Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
any chance we could see the bottom?
Yeah, its just clay stuck on a legendary edition helmet! Just kidding :p it looks very cool, I want a 5 axis mill :( very jealous.

Last edited by a moderator:
NZ-TK said:
Yeah, its just clay stuck on a legendary edition helmet! Just kidding :p it looks very cool, I want a 5 axis mill :( very jealous.
wow, realy?! hahahaha

yea, im super jealous too. :(

Hell no. I don't have one..... I had to pay $2800.00 for a low detail CNCd part. That was a painful purchase. The company we used were aholes and took forever to make the crappy foam part that we got. Believe me....I wish I had a 5 axis CnC also. We don't use them here since we don't have enough time to program them. Usually we have to make props in a day or so.

I'll take a picture of the bottom for you guys tonight.....boy......you guys are needy. :p ;)

BishopX said:
Hell no. I don't have one..... I had to pay $2800.00 for a low detail CNCd part. That was a painful purchase. The company we used were aholes and took forever to make the crappy foam part that we got. Believe me....I wish I had a 5 axis CnC also. We don't use them here since we don't have enough time to program them. Usually we have to make props in a day or so.
*chokes* HOW MUCH?!!! good lord!!! wow, handing over that ammount of money n then getting rude service! youve got patience! yea, i suppose. it would be kind of a pointless investment
BishopX said:
I'll take a picture of the bottom for you guys tonight.....boy......you guys are needy. :p ;)
*whines* 'toniiight?'

heh, yea, sorry for askin so many times. :whistle: ill ease up.

I can recommend a good 5 axis router guy and does his own path setting. Does models too. Much cheaper I'm sure!

Coming along well, very freaking well.

Here you go...
Halo%20Helmet%20Bottom%2001.JPG

Halo%20Helmet%20Bottom%2002.JPG

helmet%20bottom.jpg

Helmet%20Bottom2.jpg

We've obviously spend the majority of time on the top dome. I think this portion is okay for now.
Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20Five%20(19).JPG

Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20Five%20(21).JPG

Some of the lines need filling and clean up. This kind of stuff drives me nuts. My level of patience is at zero
when it comes to the little details. Making a Pepakura helmet would kill me. I would have meltdown before I
finished cutting the first piece. I don't know how you guys do it.
Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20Five%20(23).JPG

The detail work takes the longest. Luckily this isn't a super complicated helmet.
Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20Five%20(24).JPG

Hey Bishop, when you guys get a 3d file cut, do you just give them a .obj file and they convert it to what they need to use and set up the tool paths, or do you need to do all the conversion and tool pathing yourselves? (does 5 axis even need tool paths?....I know nothing about this stuff) Its .dxf they use right? I want to look into this method of fabrication a bit further, see if I can find anywhere local that has one.

wow thanks!!! i see what you mean about the difference between the 3d model and the foam one they gave you.
i know you already know but its looking amazing. it realy shows that youve worked alot on the top.

The 3d file is not prepped although you may need to convert it to a file type they can read. .obj should be okay. They will setup the tool paths themselves depending on what tools they will use and/or how fast they will run it. Try and find a company that does CNC routing.

Yeah. The part they gave us in the beginning was far from impressive. I knew we could fix it but believe me I blew a gasket with that vendor when I picked it up. They pissed me off so badly...."That's the best you can do...." Bullcrap! I do this all the time. I know what can be done. Aside from them not CNCing it in the material I asked for, they didn't drop down to the proper tool size to get the final sharp details.

I'm done.....huff huff huff......

for prototyping a part like you have done, what is the best material to request? I found somewhere that will prototype these.....
Acrylic, Aluminium, Foamed PVC, Rigid PVC, MDF, ACM, Timber, Plywood, Polystyrene, Styrofoam, Urethane Foam, Polypropylene.
I imagine the harder the material the more expensive and longer it would take?

NZ-TK said:
for prototyping a part like you have done, what is the best material to request? I found somewhere that will prototype these.....
Acrylic, Aluminium, Foamed PVC, Rigid PVC, MDF, ACM, Timber, Plywood, Polystyrene, Styrofoam, Urethane Foam, Polypropylene.
I imagine the harder the material the more expensive and longer it would take?

Wow....I don't know...we always call it sculpting foam. I believe it is a urethane sculpting foam.

Cheers, I was on the phone to a place before, apparently their mill operator/3d chap is still on holiday, back next week though so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. thinking about doing one of my helmet models with a super dense mesh, depending on the cost of course 2800US is just a tiny bit out of my price range :p

I'm sure it will be cheaper. This vendor stuck it to me because they are studio related. I'm getting angry again.... :mad:

I got a helmet designed from scratch, pathed, and routed for under $2000 - if you make the 3d model yourself, you should be able to get it done for around $1200 or so I bet. Foam isnt cheap, I just used wood.

Do an ODST helmet please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back