Jonny - Iron Man Helmet Complete - Now With Illuminated Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Jr Member
So I finally finished the Iron Man helmet I was working on last week.

The faceplate is currently held in place by magnets, but I'd like to hinge it. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere in the UK that sells the curved lid supports required. If anyone knows where I can get them then please let me know.

4125783573_596503cf34_b.jpg

4125781377_6efc72f9f6_b.jpg

4125790121_dc22dea512_b.jpg

EDIT: 29th Jan 2010

So I've now installed illuminated eyes, using an EL sheet, inverter and few bits and pieces.

Jonny_IlluminatedEyes.jpg

Ghost147 said:
WOW! very nice job! and great pictures too! was that from a pep file?

Hey Ghost

I've followed the progress on this for a while from when it was in the ultimate Iron man thread. He used Sharkhead's pep file but he did A LOT of work himself on it.

It's take quite the skilled hand to add all that detail using that helmet file. Major Major MAJOR props on that job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great comments lads.

I'm definitely going to be molding this one, but I need to wait another week or two for the laquer to fully harden.

Demolition said:
very very nice mate i know B&Q do gas powered lifts for kitchen cupboard doors wonder if these can be used some how

The problem is that they need to be curved so that the face plate can sit further on top of the helmet, otherwise it won't go up far enough.

I wonder is I could make one, anyone got any ideas?

Strankyman said:
bend some straight ones? Or would that stop it functioning?

Stranky

I haven't seen any that could be bent, I've only seen the piston type ones here in the UK.

I thought I'd post the latest happenings with my Iron Man helmet.

I've been experimenting with different casting compounds to find the best fit.

Below is a picture showing the two I've tried.

The right casting is made using Jesmonite, a 2 part mineral and epoxy casting compound. I tried this casting first and I thought it would work, but Jesmonite is too heavy. This casting is a good 2kg +, way too heavy for wearing.

The casting on the left is a casting made using Polyurethane resin. I made it using 3 layers of resin, the initial plain coat, followed by two filled coats. The filled coats are made using the Polyurethane resin and Fillite filler. Fillite is used to bulk up the load so it comes out thicker. It's also light weight. It makes things nice and cost effective. This casting weighs about 900grams.

[attachment=14511:Castings.jpg]

I saw this post at work today but didn't have the time to comment. Ive got to agree, that is some awesome work mate!!, nice looking production line too.:)

Care to share your paint choices?.

I've just updated my original post to include a new picture with illuminated eyes.

I used an EL sheet, cut up and wired to an inverter and power source.

The EL sheet didn't have any solder points so I ended up using staples on the sheet and then soldering onto that.

Worked out perfectly, check out the picture.

It looks a bit blue around the outside, but it's pure which light in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back