Legacy Studios Odst Suits At Eccc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Hey all!

Anyone lucky enough to go to the Emerald City Comicon in Seattle? I didn't make it, and frankly I just heard that Bungie was there. If you didn't know, they brought along the Legacy Studios ODST suits ... the ones used in the 'We are ODST' commercial shoot!!

I did some digging and spotted some pics at Waypoint's Facebook page, but they look to be cellphone camera shots... a little blurry for us costumers who obsess on details.

Luckily someone brought a good camera too! Over at the Wolfpack Elite forum Cooter Davis was on hand and got some clear shots of the costumes in all their glory! Their forum is private, so he's given me permission to repost his images here and even sent along full size versions as well! Thanks Cooter!

EmeraldCityComicCon072.jpg

EmeraldCityComicCon073.jpg

EmeraldCityComicCon074.jpg

EmeraldCityComicCon075.jpg

EmeraldCityComicCon076.jpg

EmeraldCityComicCon077.jpg

Here's what the photographer had to say:

A few weeks ago I attended Emerald City Comic Con, in Seattle, and Bungie happened to have a booth there. On Saturday somebody had a genius idea of breaking out the Costumes from the commercial. By the time I came upon them the guys inside were pretty worn out and irritated. Of course I took a few shots, and Rex asked me to post there, so here they are...Enjoy....

Thanks to Rex Adams for the reminder too!

What do you guys think? Some sweet reference shots of the undersuit and backpack eh?

-Sean

Thanks for sharing Sean! A lot of great detail and very nice colors in there was well. Does look a lot different though in these pics compared to the other ones I have seen.

Have to say though, your's and Link's ODST's are still the best in my book.

Thanks!

Those helmet's are too small, or something those suits just looks off, I think it's because there's no under suit pushing up the chest piece. Sean's looks fine though.(Going off his avatar pic)

Otherwise those are good suit's.

If I remember right from the Vidoc they did with the Live action, the studio had access to the actual Bungie 3d files for sizing scale etc so that the parts were EXACTLY game accurate. I know this is at least true for the SMG.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments, but it's not very fair to compare them. For those of you that don't know Legacy Effects (Stan Winston Studios) made all the suits, props, and a full scale Brute for this commercial shoot in 3 weeks .. maybe a bit less than that as there must have been review and negotiation. With that amount of time I think they did a brilliant job. The armor is a kind of mixture of Weta style and in-game models... with a few artistic twists. I really like their take on the costumes, and the paint application and weathering are phenomenal. I also love the practical alterations they made, the vents cut into the cheeks and rear of the helmet.

Also interesting is that they never dyed their visors. The visors must have been digitally darkened in the post production of the commercial... somehow I would have though that they would have two versions of each helmet, one with and one without tinting of the visor so they could achieve the darkening effect but save on effects budget.

The armor is vacuum formed and looks to be .060; as seen in the process clips at 1:38 in this video:

[YOUTUBEHD]28hH6-_Bt0E[/YOUTUBEHD]

I'd imagine the helmets would be cast urethane. Cooter did say that he inspected the armor, and that it was vac formed black plastic... he wasn't able to inspect the helmet.

Wow! I wish that I'd have been there. or better yet, you had been there! That would have made for some awesome photos!!!

Cheers!

@Sean

I agree. Im not a huge fan of their undersuits. I think the back of the helmets ride up a bit too far. But for 3 weeks? Stunning work all around. Id love to sport that suit around a *Con any day.

Hey All,

Yeah I took those photos....

At first I went up and asked

"Hey is that some of Sean Bradley's Costumes?"

"No these are the screen used Costume."

I was like SCORE and fired off those photos. In hind site

I should have taken more, but it was pretty full,the

convention was, by the time I caught upto them.....

The one's in the short look like they should, the one's in the pics don't.

But yeah for three weeks work that's really good.

lol, the odst helm i modeled is more accurate to these than in game :p. and i can see that the live action chest i modeled also is extremely flawed.

this is inspirational to build my odst armor, to bad i still have a budget of 0$.

3 weeks :eek that's some awesome work.

I love the dried on mud on the suits... makes me want to go sloshing through some mudpuddles in my armor next time it rains!

Silly to have such a clean undersuit on mith muddy armor though.. but I understand the practical concern.

Sean Bradley said:
I love the dried on mud on the suits... makes me want to go sloshing through some mudpuddles in my armor next time it rains!

That's actually a good idea....

When I encountered the ODST guys, they Stank BAD!!!

Smelled like they were in an actual war.

Probably due to never getting washing, and just sitting in

a box for god knows how long, after filming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back