Just Want To Ask If It's Possible / Worth It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymutt

Ok, yes I'm a noob, obviously I can't post in the forum dedicated to the specific target of my question ( a tad frustrating, BTW, but I think I understand the reasons behind it)

Anyway, It's less than 17 days till the big H'ween party that my friend throws every year since he was married on H'ween. Is it at all within the realm of possibilities that I can construct a set of pep mjolnir? I most likely won't be able to use fiberglass and/or resin, but was planning on the hot-glue method for interior reinforcement and was going to ask questions regarding exterior finishing methods that are simpler than resining (perhaps spackle paste?)

I've already bought some cardstock and hot glue, but the first time I tried to print, my whole computer crashed and I had to reconstruct from a backup hard drive. This second time, after refilling an ink tank, I dropped it down the stairs and it's too damaged to use. So, to help belay my frustration at whomever in the hereafter is screwing with me on this project, I come to the experts... Can I even do this or am I wasting my time? thanks in advance,

-Mutt

Ok here it is short and sweet.

Yes.

You just need the determination to do it! You definatly wont be able to do resin and the deal, but even if you did spackle, you would need resin first...

It is possible if you have a LOT of spare time on your hands. Some low res models would actually go pretty quick. But, if you don't have a TON of time, don't even bother. Just do what I'm doing and plan on having it for halo-ween 2009.

Resin and fiberglassing doesn't take a lot of time to do. Smoothing would be the hard part.

I and welcome. I highly doubt you will be able to make a full suit by haloween. This stuff takes a long time and as a noob you have to get used to it. If you just wanted to pep it then you may be able to get a decent bit done but unless you have a lot of free time (that means no job, school, or other things) you wont be able to finish it. To use the hotglue method would make it faster but still. I would recommend that you make a good helmet using the normal process (fiberglass and bondo) and just wearing that to the party you can do a whole suit for next year or by the time halo wars comes out but not in two weeks. Just my advice but if you want to try go ahead but you may have to pull a few all nighters.

well i was able to pep the stuff i have in a total of 17 days with 5hr work periods. so with low res models is possible but, maybe not a whole suit. my suggestion is to make a helmet and get the MC tuxedo shirt. ;)

Farris said:
It is possible if you have a LOT of spare time on your hands. Some low res models would actually go pretty quick. But, if you don't have a TON of time, don't even bother. Just do what I'm doing and plan on having it for halo-ween 2009.

Resin and fiberglassing doesn't take a lot of time to do. Smoothing would be the hard part.

A ton of time, no, but at least 2 hours/weekday and 4 full weekend days available. It's not the time that's making me rule-out fiberglassing, but the capability. I just haven't got a place where I can work with those materials safely, not to mention the complete lack of experience/skill with fiberglass. Money is also a minor factor since I just had to dump close to 700 into parts for a new PC. So the less I spend the better.

The costume doesn't have to be ultra durable, just look decent and survive a really good party. I'm not looking to go 'trooping' or have this be a permanent costume for Cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skymutt said:
A ton of time, no, but at least 2 hours/weekday and 4 full weekend days available. It's not the time that's making me rule-out fiberglassing, but the capability. I just haven't got a place where I can work with those materials safely, not to mention the complete lack of experience/skill with fiberglass. Money is also a minor factor since I just had to dump close to 700 into parts for a new PC. So the less I spend the better.

The costume doesn't have to be ultra durable, just look decent and survive a really good party. I'm not looking to go 'trooping' or have this be a permanent costume for Cons.
I think the idea of doing just the helmet is good. Just do a helmet and where like a Hawaiian shirt and say your MC on vacation

Last edited by a moderator:
You can build a full pep suit, though I suggest making the Low Def models. As for reinforcement... I think resin is your best bet... jus tlike 2 or 3 coats of it will do the job for short term wearability and strength (you may have a bit-o-trouble with the boots though :/). All you need is 2 days to do the resining (for the entire suit). As long as you have gloves, respirator, and a workplace outside, your good to go.

And I suggest you start building (looks at bare wrist)...... now!

Welcome to the 405th too :]

skip on the boots and groin peice

only fiberglass it and skip out on the bondo or maybe do very little detiling and YES you can do it if you pull a few allnighters and enlist some help

remember SAFETY FIRST
wear your respirators and safety goggles

can be if you get help and are very determined :D :D good luck and card stock is some what strong if after you paint it you polyurethen stuff on it

It is within the realm of possibility, but you'd be hard pressed to get it done, and you will not get great results.

Expect to pull a few all nighters if you really want that to happen.

Having just done this myself for the first time, and n00bing it up quite nicely, I would say this.

Doable, but so so hard. It will take in my opinion, for any first time. Around 20-25 hours to do the helmet (Sizing, cutting out ALL the little parts, folding them correctly, and then gluing (Burning yourself) and making the pieces clean) I couldn't even guess on the rest.

Hey, you could always do what I am going to do though. . .Mix 300 and halo. One spartan helmet, and one spartan speedo leather thingy and a cape ;) why pick one when you can have both?

20 hours to assmeble the helmet?

damn son....

anyway. use tape, and resin. but dont let anyoen touch you.

as for the armor, unless you have no job, homework or life in general. SURE!

I think I'll do just the helmet, as several people recommended. I also kinda like your idea, Misterchief, about being on vacation. I could even combine the tux shirt with a hawaiian! I might try to make one or two other smaller pieces depending on how the helm goes. Thanks a million for the advice folks.

I'm now starting the helmet, and have a question. If I'm just going to use a motorcycle visor or something, do I have to cut/fold.etc the paper visor parts? Or should i pep the entire thing for structural reasons and then cut the visor out last?

What you could do (Which is what I did for one of my spirit days during spirit week in school) I wore my red helmet. Then I wore Red Sweatpants, Sweatshirt and Red gloves.
Of course it'd be what ever color you wanted it to be... :p

I did it on account of not having the other stuff done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back