Living In Uk Need Cheap Under Armour And Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloydy

hey everyone, i couldnt find a post that told me what i really wanted to know so i thought i would make this one myself

i am new to making armour but im also a very skilled and creative person, the only thing that holds me back from making kick ass armour is the money factor.

im only 16 and ye i have a job that pays me £160 a month. not the best in the world but im guessing one months pay check could make some awsome armour by itself. its just my parents stopping me from spending my money on supplys that i need, they are not the creative sort of people and see the whole thing as a waste of time. i have convinced them far enough as paper machete armour, but this just wont hold.

i really need to know of some places i can buy cheap:

fiberglass

resin

bondo

spray paint

or even just the brands, bearing in mind i do live in england and i would prefer not having to buy anything over the internet as if it comes to it, i could always buy what i need without my folks knowing.

i have already pepped up a codpiece, handplates, right bicep and chest plate for the mark VI and have paper macheted the handplates, which to be fair are quite strong, but thats only because they are small.

as for the undersuit, i was thinking of perhaps using a tight running thermal longsleeve t shirt and tracksuit trousers, some that have those details which look like under armour should.

any ideas are very much apreciated by anybody. i have been wanting to make this armour for the past 3 years i dont want to give up.

***update***

i have found fiberglass resin hardener and bondo in halfords for the uk which is quite cheap, until i realise i need alot of it lol

i just need help with a cheap undersuit and a pair of suitable boots now please, ideas or links acceptable i dont mind :)

thankyou

Canadian Tire?

Lol you should be able to find all of those things at any hardware store, even in England. Not sure about price though, I don't know my Euros.

i can find paint now for £6 a tin but the rest of the things i need are almost impossible for me to find but thankyou

Are you looking in the automotive section? It could be there, aside from that, I'm not sure... Try checking in an automotive store too, might have some luck there.

thanks :) btw what is the usual price you expect to pay for fiberglass resin and bondo and how much would i actually need for a whole suit

If your looking for cheap-y resin and fiberglass. Halfords have a "repair kit" which has a tub of resin, hardener and a big sheet of fibreglass matt. Apparently its good value for money, i haven't bought one yet though.

Well You Get cheap...

Fiberglass

Click HereFor Fiberglass Resin.

Fiberglass tissue

Click HereFor Fiberglass Tissue.

Fastglass Hardener

Click Here For Fastglass Hardener.

Bondo

Click Here Here For English Version Of Bondo.

Laquer Thinner

Click Here For English Version Of Laquer Thinner.

Paint Brush

Click Here For Paint Brush

Use the laquer thiner to clean the apint brush so you dont have to keep buying more paint brushes but mabey a couple of different pots of laquer thinner depending on how much you use.

Spray Paints I Get From BnQ.

Not sure on what green shade but anyway here are some links.

Click Here For Spray Paints At Bnq.

For A Respirator i am goinng to use a bandana and do it outside on a hot day ooops i mean one of the English days :(

Hope this helps.

I think for pretty much everything just look in local shops & on ebay. It's what I'm doing.

For boots, I'd say don't try and get cheap ones, if you're planning on wearing it for a prolonged length of time they will KILL your feet. I'd suggest a pair of CAT or Dr Martins, they're dead comfey. Also try looking in TK max for footwear, they get loads of old stock and sometimes you come across serious bargains there.

Nice to see a fellow brit :)

I used CFS ( http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ ) for my resin and fibreglass supplies when I built my daft punk helmet. I managed to get a 5kg pack of polyester resin, loads of chopped strand matting AND all the tools/brushes I needed AND my protective gear for just under £50. Give them a call if you're unsure of what you need, they are nice blokes.

Oh, and whatever you do don't use the stuff in Halfords. Its low quality crap which costs way over the odds.

thanks alot guys, btw when i say cheap for the underarmour and boots i mean not spending more than £50

My workplace has the paints at £4 a can, but unless you have a Roys of Wroxham near you I guess you're screwed there. There's one in Dereham, Norwich, Bowthorpe, Thetford and, of course, Wroxham, which are all in Norfolk.

Halfords is the best place to go for fiberglass. I found a shop called Thorn's where the prices aren't too steep, but they seem to be local only. Might have a look into that CFSNet place myself.

Me and Wired were looking around shops for strapping and resin good and found that Boyes has really cheap goods, and I mean Incredibly cheap. There was a small tub (probably 0.5kg by the looks of it) of body filler for £2.99 and a repair kit (which had resin, hardener, fibreglass, brush, gloves, mixing bowl and stirring sticks) for £6.99

The straps are also 80p a metre for the thick straps and 40p a meter for thin straps. Buckles come in 2 sizes too: 45p for small ones that fit thin straps and 75p for big ones that fit thick straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back