Looking for some assistance.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManicCutter

So, first off I'd like to say I'm fairly new to this hobby, but I have done lots of research and tried my hand at it. Also, just so everyone knows, I have virtually no online presence. I live without internet or a cell out in the middle of nowhere so the instances where I leave the peace of the mountains behind and drop by a friend's house to catch up on email and such is somewhat sporadic. Anyways, on to my issue. I am working on making a custom bust of a character I like from a comic series. I found a somewhat basic pepakura bust and have drawn up plans to make the necessary modifications once built. I say drawn because I really am working by hand, my computer being a tad bit outdated since I see no need to upgrade something that sees so little use. The problem I'm having now is that I can't seem to figure out a good way to reinforce it as a whole. I know resin/bondo is a staple, but I'm unsure of how well it would work on something like a bust. It would be ideal if I could also add some weight to it while I'm at it, making it not only sturdier but also harder to tip over. Any advice? I greatly appreciate any and all help you might be able to give me. Thanks in advance!

I feel like you answered your own question Here. The staple in reinforcing pepakura is in fact fiberglass resin and Bondo lol. If the bust is hollow which I assume it is. You can slush around rondo inside (a mix of resin and bondo). You’d be surprised how heavy and sturdy it will become with all these materials added to the pepakura. There are a plethora of YouTube videos on how to use fiberglass resin/mat, bondo and rondo. Good luck!

yes, define luck is right there are a ton of videos out there on that resin and bondo.

I'm comfortable with the rondo method, it being the one I did the most research into because it yielded both good results and good reviews, but I was just concerned that it might be hard to get all the nooks and crannies with the shape of bust, i.e. head, shoulders, & torso. I had originally intended to do it that way, but I began to second-guess myself as it came time to actually work on it. After looking at the plans and thinking to myself how long it could take to finish, I decided I'd play it safe and see if anyone with more experience could offer any tips. Well, thanks for easing my mind at least. I'm not sure when I'll finish it, but if all goes well I'll post pics when it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back