Let's talk about rare earth magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuckerDidIt

Hey guys. I'm working on the 3D printed suit from Moe's excellent Thingiverse files. I have one complete arm printed, and need to make a few mods to it (Notably, the forearm printed at 85% is perfect in length-- and the mouth is too small to get my hand through, so I have to dremel a cut down the bracer so I can flex it open and closed.), but I'm starting to think about how to attach everything to the undersuit.

Of course I thought of velcro, but that comes with a few problems, such as getting it to stick to the armor pieces, or tight fitting pieces getting caught on the loops trying to slide into them. The idea of using rare earth magnets as closing fasteners occurred to me.

Anyone use these?

Also, I may or may not have had cyanoacrylic on my fingers when I was picking my nose and now have one hand affixed to my nostril. Please excuse any typos.

So you're planning to use the magnets to attach the pieces to the undersuit? Or are you planning on using them like clasps for something hinged?

Both, actually. I think they'd work well for holding the chestplate pieces together with the backplate, but I also think they might be successful for things like holding the forearm bracers in place. I was wondering if anyone had tried that.

I'm a little concerned about trying to sew velcro onto an UnderArmour body suit. That stuff (UnderArmour) does not sew well.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm working on the 3D printed suit from Moe's excellent Thingiverse files. I have one complete arm printed, and need to make a few mods to it (Notably, the forearm printed at 85% is perfect in length-- and the mouth is too small to get my hand through, so I have to dremel a cut down the bracer so I can flex it open and closed.), but I'm starting to think about how to attach everything to the undersuit.

Of course I thought of velcro, but that comes with a few problems, such as getting it to stick to the armor pieces, or tight fitting pieces getting caught on the loops trying to slide into them. The idea of using rare earth magnets as closing fasteners occurred to me.

Anyone use these?

Also, I may or may not have had cyanoacrylic on my fingers when I was picking my nose and now have one hand affixed to my nostril. Please excuse any typos.

I was planning on doing this as well with my armor and in theory it seems like a good idea the only issues that may occur is movement and how it may cause the magnets to separate when doing fast or dynamic movements
it is a great idea and i have seen a few videos on youtube with chest pieces held together but havent seen much else i planned to inegrate foam pieces into my undersuit to hold shoulders/thighs/shins and knees up but yet again constant movement is my main issue

Using magnets to connect the chest plate to the vest of the armour would not be the best idea. Due to moving around and/or being jostled when walking the floor of a con the magnets can slide apart and then the part could fall off.
There have been members in the past that have used magnets to attach firearms to the thigh armour or the back like in the game but, found that due to the weight, moving around and being nudged they would eventually slide and fall. They would eventually have to add redundanciea like straps or velcro to keep the prop in place.
As for the forearms it could work but, you would have to have the opening piece still hinged/connected to the rest of the forearm so it doesn't get knocked off.

Using magnets to connect the chest plate to the vest of the armour would not be the best idea. Due to moving around and/or being jostled when walking the floor of a con the magnets can slide apart and then the part could fall off.
There have been members in the past that have used magnets to attach firearms to the thigh armour or the back like in the game but, found that due to the weight, moving around and being nudged they would eventually slide and fall. They would eventually have to add redundanciea like straps or velcro to keep the prop in place.
As for the forearms it could work but, you would have to have the opening piece still hinged/connected to the rest of the forearm so it doesn't get knocked off.
Awesome to know, I've been planning on using magnets on my new ambition build that Ive been planning out for the past year. My forearms will be using REM for this hinged locking mechanism, as well as the helmet which will be having a clam-like hinged shell that will close and lock into place, as well as lock into the under-suit's neck area, but I'll have to test out to make sure it stays latched while moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back