Looking for high-quality armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWizard

OK, Here is my problem. I am the new guy on the block and I am looking for armor. That's simple enough but it gets complicated from there. Although I would love to eventually hand-build a personal set, I just don't have the time right now (or in the immediate future). I am looking for a highly-detailed molded/cast suit and while I should be fine on the paint and assembly side, I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. While I currently have what should be a spectacular helmet being made (Thanks Spase), finding the rest of the armor seems to be more of a challenge. Even a piece at a time would work as this doesn't have to be completed immediately. I know that mjolnir armor and the 405th do not sell armor but are there any resources that anyone can recommend?

I have seen some of the work done by the members of this forum and frankly, much of it is pretty spectacular. Ideally I am looking for something Adam-esque in quality and while I'm not interested in mortaging the house, I think I do understand what that level of craftsmanship will cost and for the right gear, I am totally on board with that. There is an organic feel to Adam's suit (and the old NAS suit for that matter) that appeals to me more so than the pep and armors based on the older HALO styles. So I guess in the end it boils down to: MKV/MKVI, cast construction, highly detailed but not overly angular, and available. As much as I want the armor, I just don't have the time or resources to creating a full set of clay mock-ups and molds for what will more than likely be a one-suit deal. So that being said does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
-D

Mods, if this is inappropriate, please let me know or delete...

DogWizard said:
OK, Here is my problem. I am the new guy on the block and I am looking for armor. That's simple enough but it gets complicated from there. Although I would love to eventually hand-build a personal set, I just don't have the time right now (or in the immediate future). I am looking for a highly-detailed molded/cast suit and while I should be fine on the paint and assembly side, I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. While I currently have what should be a spectacular helmet being made, finding the rest of the armor seems to be more of a challenge. Even a piece at a time would work as this doesn't have to be completed immediately. I know that mjolnir armor and the 405th do not sell armor but are there any resources that anyone can recommend?

I have seen some of the work done by the members of this forum and frankly, much of it is pretty spectacular. Ideally I am looking for something Adam-esque in quality and while I'm not interested in mortaging the house, I think I do understand what that level of craftsmanship will cost and for the right gear, I am totally on board with that. There is an organic feel to Adam's suit (and the old NAS suit for that matter) that appeals to me more so than the pep and armors based on the older HALO styles. So I guess in the end it boils down to: MKV/MKVI, cast construction, highly detailed but not overly angular, and available. As much as I want the armor, I just don't have the time or resources to creating a full set of clay mock-ups and molds for what will more than likely be a one-suit deal. So that being said does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
-D

Mods, if this is inappropriate, please let me know or delete...

Well, if you have money you can check these folks - http://www.westerfieldstudios.com/spartanarmor.html :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Briars armor is alot better in detail, the helmet looks slightly funny, but other than that, the main suit looks super.

IMG_0463.jpg

While the Westerfield armor has some things in its favor (available, relatively inexpensive) it just doesn't offer the level of detail that I am looking for. I have thought about just getting a set and seeing if I could modify it enough to get the look I am after but if I had the time to do that, I would just do the whole suit from scratch. Unfortunately I just don't have that kind of time right now...

Briar's armor definately looks much better - if I remember correctly, it is also vacuum-formed but I may be wrong. I looked through the pics linked off the front page but I really couldn't get a feel for some areas/pieces. I didn't really see anything on his website but maybe I'll try to contact him directly - it looks like he hasn't been on in a while...

Thanks for the tips guys, please keep them coming...

My only complaint about Bariars, the upper arm peice is squarish, and the helmet is too rounded, like it was made from a motorcycle helmet, otherwise, the armor is really good in detail.

Btw, they do make vacuum form armor, it is cheaper and easy to reproduce sometimes in the mass.

You'll find what you are looking for, or it will find you. Hope to see pics of those hand plates paint and mounted sometime.....

DogWizard said:
There is an organic feel to Adam's suit (and the old NAS suit for that matter)
Thanks for your help,
-D

Well why don't you talk to the statue armor folks (Adam, Ben, dragon47) they could probably do something on commission for ya.

I love my modified NAS suit personally though. They're on the boards too (sid is NightmareArmorStudios, plus pyro, and Red (charlie).

Those are the best folks to be in contact with. PM them. No discussion of prices here.

PM me if there are any other "gray zone" questions you have and I'll be happy to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back