L3G3ND4RYxH4L0xFR34K's first custom Recon ODST and weapon props UBER HEAVY PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The duct tape kind of ruins the finish. Also, the back of the helmet is warped. You seem to be rushing your build. The sword is looking very awesome, though the flash photo is hiding the white detailing a bit.

The duct tape kind of ruins the finish. Also, the back of the helmet is warped. You seem to be rushing your build. The sword is looking very awesome, though the flash photo is hiding the white detailing a bit.

I had to duct tape the handle ($3 toy from walmart, sort of falling apart). There was a minor problem with the back, but it is fine. Thanks for looking at my stuff and commenting!

And btw, how much resin is reccomended for the helmet, shoulders, chest, 2 side pieces, and center piece? Does that also depend on how much i want to use? As a first timer, what do you suggest for me?

resin varies by size and person. If you're new to resin I would get a small starter kit to try it out first. start with a small piece like arm or shoulder then work your way to the helmet because you don't want to mess that up since its the essential piece to your armor. Walmart has a good price on resin in their automotive body work section.

resin varies by size and person. If you're new to resin I would get a small starter kit to try it out first. start with a small piece like arm or shoulder then work your way to the helmet because you don't want to mess that up since its the essential piece to your armor. Walmart has a good price on resin in their automotive body work section.

Thanks dude. love the profile pic. i was wondering, my fiberglassed piece is soggy after 3 hours. what do i dooo?

Thanks dude. love the profile pic. i was wondering, my fiberglassed piece is soggy after 3 hours. what do i dooo?

After 3 hours it should be starting to form up to be a bit solid, at the least. If it isn't hard then it either wasn't warm enough where you did it, or you didn't add enough catalyst.
As for soggy, if the resin is wetting the paper and making it mushy there really isn't a whole lot you can do. I'd try applying a light batch of resin with a lot of extra hardener in it to try to even out the resin/hardener ratio.

After 3 hours it should be starting to form up to be a bit solid, at the least. If it isn't hard then it either wasn't warm enough where you did it, or you didn't add enough catalyst.
As for soggy, if the resin is wetting the paper and making it mushy there really isn't a whole lot you can do. I'd try applying a light batch of resin with a lot of extra hardener in it to try to even out the resin/hardener ratio.

I will try it today and hopefully it will work. Thanks for the advice.

fantastic job man, it looks great =D keep up the good work and good luck

thank you so much! it means a lot that people are appreciating my first costume!

Yes you're not using enough catalyst probably or not warm enough. It should say on resin can how many drops to use. I usually use 12 drops per ounce of resin. Abrant has good tutorials on resin in his YouTube videos.

CRAAAAAAAAAP...i think i f*%&ed up up my project by putting fiberglass cloth on the outside of the smaller armor pieces. Will this completely affect the outcome of the project? alsoooo...i hate fiberglassing. It is the most frustrating thing that i have ever done in the history of time. i will put up a pic of my armor soon and have you all take a look to help. thanks everyone and i have appreciated your helpful comments on this thread, the 2700 views, the welcoming, and everything this sight has provided so far!

CRAAAAAAAAAP...i think i f*%&ed up up my project by putting fiberglass cloth on the outside of the smaller armor pieces. Will this completely affect the outcome of the project? alsoooo...i hate fiberglassing. It is the most frustrating thing that i have ever done in the history of time. i will put up a pic of my armor soon and have you all take a look to help. thanks everyone and i have appreciated your helpful comments on this thread, the 2700 views, the welcoming, and everything this sight has provided so far!

That's a noob mistake quite a few have made before. :p. Never fiberglass the outside of the armor, it takes away all of the details and leaves a really rough surface. If you did glass the outside and the piece isn't too detailed (Like the chest pack) bondo can probably fix it, but if its anything else that isn't 90% smooth and you glassed the outside, I'd suggest re-making it, it will look much much better.

That's a noob mistake quite a few have made before. :p. Never fiberglass the outside of the armor, it takes away all of the details and leaves a really rough surface. If you did glass the outside and the piece isn't too detailed (Like the chest pack) bondo can probably fix it, but if its anything else that isn't 90% smooth and you glassed the outside, I'd suggest re-making it, it will look much much better.

Thanks for the support. I don't have time to redo it, but I will use a crapload of bondo to help smooth it out. I didn't med up the helmet, thank gosh.

Because my armor is pretty much done (just really need helmet), i have been working on a set of armor for my sister (today I started and got done shins, arms, chest and back). I just need to bond my helmet and then it is panting time. I will let you know what is going on and i probably won't have pics up for a bit, so you will have to sit tight.

Have you been using normal printer paper? b/c if you did, the parts are either going to turn to mush or really warp when you resin them. And make sure you put at least 1 coat of resin on the outside before you fiberglass to prevent warping. You also need to use 110 lb Cardstock if you haven't already. Looking good though! :D

Have you been using normal printer paper? b/c if you did, the parts are either going to turn to mush or really warp when you resin them. And make sure you put at least 1 coat of resin on the outside before you fiberglass to prevent warping. You also need to use 110 lb Cardstock if you haven't already. Looking good though! :D

Thanks man! used card stock. will be mass putting up pics from the least month and comic con. thanks for the support everyone.

Major update!!!

Here are pics of the armor that i haven't posted yet!

My Custom Foam Armor:

IMG_20111002_132603.jpg

IMG_20111002_014614.jpg

IMG_20111002_005605.jpg

IMG_20111005_204713.jpg

IMG_20111002_190201.jpg

IMG_20111005_204648.jpg

2011-10-10_18-37-33_227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back