.

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

DSC01999.jpg

are these pictures with the details etched in the visor and the gap filled? because it looks still kinda not....finished

Should have specified...I did all that after I took the pictures. It has globs of foam sticking out that I haven't trimmed yet.

Looking good man! I really like the black visor with your paint scheme. Can't wait to see it with the details etched :D maybe also do a black wash on it? Where did you get that visor and how much did it cost? I've been shopping around for mine since I plan on doing a double visor for the detail and I can only find ones like this, which doesn't look like it's very gold or ones like this, which cost an arm and a leg. Again, great job on the Helmet!

Looking good man! I really like the black visor with your paint scheme. Can't wait to see it with the details etched :D maybe also do a black wash on it? Where did you get that visor and how much did it cost? I've been shopping around for mine since I plan on doing a double visor for the detail and I can only find ones like this, which doesn't look like it's very gold or ones like this, which cost an arm and a leg. Again, great job on the Helmet!

The best and cheapeast way to go is to find a local motorcycle shop and check out clearance visors. Amazon is the next best place.

Alright, thanks. There's a couple of those on my way home from college. Anyways, can't wait to see how your etching turns out!

Alright, thanks. There's a couple of those on my way home from college. Anyways, can't wait to see how your etching turns out!

What college do you go to? I'm a grad student as Kansas State hence all the purple.

Update: So the expanding foam didn't work out like I wanted it to. First you will see that I used way to much and it somehow got underneath the nightshade and bubbled it up. I was able to peel it up and have reapplied it. Also I tried cutting the excess foam and applying some spot filler to smooth it out. Found out the spot filler eats foam. I should have known that.

So back to the original idea, I just filled in the seams with plumbers expoxy and will use spot filler to smooth it out. Hopefully this evening I can apply the tape for etching and start smoothing out the seams. Since the helmet is so dark and the nightshade is applied from the inside, I am worried about being able to see the etching at all. I might try etching if and spraying some silver into the lines to make it stand out a bit. Stay tuned...

IMG_20110830_075016.jpg

IMG_20110830_075023.jpg

IMG_20110830_085856.jpg

IMG_20110830_085912.jpg

What college do you go to? I'm a grad student as Kansas State hence all the purple.

I'm going to Northern Kentucky University, didn't wanna go too far away from home because I'm not a fan of sharing a shower lol. Too bad your foam didnt work. I use that same method with the epoxy putty for fillets on rocket fins, works great. If anything you can etch the lines and then trace them with a silver Sharpie, but if you have an airbrush I would definitely spray it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back