Life - Sized ODST Drop Pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Soldier07

I want to build a life size odst drop pod, I know this will be very large and time consuming. Even though I have never built anything of this magnitude, I am willing to take on the task. I am also looking for some help on the idea so I can build it right. My idea is to build it from some kind of metal or maybe if I am forced to, wood. I can print out schematics of an odst drop pod from different angles and build it like that. Then ill buy a chair to fit inside and build the electronics around it. Then I could use pressurized CO2 tanks to blow open the pod door...

My only problem is I've never dealt with electrical or welding. So I am looking for a mentor to help out with this project. It doesn't matter where you live, but must have some experience in building things. It's would really help if I could find someone in north Texas so that we can meet and work, but if not its no biggie.

If you are interested, please let me know.

Also give advice. ideas and comments, all are welcomed.

ok hey im a great welder and would love to help i have been working with metal for a while being that i used to work part time in a scrap yard so i am the guy to go to and as for electronics i would go to thatdecade for advice he helped me re-wire and re-configure a multi channel radio for me and my squad to fit into the com pack that is on buck's helmet for me and i use it frequently with my squad in big game high number paintball games

this has been done before for someones fan film. i forgot the name but there should definitley be a thread around the forum somewhere of their documented process, though they used wood, not metal.

@Scar 405 Ya definitely, I am assuming there will be tons of people wanting to get in on this project. So ill consider anyone and everyone but Ill keep you close since you were one of the first to volunteer.

@AI Blue Fox If so that's great then I can learn from others, but I would like it to be as real as possible; hence the metals. But ill consider wood if need be

huh interesting that would cut down on cost wouldn't it well luckily for me i also work for my grandpa and he is a carpenter so i am still able to help lol

and ghost thanks for the special treatment lol but seriously though ask thatdecade about the electronics portion of the build

for screens and the such, you might want to co into the alley of taking old portable dvd players and using the screens off those. that or spend thousands of dollars on tablets.

@Scar 405 Well i figured I could go to a scrap yard for the metals so it might be cheaper to do that thanbuying tons of wood

@AI Blue Fox the screens I didn't really think about yet but that's a good idea

oh god tablets that would be great but make sure they are removable and have a good way to lock them into place to reduce the risk of theft xD

yeah scrap yards do offer cheap metals but then you have to take into account the quality of metal you can get there and if it is too old it may be lead lined and that would not be any good for anyone's health plus you also have to find something not too rusted or hope that they can melt down some metal for ya in sheets so that you can actually have some good stuff to work with

Dude, If you manage to pull this off, I will forever look at you like a god. Or maybe just a fellow trooper who is really dedicated. Either way, I will have great respect for you. Good luck dude.

Dude, If you manage to pull this off, I will forever look at you like a god. Or maybe just a fellow trooper who is really dedicated. Either way, I will have great respect for you. Good luck dude.

No man. We all deserve that right to be called a god amongst friends. You are just as much a god as i am.

Don't live in americaland, but if your stumped on ideas or something doesn't work, i can try to help...i just think the C02 tank idea will be too bulky for the door, are you putting them inside the pod to push the door off, oron the actual door?

Don't live in americaland, but if your stumped on ideas or something doesn't work, i can try to help...i just think the C02 tank idea will be too bulky for the door, are you putting them inside the pod to push the door off, oron the actual door?

I'm not sure haven't even gotten that far yet. Still in the schematic searching phase, I gotta find a view from all sides or a good schematic for the ODST pod from the games or videos.

Cheapest way to do the computer screens is to have your local printshop make you some color transparencies. Then put them in "marquee" light boxes.

The plastic sheets that they used to use for overhead projectors. I'm not sure if they make them anymore

Yes, they do. You can by ones that can be used with a home printer. I really don't recommend those ones though, I just bought them for a scenic design final, and found they are between $40-$70 for 50 sheets. You can have them printed at a print shop for a lot cheaper.

As for a drop pod. It would be an interesting build, considering the size and immobility of the project, but interesting nonetheless.

If you are going to attempt this, I suggest doing it with wood. The tools and materials are much easier to work with, and would probably be much cheaper. Plus, if you screw up a piece of wood, it would be easier and cheaper to replace. And you can paint it to a nice, metal-like finish if you know what you're doing.

First, I would also suggest that you gather as many references as you can. Then start to draw up a frame and you can begin.

If you need wood working advice, you can ask me. I'm no expert, but I know how to work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back