Just starting out and wondering what would be a good beginner build to familiarise myself with the craft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoHombre

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm looking to get into this hobby and am wondering where to start.
I have past experience working with EVA foam but it was a while ago, so I'm at a near beginner level. I also have experience with scale model making which shares some common elements with this hobby but not too many.

I was just wondering what a good simple build could be to do so I could gain experience making cosplay and work up to something convention worthy

The Halo 3 style Mk VI has a ton of templates out there, same with the Reach MK VB. I'd just try some kind of helmet first, because it can stand on its own as a project, and you'll get a hang of the geometry side of things. Something like a battle rifle would be a lot simpler, but eventually you'll have to deal with making 2D foam sheets into 3D shapes if you want to eventually do a suit.

The Halo 3 style Mk VI has a ton of templates out there, same with the Reach MK VB. I'd just try some kind of helmet first, because it can stand on its own as a project, and you'll get a hang of the geometry side of things. Something like a battle rifle would be a lot simpler, but eventually you'll have to deal with making 2D foam sheets into 3D shapes if you want to eventually do a suit.
I'll have a look into those, thanks!

The original Halo CE armor is very low poly/detail, so it's assembly in either Pep or Foam is very straight forward with large easy to connect pieces.

Additionally we have "low Def" versions of the Halo 3 Mark VI which are easy beginner pieces to practice on:

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm looking to get into this hobby and am wondering where to start.
I have past experience working with EVA foam but it was a while ago, so I'm at a near beginner level. I also have experience with scale model making which shares some common elements with this hobby but not too many.

I was just wondering what a good simple build could be to do so I could gain experience making cosplay and work up to something convention worthy
I would suggest Andrew dft on YouTube. He has an ODST 10 EP. Diy series, along with free templates for all of it. It is for beginners, so don't expect to make it perfectly the first time. I have remade some of my pieces 2 or 3 times.

Hi all,

i would recomend seeing the welcome booklet so you can learn more around here 405th Welcome Booklet if you need anything else the 405th is here to help have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back